john's A$$ finally in gear | SouthernPaddler.com

john's A$$ finally in gear

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
100_1057.jpg

And
100_1058.jpg

Took me longer to learn how to make pics than build this.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Nice, John, Really nice.

A coupleof tips, if you don't mind.

1. keep your camera in a zip lock plastic bag. it helps to keep the dust out of if and off the lense.

2. Zip lock bags are also very good for applying the wood-flour fillets.
Mix it the scrape out of the container into the bag and cut a small corner out. You can apply the mix exactly where you want it - no mess or fuss and is much quicker. Also a lot less sanding. :D

Please keep posting your build mate. You are only a couple of hours away from me. Both Robin and I would like to come down and share with you the momentous occasion of your launch. :D

(won't be long the way you are going) :shock:

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh we don't want dust mentioned in this house the wife mentions it often enough as it is 8) And thanks I'll have to use some other method other than a plastering trowel. even fingers when the stuff started to go off... I'm just rapt with the shape Mick. That all them lofted lines could turn into curves like this little bugger has, I'm amazed. And yes will try to add pics as I progress.
Sheets, congratualtions you're the first person to call it a boat :) Itsa Laker in progress

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
John,

This great little boat will be ideal for paddling round in the passage, right at your door and especially little creeks like Ningi just behind you.

I am serious when I say, that if you would like some company when you launch, we would be very pleased to join you. (hint hint)

Your build is going very well and your lines are beautiful and clean. very fair curves mate. I have allways had trouble achieving this.

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
100_1060.jpg

100_1061.jpg

Couple more pictures. Am not realy working this fast, just takes me a while to get pictures on here. This is where I'm up to at this time. Need at least one more graphite thingy before I turn it over.
Tried to show the shape of the bottom (the boat's not mine) and am impressed with Matt's work and dare I say my efforts up to now.
LMAO at Mick's little hint hint, and yep I'd be delighted mate. I probly wouldn't have got as far as I have (ok to be honest probly wouldn't have even started) without your, and other's build logs, ideas and encouragement to all that read this and Matt's forum.
Yet another ps
The vertical lines on the side panel are machine marks. This is construction grade ply which transport-wise was about all I could find close by. I selected three good sheets and when they were brought outside and put on top of the car two of the sheets had magically changed into badly marked panels. Lifted them off and cut them up before I realised I'd been done... Guess they lost a customrer for next time.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day John,

Mate, I wouldn't stress too much over the marks mate. You can allways paint it. Your boat is looking really nice mate.

Jack, the basterds here do that sort of stuff the time. especially so with a 'new customer" A local big name hardware chain is actually renouned for it. Unluss you actually carry your tmber or ply out to your car at the moment of selection, it often look "inferior" to what it ws that you selected.

I choose to buy my ply in bulk from a major ply and panel distributor. I also buy a lot of ply and panel MDF for my work from the same mob. Even with the volume that I buy, both for myself and the big orders for my work, there are allways the odd panel or two or three that are second grade. A major pita but it is pretty typical of the way a lot of Aussies are doing business these days.

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Not overly worried 'bout marks 'cos I will be painting sides anyway just annoyed that they did this. They said my car wasn' allowed in the yard for 'health and safety' reasons, and brought the ply out to the footpath on a forklift! Saved the best bits for the deck but had to jiggle. As for marking my name on the sheets, who woulda thought you'd need to.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Home Depot here one day, I went to buy a half sheet of plywood. Told the clerk that twice. He cut it and THEN said, "you'll have to pay for a full sheet."

I walked away from the two half sheets and got another whole one for myself.

My experience in business is that, the more a business person discloses in honesty to the customer, the more appreciative is the customer. My dollars have legs and wheels.

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Hey thanks Jack, am beginning to believe I will actually complete a project, rather than just plan dream and dismiss it as too hard .Now I spose I can begin to consider how/where to mount the 44lb thrust leccie motor 8)

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day John,

Your boat is coming together beautifully mate - and very quickly too.

There seems to be a whole bunch of Lakers getting made all over the place at the moment. As word spreads about just how good they are, I am tipping they will become one of Matt's most popular builds.