JEM Watercraft - Cape Fear 16 | SouthernPaddler.com

JEM Watercraft - Cape Fear 16

JEM

Cape Fear Paddle Report

First, know that I am the owner of JEM Watercraft. I designed and built the Cape Fear 16 myself. I’ll try to be as objective as possible although I’m very pleased with how it did.

The Cape Fear is designed as a recreational kayak so it’s meant for general purpose paddling, family outings, fishing in protected/calm waters, etc. Not meant to be as fast as a touring kayak or maneuverable as a white water yak.

I paddled on March 20, 2004 in Greensboro, NC on lake Brandt. Somewhat windy conditions, 16-20 mph steady with an occasional gust. Brandt is an 816-acre municipal reservoir so it’s not huge but it’s big enough to let the wind kick up the water into a minor chop. I had 5-6 inches waves spaced in very short intervals in what seemed like coming from different directions. You could look out and see the waves moving in different ways. Hardly ocean swells but not smooth waters. In addition, I had power boats zipping all around me.

The launch from the dock area was good. But once I got around the tip of the inlet, instant wind. I wasn’t ready for it and the boat began to turn from the wind and because I was at 45 degrees to the wind and waves. I corrected to go into the wind head on. Had a constant small choppy soup to deal with but the yak bit into the waves well and rolled over the bigger ones easily. I had a ski boat that was launching next to me so I stopped paddling to let him go by. Apparently he thought it would be fun to come within 20 yards of me and give the engine all it had. His wake came at me directly sideways but I was ready. The yak rolled over them nicely with no sudden tippy feeling. To be honest, I thought it would be worse. The power boat was moving pretty good by the time he passed me.

She tracked very well through the wind and soup I was in. But it got old quick. It was the kind of conditions where you put your paddle in the water and it feels likes it’s getting pulled through the water at the beginning of your stroke. She handled very well and not once did it feel unstable. I built her light out of marine plywood and fiberglass. Very responsive compared to the Tarpon 160 I paddled recently. I’ll get an official weight soon. Can you believe I don’t have a scale in the house?

I finally got over to one of the coves about ½ mile away where the wind was blocked and I could play around. Maneuverability was good to very good for a 16-foot yak. I leaned over to heel her up to the upper chine, 22 degrees, and she felt very stable. No tippy feeling or sudden “looseâ€Â

aub77

Nov 15, 2003
Birmingham, Alabama
That is the favorite of your designs. Only thing that I don't like is that tortured plywood at the bow and stern in the first two pictures. At least it looks that way and it looks great but difficult to achieve. That is one thing that is nice about Jacques' boat designs--he keeps it simple as far as bending the plywood. Am I off-base here?

JEM

The "released" Cape Fear plans are not as tortured.

I ran into one issue with bending the wood. I drilled a stitch hole too close to the edge and it split the wood where I was bending it. I looked at that and thought any builder could make the same mistake so I backed off on the curve tightness quite a bit and developed a new design "rule" for future plans.

Other than that one issue, everything came together just fine.

One item you have to keep in mind, with larger boats, it's easier to keep curves simple. Jaques is venturing into the tortured designs more. Look at the CS23 and 25.

I want to break from tradition so my designs will have the bends and unique shapes. But I'll still stay within what can reasonably be done.