How bout Uncle John's? | SouthernPaddler.com

How bout Uncle John's?

Aeroncaboy

Mar 18, 2011
Been looking at several suggestions for first builds. Really like the looks of JEM and Gatorboats plans, but I keep coming back to the Uncle John's Kit. Considering doing the kit as an "icebreaking" project and then doing the full scale plans for next project. Looking for comments from any who have built kits from Uncle Johns - advantages and disadvantages - would you do it again - you know the drill . Thanks.

islandpiper

hey buddy, glad to toss in my two cents worth. Sure, build a UJ. They are affordable and seaworthy. They build pretty fast with "normal" tools. You can build them on two sawhorses out in the yard. They don't require any forms or strong-backs or any other material that does not end up in the finished boat. You can paddle, hand a trolling motor, take the kids out, get up and walk around, and carry a freakin' TON OF STUFF in them. You can sit in a UJ and haul blue-crab pots aboard, dump the crabs and set the pots again.

This is the "voice of experience" speaking here. I've built three of them. Two are off with other owners: my son and my friend John, and they've been used in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska and Louisiana. Mine has MANY MANY "SEA MILES" on it, and now, years later it has gotten soft in the bottom which is my fault, not the fault of the UJ.

Yup, there's lots of designs out there.........some are no doubt better at some things. But, for a starter boat, all around fun craft and large, inverted serving table on the patio (set on plastic buckets under the gunwales) you really can't beat a UJ.

My opinion? Just build it. Post your questions and PICTURES here. Welcome to the club.

piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have built 5 of them and they are a easy boat to make and a fun boat to paddle. My suggestion is to build one as a 1st boat since they provide a large learning curve and enjoyment when they are done. Then move on up to one with more panels in it if you want to.

Chuck.

WDfrmTN

Aeroncaboy said:
Been looking at several suggestions for first builds. Really like the looks of JEM and Gatorboats plans, but I keep coming back to the Uncle John's Kit. Considering doing the kit as an "icebreaking" project and then doing the full scale plans for next project. Looking for comments from any who have built kits from Uncle Johns - advantages and disadvantages - would you do it again - you know the drill . Thanks.

To get experience without frustration (especially if you don't have a table saw) get the UJ with the stem/rib kit.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Aeroncaboy said:

The Gatorboat's build requires no fiberglassing. It is as simple and inexpense as you will find. The directions, and build method are very easy. The UJ method requires some fiberglassing. The Gatorboats can also be glassed if you want. You will get more recomendations for the UJ build because that is what most are familiar with. The Gator is also a good choice but it is you choice.

beekeeper

islandpiper

OK, OK......i know you old geezers have heard all this bragging before, but Aeroncaboy is new here......easy target.

Here's the pics off Uncle John's site, showing the first UJ we built, my son and I, when we lived in Michigan.

http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/davis/default.htm

He's a Civil Engineer in Omaha now and still has his boat along with him. Perhaps the only cajun pirogue in Nebraska.

piper

JEM

Uncles John's is technically my competitor but I endorse his work wholeheartedly.

Simple boat to get started with, you can somewhat customize as you build, straight cuts, simple assembly. If you plan to build more using fiberglass an epoxy, this is a great introductory boat.

I have some pirogues, but take a different approach to design. Assembly pretty close to the same.

Any design that gets you building and on the water safely while having some fun is a good design!

rngrbill

Mar 26, 2011
Just my 2 cents here, and I'm a new who hasn't built anything yet. When I get home I will be sending off for my UJ plans, maybe even the kit. Figure to get my feet wet there then move on to one of Matt's designs. As a side note several of these guys have gone out of thier way to email and answer some of my silly questions so you will not find a better support group anywhere.
Ranger Bill

islandpiper

Matt, thanks for your informative and professionally sound input. Yup, your boats are REAL BY GOLLY BOATS......and in many ways will out perform a UJ. For a raw recruit you hit it right on the head when you said STRAIGHT CUTS.......

He'll build a UJ......and next time around, with some experience to fall back on, he'll come to you.

piper

Aeroncaboy

Mar 18, 2011
Islandpiper wrote
He'll build a UJ......and next time around, with some experience to fall back on, he'll come to you.

That's exactly what I had in mind. There's so many cool designs and boats on here, and as a newbie, I see them and want to build them all. But, I know I've got to find something that will help me crawl before I walk. Thanks for the patience and the sound advice.

islandpiper

Hey, no problem. Lots of us are geezers and have earned and learned patience. In fact, at any given time some of us ARE patients. :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for advice, we're usually happy to shovel as much free advice as you can scoop up. And, remember, free advice is worth every penny you pay for it.

We'll be happy to tell you exactly how to use the materials that you bought and paid for. yup, that's the truth.

piper

WDfrmTN

rngrbill said:
Just my 2 cents here, and I'm a new who hasn't built anything yet. When I get home I will be sending off for my UJ plans, maybe even the kit. Figure to get my feet wet there then move on to one of Matt's designs. As a side note several of these guys have gone out of thier way to email and answer some of my silly questions so you will not find a better support group anywhere.
Ranger Bill

Hey Bill, here's some encouragement...even with my crooked cuts (worn bearings on an old Craftsman skil-saw) my 11 year old Karl did a bangup job with this one:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7999

rngrbill

Mar 26, 2011
WD, thanx for the encouragment. I have already seen your thread and thats a mighty handsome boat as well as the young man who built it. I have already emailed the wife and gave her the warning order that I was buildin one. Got her sold thats its for our granddaughter but it will be camo and have a couple gun mounts. Grandpa loves duck hunting.
But back to the original post. Being a staff guy now (a fact I truely hate) I have had a little time to research and my humble, inexperienced opinion is that UJ is the way to go for a first build. Then like I said I fully plan on moving on to 1 of Matt's designs. Plus it gives me the opportunity to push for new tools, another little fact to hide from the little woman.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
First we learn to crawl, then we learn to walk. And, if we can be just a teensy weensy bit sneaky along the way, we creep some too. :wink:

Some guys are able to digest and use lots of power tools; my Dad had many. Being in the military, I couldn't accumulate that kind of stuff. I got used to a 3/8" power drill as it in the power department. I've since added a power sander, and consider it the only necessary power tool I need. My cordless saw has a wooden handle, and my cordless drill has a little crank and handle on its side.

Since no ball point pen would work in conditions where I used them, I just use a #2 wooden pencil. No moving parts for Murphy to jam. "Moving parts often don't, but leak proof containers do."

woodchips

Mar 29, 2010
Montgomery, Alabama
If ya wana get the feel for it, stop at Home Depot or Lowe's and get a sheet of 4'x8' luan for about $10.00. - ( Even if it isn't what you will use to build your pirogue with )
Have them cut it into 4 pieces 11 inches wide by 8 feet long and make sure they did a good straight cut. They will do this for free. But ask about any cut charges first.
Then get you some epoxy, ( it can even be the cheep stuff for this ) the longer set time the better.
Then go to the UJ's web site and in there he will show you a scarf joint. Or in Ol'Sparkey's, 'serious boat building questions' section, - under the ' F.A.Q and hints ' thread he will explain a but joint.
Once you have made a 16 foot long side panel your confidence will boom and your order for the kit won't get to you fast enough. Then you can ask questions about glassing.
I here Chucks buddy Larry at Raka, will be happy to get you all the supplies for the epoxy and glass cloth you need.
At some point your planning too, has to turn into sweating over, so you can enjoy it.