I finally did it | SouthernPaddler.com

I finally did it

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I have worked steel all my life and just never got around to making a knife ,well this week I made 2 ,

k004.jpg

just need to oil the wood finish polishing and finish sharpening them.
Was a blast might have to make a few more
Ron

bcwetcoast

Feb 11, 2012
They look really nice, especially the handles. What did you make them from? Did you heat treat them?

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
handles are local ceder bottom knife is 440c top knife is a knife my son bought when he was a kid and broke the tip off so I redid the tip polished on it a little and put on a new handle.
Ron

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Looking good, Ron. Beware, though. Knifemaking can become habit-forming too. Before you know it, you'll have big hulking knife grinders, polishers, furnaces and even MORE sandpaper. :) And you'll never through away a piece of wood longer than 4". Ask me how I know.

Joey

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
In light of what's happening here I feel compelled to repost a post I Put on several years ago. It is still happening and probably will always be so. So here it is.

I have been on this forum for about 2 years. Been reading The JEM forum for about as long. I have thourghly enjoyed both. Right off I saw something that was strange and different. I guess I first noticed it in Mick. Later I noticed that Chuck had probally been afflicted long before Mick. Didn't think a lot about it, just thought it was courious. As time marched on, I begain to notice it spreading (or I was becoming more aware of it) to other members. At first I thought it was just a boat thing. Later I realized it had nothing to do with boats. Boats were just a manifestation of this phenomenon. Boats, bow building, knife making, cooking, camping, guns, photography, beer (Scotch is not as nearly widespread), growing a garden, ect.. The list is endless. I checked with the CCD in Atlanta about this. They said that they were aware of this and were tracking it but it was not a potential hazard to the general public. CCD said that this only affects an indivudial, his family, and a small circle of friends ( guess they never measured how far the sound of bagpipes carry). CCD did mention that if an indivudial had several diferent manifestations of this at the same time, it could cause severe stress trying to decide what to do next. Being pulled in so many directions at the same time is not healthy they said. CCD did think it strange that so many with this afliction have gathered togather in these two forums and that so many were on both forums. Talking to Ron on the phone, I lightly mentioned this to him a couple of times, but I didn't have the full picture yet. Ron, I now know what afflicts most of us. CCD told me there is an official name for this desease, condition, or afliction.
HOGS (Hyper Obsessive Gene Syndrome)

Bob