Members Thoughts on different types of Paddles | SouthernPaddler.com

Members Thoughts on different types of Paddles

Shacked

Apr 19, 2008
Jacksonville, Florida
Would be interested in reading the comments from members on straight, bent shaft and double bent shaft paddles performance, comfort and ease of use for canoes.

Thanks,
Shack

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Shack,

I got all kinds. I paddle canoes. I dont care fer the bent shaft 'er the kayak paddle in a canoe. If ya use a kayak paddle in a canoe (notice they dont call 'em canoe paddles), yer canoe better be narrow. I figger there iz a canoe club close ta where ya live. Find out. Ask if anyone will let ya try out different paddles. Paddlers iz fine folks......when they tell the truth. 8)

regards
bearridge

How soon we forget history. Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master. George Washington

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Going across a lake, or maybe along a river, a bent shaft will be more effective than a straight single bladed paddle.

Maneuvering in amongst obstacles, a straight shaft may be more predictable than a bent shaft.

In almost any situation, a double ended paddle will leave either of the above in its dust. I find that a Euro paddle, unfeathered, delivers more thrust, more control, and long cruising without wrist fatigue or arm fatigue.

I gave up single blade paddles and never looked back. I also gave up bias ply tires, engines with carburetors, and fixed pitch props.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Shack,

Good question mate and one that is allways guarranteed to get the debate rolling. 8) .

i have paddled mostly kayaks and surf skis all my life and to this end and up until fairly recently have used the double blade, euro style kayak or ski paddle with a feathered blade.

I have done this in these boats for many of the reasons Jack described. things I looks for in a kayak paddle are assymetrical blades, strong feather between 45 and 90 degrees and overall length around 2300 millimetres. This is just right for me in a kayak. Surf ski, shorter overall length, bigger blades.

In recent times, I have discovered the joys of a well made single blade in both kayak and canoe. I am still playing with a design for a bent shaft job so the jury is still out on that one.

Around here, if a bloke is seen paddling a Canadian style canoe with a kayak paddle, he is generally thought of as a mug by his peers. Personally, that bothers me not a bit. Different strokes for differnt blokes. :D I use what works for me.

whatever boat I take out, If i plan of crossing a big expanse of water, there is usually the double blade in the boat somewhere - just in case. Mostly though, I prefer the single blade - straight shaft (at this stage) I find it less tiring on the back and shoulders, drier in the boat and I can still maintain a very acceptable cruising pace.

My mate ,Dave Wallace is down this way at the moment and we are planning a little paddling and fishing tomorrow. he has brought his fine looking CLC mill Creek with him and one of those funny looking Greenland style jobbies. I hope to have a play with it tomorrow and will let you know what I think. :D It felt real good in my greedy little paws this afternoon. :shock:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Shacked said:
Would be interested in reading the comments from members on straight, bent shaft and double bent shaft paddles performance, comfort and ease of use for canoes.

Thanks,
Shack

The main thing is that it all depends on a persons preference and paddling abilities along with the boat they are paddling.

I learned how to paddle ( a canoe ) with a canoe paddle on one side of the boat all the day long , never switching sides unless it got boring doing it on the one side. You might say switching for a change of pace.

A kayak paddle is for a kayak , never have seen anyone using them in a Row Boat , a set or oars ...YES... but never a kayak paddle , sometimes a canoe paddle when the person knew what they were doing.

A pirogue , either paddle works great , I prefer the single one but a double is nice to have when wanting to go upstream in a hurry but I don't get in a hurry anymore. If I was in a hurry then I would have a 225 HP. Mercury on the rear of the boat and not using a canoe paddle. :lol:

I have the straight and the bent shaft for the boats and both are nice , I cover more water with the bent shaft , with less work. The straight shaft for easing along and good boat control. Out of necessity ( went involuntary swimming) I have paddled rapids with the bent shaft and it worked really well to get down river and capture my straight shaft paddle.

In summery , for myself ...( Which I'm sure this statment will get me into deep chit ) :roll: . It is the single paddle for enjoying the sport of paddling , I do use a kayak paddle , at times , and hate to look like a windmill when paddling , plus they are really noisy when paddling , hard to just slip along nice and quiet with those creations of comedy. You see more wildlife and get a lot closer to them with a nice quiet , canoe , paddle.
Being a traditionalist I always think of someone using them as a new paddler if they are not in a kayak and then even sometimes depending on the persons paddling style.
As with any sport the persons ability of doing it ( mastering the principals ) indicates the time they have been praticing it.

My advice and a dime won't even get you a cip of coffee. :)

Chuck.