Make your Own Paddle ... Part 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Make your Own Paddle ... Part 2

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Already figured out how to do it and it is simple. :D

Coat the end of the paddle with epoxy then mix up some epoxy and wood flour, step back and let it cure for a short time and when it gets really HOT then make a roll and put it on the end of the paddle when you have it standing upright. Mush it around so everything is covered, let gravity do the work for you and when it sets up then sand it to shape......

Anyway I hope this method works because it is the one I am using. If it does not work then I have more sanding to do to get rid of it and back to the drawing board.

I did make the paddle just a bit longer on the blade then it needs to be so if I make a BO BO there will be no damage to the paddle as far as using it to paddle with. In fact I could chop off 2 inches without any problems.

When I get the end sanded and shaped , then get the rest sanded the way I want it .... the paddle will get a couple coats of epoxy saturation ...1st being mixed with acetone so it will soak in (that Red Wood soaks it up like a sponge) and I am thinking it will strengthen the paddle and protect it from water (It already has epoxy gluing all of the joints) since it will be wood and epoxy , not just wood.

Then do 3 or 4 coats of pure epoxy to seal everything and this should let me skip the glassing since the paddle will be .... for better words solid epoxy with a wood look.

Chuck.

The rough wood flour and epoxy on the tip of the paddle.
paddle.jpg

The tip sanded and being epoxy saturated.
paddle%20008.jpg

The grip being epoxy saturated
paddle%20009.jpg

The shaft and blade being epoxy saturated

paddle%20010.jpg

My Red Wood Paddle is almost completed. :D

It is shaped and sanded so I was wondering what it weighs ....... Off to the friendly neighbor hood U.S.Post Office and according to there official U.S.Goverment postal scales it is 1 pound and 14.5 oz........... For those not good at math or have to take there shoes off to count that high , that is 30.5 oz total weight. A paddlers ....Paddle

Cost of the paddle $0.00 since it was scrap wood and everything was already here so no purchases were necessary. :wink:

A laminated ( Common run of the mill Cedar or Bass wood) Paddle, store bought runs from $94.55 to $149.95 and is not an all (nothing but, no other wood) California, Red Wood Paddle, which you cannot purchase anywhere today.

For the whole story , the uncut version click on this ..... http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2486

Chuck.