Making wooden wing paddles? | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Making wooden wing paddles?

islandpiper

Just for the record, I never drink on the job.

This scooped - paddle thing was too good to pass up with violin parts littering the bench and the ever-present duct tape calling to me.

I'd worry about a paddle poured of epoxy and fiber. A facing of Carbon fiber tow on each side would help stiffness and overall strength.

Check out some "vacuum-bagging" setups. they ensure full contact between veneers and fibers when gluing.

Don't plan on bending and gluing 3 or 4 MM plywood as the internal glue lines may not be as strong as the new glue lines you will be making and the 90-degree offset between plies is probably not just what you are after.

I like Mick's idea......carve/sand a form, at least for the face of the blade. Pre-cut ruff's a little bigger all around from your veneers, and use slow epoxy......then, use the vacuum set up or wrap cord around the whole rig after plastic bagging it all.......and wait for it to kick before unwrapping. plan on making 1-2 test blades before getting just what you want.

Piper

islandpiper

Not to hijack this thread.......no, no, I'd never even dream of doing that.......but our own Kayak Jack can vouch for the Hurricanes. I sent him a week's supply that he drank up in a weekend last year. You out of towners can stock up on Pat O'Brians Hurricane Mix to take home while you are here.

Some would call it LPR........some of you will know what that is.......

Piper

Lee Schneidermann

Dec 6, 2007
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Homemade??

Goodness gracious!! I've just entered into the world of mass producing things!!!
One of the most beautiful things about building with wood is the unique results we all end up with. No two are "EXACTLY" the same. That's the most valuable thing about doin this stuff!!
How ever you decide to make your paddle, it won't be wrong if it's not just like one you could have bought from a Chinaman.
There's nothing wrong with taking your time and carving a thin blade from a piece of scrap. You'd be suprised how pretty a piece of plywood looks when you sand a scoop into it with a belt sander. Just fiberglass it and you'll have a lasting hierloom.

Another two cents from the king of pennies!!

Lee