Mahogany Beef Stew | SouthernPaddler.com

Mahogany Beef Stew

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I field tested this at home. It's way too complicated for camp (except, for maybe Piper San and his musical Dutch oven?) but is EXCELLENT at home. I had three bowls of it for lunch yesterday, and never could figure out what was wrong with it. :wink: JARVIS good eatin'!

Ingredients:
Group# 1:
4 Tbsp olive oil
3 ½ lbs boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
4 cups chopped onions (2ea large, or 3ea medium)
Group# 2:
2 cups good-quality red wine , separated
1 (14 ½ ounce) can diced tomatoes, WITH liquid
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp dried basil
¼ tsp thyme
½ cup hoisin sauce (this is a critical ingredient, don't leave it out!)
2 bay leaves
1-5 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 lb slender carrots, peeled, cut diagonally into 1 inch lengths
5 stalks celery, diced
Group# 3:
1 Tbsp cornstarch & 1 Tbsp water – mixed
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Stuff to do:
Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large, heavy pot over high heat. Add meat to pot; sauté until brown on all sides, about 15 minutes. Remove it to separate pan or plate, and sprinkle meat with salt and pepper.
Reduce heat to medium; add 2 Tbsp oil to pot. Add onions; sauté until golden brown, about 20 - 25 minutes. Mix meat into onions.
Add 1 cup wine and the rest of group# 2.
Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add second of cup wine, cover; simmer 30 minutes - stirring occasionally.
Uncover, increase heat to high; boil until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes longer. Reduce heat to medium, add parsley and cornstarch mixture, simmer until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Discard bay leaves.
Transfer stew to large bowl. Sprinkle with parsley and serve. Excellent with buttered egg noodles.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
OK Jack it is now time to play Americas favorite game. Educate The Ignorant. Aaand our first contestant is none other than Wanabe. Wanabe, what is your question? Well sir, I have several. First. How do you seperate wine. I do know how to seperate the wine from the bottle rather quickly but I don't think that is what the recepie is talking about.
Next question. What is hoisin sauce. Is that Mexican or Asian?
If I could have these two questions answered, I beleive I could have a go at this.
Wannabe a cook.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
the first time I separated the two cups of wine, I did it into two, separate cups. worked pretty good. So, that's the way I did it the second time too.

Hoison sauce is a Chinese thing. It's a thick, "brown tasting", sauce. It does add flavor to this stew.

hairymick01

Bob, Hoisin Sauce is Vietnamese and is very good.

Here is a recipe,

4 Tablespoons Soy sauce - dark/light/usual
2 tablespoons Peanut butter - or black bean paste
1 tablespoon Honey - or molasses
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons sesame seed oil
20 drops Chinese-style hot sauce
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:
Simply mix all ingredients by hand.
At first it does not appear like it will mix, but keep at it just a bit longer and you have Hoisin Sauce. Letting it rest does not appear to improve the flavour any.

Re seperated wine, My thoughts are like yours mate.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Kayak Jack said:
the first time I separated the two cups of wine, I did it into two, separate cups. worked pretty good. So, that's the way I did it the second time too.

Hoison sauce is a Chinese thing. It's a thick, "brown tasting", sauce. It does add flavor to this stew.
Thanks Jack,
I've got it now. One cup now and the other cup later. Just never heard it put like that. Two cups of wine seperated. I reckon that is a regional way of putting it. Thanks for the lesson.
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I suppose, for simplicity's sake, one could pour in the full pint (two (2) cups) of wine simultaneously (as in, all at one time.) :wink: That would be, two cups combined, not separated. Don't want a lonely cup of wine hanging around, ehh?