Mississippi Lead Fling | SouthernPaddler.com

Mississippi Lead Fling

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
We're back, and boy, did we sling some lead! Lotsa pellet shooting, a fair bit of 22 LR and even a few centerfire rounds went downrange. We had quite an array of rifles, carbines and pistols.

100_1084.jpg

Just about enough to keep five geezers occupied.

Bearridge was our unofficial range master. He made sure the targets were EXACTLY at the right distance. That's him with the wheelie, measurey thingy.

100_1069.jpg

This is a shot down range from the big porch of the camp. Keith the boatbuilder on the left and Keith the violin maker on the right killing a few cans.

100_1070.jpg

That last picture had to be early the first day, because there was NEVER a time after the dutch ovens came out that there wasn't something good cooking!

I'll fill in more later and let some of the others chime in.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I have to extend a hearty "Thank You" to Pete who graciously let us use his camp for these few wonderful days. Pete is a great guy with an ecclectic bunch of interests like most of the geezers in our group. Five minutes after meeting him, I felt I had known him most of my life.

Joey

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Very cool trip, Joey! It looks like a lot of fun for everyone.

Thanks for the report and I hope to see lots more pictures.

Mike

islandpiper

I'll second everything Jdupre' said and double it. We had a great time. Bearridge is doing well and enjoying life, and helped us all to become better shooters. Keith and Seedtick seemed to have a good time, eating, sleeping, splitting wood, shooting and sharing in the campfire talk. Pete, our host, is a great guy and provided us with a great camp to meet at. THANKS PETE!! I had fun shooting and cooking. My dutch oven has just about earned it's citizenship after this trip. We had a couple days of fresh, hot baked white bread, damper bread, pineapple upside down cake, baked potatoes, fried potatoes and bacon.....or with sausage......or with the other sausage.......and more bacon,cornbread, a mixed berry coffee cake, chili and other things.

Personally, i learned a lot about shooting air guns, and a few new things about constitutional law and American History. Good times, 100%. I'll post some pictures when my big lonely cat moves and lets me reach my camera.

piper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
This is Ole Dead Eye Piper, taking a bead with the Slavia.

100_1089.jpg

Piper was really puttin' them in there, which is amazing considering the trouble he has actually seeing the sights. That Slavia is a sweet shooting, mild-mannered springer. While maybe not up to hunting power, it is a great target shooter.

We learned the "geezer" method of pumping a multpump rifle from Bearridge.

100_1080.jpg

And this is the Gang. Hard to get a picture with all the shooting and eating going on.

100_1079.jpg

100_1075.jpg

This was the temperature Sunday morning about 8:00. We figure it was below 20 degrees right before sun up. Mighty cool for the 3 of us that slept in our hammocks.

Joey

islandpiper

Sausage, potatoes and onions, breakfast of champion geezers
DSCF0175.jpg

Now, you boys just sit there and mind that Dutch Oven, ya hear?

DSCF0163.jpg

We had cell service, but no room service.

DSCF0162.jpg

On a foggy early mornin'...

DSCF0174.jpg

As I predicted we were buzzed and observed by a BLACK HELICOPTER, but it had it's cloaking-system on and didn't show up very well in the photo.

DSCF0176.jpg

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
No more pics from the other guys, so I'll add a few.

Grandma Doyle's soda bread with raisins. Excellent

100_1082-1.jpg

We invented a new sport-- tag team bagpiping.

100_1081.jpg

I tried it myself. Piper must have one hellava set of lungs! Imagine blowing up really strong balloons one after the other as fast as you can. Wow!

We had a situation that could have gotten ugly in a hurry. Piper was baking bread in his Dutch oven on a bed of coals laid on the ground. Bearridge saw flames around piper's truck and we all commenced to stomp, scrape, drown and slap the flames before they disappeared under his truck's gas tank. Whew! The chairs didn't fare too well.

100_1077-1.jpg

100_1076.jpg

Sunset. Our view from the camp porch every night.

100_1086-1.jpg

Dang, fellas, I'm ready to go back.

Joey

islandpiper

Thanks Joey. Especially for reminding me how stupid I was to turn my back on "just a small charcoal fire". Yup, Bearridge gets the blue ribbon for hollaring "Fire!!! OMG it's under your gas tank!!!" Having my suburban explode on the first day could have changed our entire camping experience.

piper

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
jdupre' said:
We had a situation that could have gotten ugly in a hurry. Piper was baking bread in his Dutch oven on a bed of coals laid on the ground. Bearridge saw flames around piper's truck and we all commenced to stomp, scrape, drown and slap the flames before they disappeared under his truck's gas tank. Whew! The chairs didn't fare too well.

100_1077-1.jpg

100_1076.jpg
I seem to recall relaying a very similar story at our freezing-camp-out-on-the-bayou trip in December. It ended with my son saying "You mean we can't burn the chairs in the campfire?"
:lol: