Holes In Freedom | SouthernPaddler.com

Holes In Freedom

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Easy Mat
This boats not leaking :lol:
I put the holes in stern and bow like in the plans but I just didn't like the look and the edges were sharp I worried about it cutting the rope when I was hauling yak or tied up on river.
IM001206.jpg

I got to thinking( Jack don't say it) and went to hardware store bought 4 wooden knobs. I took a drill and threw together a little temporary wood lath to shape them.
IM001205.jpg

Mixed some epoxy and mounted them in hull, this is before holes are opened all the way Thu
IM001207.jpg

another angle
IM001208.jpg

After drilling out holes and tapering them so they were smooth I took some of the scrap plywood and made 2 carrying handles. They were made so I could double rope and it wouldn't slide or wear on boat but my
line on the front could continue on as long as I wanted it.
IM001213.jpg

The light is to bright but you can get the ideal of what I did
IM001211.jpg

I like the way it turned out.
Ron

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Ron,

You are a bloody genius mate. :shock: :D I have been agonising for days with a carry handle problem, and you just knock em up - just like that. :D :D A little beauty mate. Thank you for sharing.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Mick
I just laminated 4 4mm pieces together drilled a 1/4 hole hole in the small end and a 9/16 in the top so the knot would be hidden little time on the old belt sander and wala :lol:
Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
When I whittled my grab handles out of a 2" diameter, wooden closet rod, I made it to fit. My buddies asked if it fit my hand.

"No, Charlie. It fits YOUR hand." My bruises healed fairly quickly.

I placed the hole in the canoe down lower than yours, like just above the point of cut-water. That way, if the canoe ever has to be lined through rapids, the lines are already positioned low to prevent the current from rolling the boat up on its side and scooping water. So far, I haven't had to line through any rapids, but it could occur.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
DANG........

Next time don't say you have holes in the Freedom , you about put me in the panic mode.
How did that happen , holes in the Freedom , PANIC. :shock: Then I realized this is from someone in Texas and since I am from there the idea hit me ... He is getting our attention and exaggerating very slightly.

Everything is bigger in Texas including how folks get your attention. GOOD JOB , Ya Done it , My hat is off to you that was almost as good as Free BBQ , Come and get all you want. :lol:

Matt ... Remind me if I ever meet Tx River Rat to hit him with a fresh Cow Pie... Nope , forget the Banana Cream ones ... Fresh Cow Pies it has to be at three paces. Rat the banana one we can have after the BBQ. :D

OK... I have had my fun and would like to say I would of never , ever , not in a million years thought of what you did with the drill , that was a stoke of genius. As I like to say ... All of us learn something on here , even to duck when a pie is coming at you and NO I never forget things .... Where was I , :? what were we talking about ???????

Chuck.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Rat that is pretty good sparky ain,t got nothing on you. :) :lol: I have to say to I probally would have never thought of that.