Hot Buttered Rum | SouthernPaddler.com

Hot Buttered Rum

islandpiper

Winter is here. Support the Dairy industry, buy more butter.

This hits the spot on a cold winter evening.......and it's always evening someplace in the world.

Ingredients
• 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
• 2 cups light brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
• Pinch ground cloves
• Pinch salt
• Bottle dark rum
• Boiling water
Directions
In a bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt. Refrigerate until almost firm. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the butter mixture into 12 small mugs. Pour about 3 ounces of rum into each mug (filling about halfway). Top with boiling water (to fill the remaining half), stir well, and serve immediately.

Piper (smiling)

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
islandpiper said:
...... Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the butter mixture into 12 small mugs. Pour about 3 ounces of rum into each mug (filling about halfway). Top with boiling water (to fill the remaining half), stir well, and serve immediately.

Piper (smiling)

OR ......spoon 2 tablespoons of the mixture into a small mug 12 times..... HICK!

Sounds like a good recipe, Piper.

Joey

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Wan nabe one kenobi,

Ya'll mix saki with butter? Reminds me of rice 'n gravy. :roll:

regardysan
bearridge

The big thieves hang the little ones. Czech proverb

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Bear,
Beleive it or not, I'vy never tasted Saki. My Dad never allowed me to drink Saki. He told me that I was not a true Japaneese like himself or a true Mexican like my mother (which is why I never got to taste Tequilla) but I was a true American, so I should drink bourbon. This has been one of my biggest conflicts in life. In todays political corredt climate I am not allowed to be just an American. I have to be something else also. So would I be a Japacan or a Mexineese?
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
jimsong said:
Bob,
You have not missed much, not tasting saki.
Oh! Contrair'e!! Hot saki warms not only the blood, but the psyche as well.

Never, never think that good saki (the clear product, not the pee yellow stuff) isn't good for the soul. I've spent a few evenings courting this.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Wa nabi san,

I am with Singin' Jim on the tequila. Since ya live in Texas, I reckon good sippin' whiskey makes a good choice. It aint bad even at the higher latitudes. I drink cheap tequila with a lemon 'n some salt, but the good tequila goes down good all by itsownself.

regards
bearridge

Woodrow Call: That was a dang stupid thing to do--bringing that old sign along--you'll have us the laughing stock of the whole country--with that--we don't rent pigs part.
Gus McCrae: Well, we don't rent pigs. I figured it's better to say it right up front--'cause a man that does like to rent pigs is--is hard to stop.
Woodrow Call: If that ain't bad enough you got all those Greek words on there too--
Gus McCrae: I told you Woodrow a long time ago it ain't Greek -- it's Latin.
Woodrow Call: What does it say in Latin?
Gus McCrae: Well, it's a motto--it just says itself -uva uvam vivendo varia fit....
Woodrow Call: You don't have any idea what it says--you found that in some old book or something-- for all you know it invites people to rob us.
Gus McCrae: Well, the first man that comes along that reads Latin is welcome to rob us as far as I'm concerned. I'd like the chance to shoot at an educated man once in my life.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Bear and Jim,
Since my Dad died I have drank a little tequilla. Still wont drink Saki. I'm scared his ghost would come down and be nipping at my heels. Since there are so many Mexicans in Texas I figgured tequilla would be ok. But I sure wouldn't mind trying Pipers hot buttered rum. Sounds good.
Bob

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Bob,

Ya wanna drink rum? Git a eye patch, a parrot, a black spot, a long knife 'n a stylish hat. Next comes the "yo, ho, ho".....[be careful when ya say that....see what they done ta Don Imus?] If ya draw some good cards, ya git ta swashbuckle all nite long. :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge

Fifteen men on a dead man’s chest, Yo, ho, ho and a bottle of Rum. 17th century 401(k) savings plan for buccaneers

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
In a previous life...about a million years ago when in college, we made a drink called Northern Lights. It would heat ya up real quick in more ways than one.
The recipe called for warming up a gallon of port wine and put in some citrus slices like orange and grapefruit , also stir in some sugar . After the sugar got blended in and the fruit had a chance to flavor the warm port, you poured it into a large FIREPROOF punch bowl. You than get a fifth of 151 rum and pour it over the warm port concoction over the back of a large spoon to let it kind of float over the warm port. You than lit it with a match and it gave off a beautiful blue flame that the girls thought was just fantastic.
A cup or two of this stuff would make you take back stuff you never stole! :oops:

Anyway, we did it one night before Christmas break and someone provided us a punch bowl that was neither fire or heat proof unknown to us. Everyone was admiring the beautiful Northern Lights given off in that punch bowl when all of a sudden the thing cracked into two pieces.The fiery fluid rolled off the table and onto the hardwood floor of the frat house flames advancing as it spread. :shock: It sure was pretty as a few ran for fire extinguishers. Someone yelled....DON"T PUT IT OUT YET! We want some pictures! Long story short....we out the fire out but not before it got the curtains, Christmas Tree and some damage to the hardwood floor. We never made Northern Lights again! That 151 is some dangerous stuff! :roll:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend oldyaker,

I didnt know ya wuz in the Animal House. :lol:

regards
bearridge

Charlie Allnut: A man takes a drop too much once in a while, it's only human nature.

Rose Sayer: Nature, Mr. Allnut, is what we are put in this world to rise above.