Home Grown Dry Top | SouthernPaddler.com

Home Grown Dry Top

nobucks

As usual, I don't have $150 - $200 to shell out for kayaking stuff, so I decided that I could make my own dry top. My wife did the sewing, although I modified the pattern and did the seam tape. Not counting labor, the top came in at $40 in materials.

It is probably more accurate to say that it's a semi-dry top, since the neck seal is adjustable, but otherwise, it passed the shower test this morning and kept me totally dry, with the exception of a little bit of seepage at the neck line. I think that may be due to difficulty of taping the layers of fabric there. I sealed the outside nicely, but water, obviously gets in through the grommets and then makes its way through the inner neoprene seam. I'll probably apply some Aquaseal to that problem, we'll see. I do have some latex neck and wrist seals laying around, but I thought the neoprene would be more comfortable, and almost as watertight, without being so fragile.

I used the Crater Lake Pullover pattern #769 from Green Pepper Patterns, although I can't find that pattern on their site anymore. I picked up the pattern on eBay for about $5.00. I'd think that any of the fleece pullover patterns would probably also work. Plus, you wouldn't have to modify the pattern as much. The jacket pattern I used was supposed to have insulation and contrasting colored facings and insets. I left all of those out of it and cut the front as one piece and the back as one piece, instead of three pieces for each as called for in the pattern. Less seams to seal. Also, the Fairbanks Pullover, #124, looks like it would make a nice expedition style drytop.

Anyway, the details: Fabric is Ultrex 3 layer, waterproof and breathable; tight, neoprene cuffs with velcro straps to give it an even tighter seal; Mustang style adjustable neoprene neck seal; neoprene waist seal. All of the seams are taped so that they're waterproof. The whole jacket took about 5 yards of seam tape! For the wrinkly waist and wrist sections, I stretched the neoprene tight so that any wrinkles between the neoprene and the fabric went away, then ironed on the tape, let it cool, and then moved on to the next iron sized section of seam.

One other thing I'd like to do is make a top with a double tunnel, so that the sprayskirt could go between the two, but I didn't want to tax my wife's patience with my sewing requests. I can't wait to hear what she says when I tell her I want to make a drysuit! On and in the water testing will happen whenever I can get away from work for a bit for some paddling.

The fabric looks grey in the photos, but it's black. The neoprene is 2mm at the neck, 3mm at the waist and the wrists.

The original pattern:
GP415.jpg

The outside of the jacket:
bdkdrytop01.jpg

Detail of the Mustang style adjustable neck seal:
bdkdrytop02.jpg

Inside of the jacket. The black lines are waterproof tape:
bdkdrytop03.jpg

http://www.blackdogkayaks.com/drytop.html

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
We have the smarts to make our own boats , then the paddles , why not the rest of the gear.

Who said that you have to purchase it , make it like your boat ... the way you want it. I think it is called customizing to the persons desires.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
nobucks said:
... but otherwise, it passed the shower test this morning and kept me totally dry, ...
I've heard of fellas taking a shower with a rain coat on....

Joel, all kidding aside CONGRATULATIONS! You've broken new ice. (You'll likely have to break some more to go paddling in may at Marquette MI)

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Interesting site..........great winter projects to keep sanity thinking of paddling and camping. Nice job!

nobucks

The ice has finally officially left Marquette. We had ice in the water and on the beach until just last week, but now we can actually beach launch. Of course, it's still too cold to swim in, so I'll be wearing my 7mm farmer John underneath the drytop.

I did a bathtub test last night on the wrist seals while running a bath for my 4 year old. The right wrist passed, but I found that the left cuff had three spots where the fabric had very small folds in it where the waterproof tape goes over it. Water dripped in at a fairly quick rate. What to do? Stick a tube of Auquaseal in the fold and fill it up! After careful examination, it looks like there are a couple of spots like that on the waist as well.

I ordered 5 yards of Gore-Tex today with some eBay cash so a drysuit is now officially in the works! I'm planning on Gore-tex socks with that and latex wrist seals.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Joel,

I'm not real familiar with Aqua seal. I use silicone grease (food grade) for several things around the house & boats. That might work too?

I suppose, one could use Crisco. Then when you stop for lunch, fry either pancakes or fresh-caught fish?

nobucks

You can find Aquaseal at dive shops and probably at your local kayaking shop. It sticks to everything, is flexible after it cures, and is very strong. The spots I'm talking about sealing are only 1/8" to 1/4" wide. I'm planning on putting some on my finger and then smooshing it into the opening. Probably not as finger licking good as Crisco would be.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp? ... &src=champ

nobucks

I finally made it out on the water the other day, on Silver Lake, near Republic, Michigan, so I was able to give a few pieces of gear a shakedown run before we go with Kayak 4 A Kure down the Mississippi next Sunday.

Below is a shot of the dry top:

silverlake01.jpg