Hatch covers | SouthernPaddler.com

Hatch covers

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
To secure hatches there are a multitude of ways , just depends on what the builder likes , same with the size of them.

Pygmy Boats.... http://www.pygmyboats.com/mall/HullGear.asp

CLC Boats..... http://www.clcboats.com/shoptips/shopti ... atches.php

OR.... http://www.clcboats.com/gallery/page-sh ... show&id=45

You might want to check with Matt and see what he has to say since it is his design. I am sure he had or has an idea when he drew up the plans.

When you decide the easy way to do it is to make a templet to the size and shape you want then outline it on the deck. If you dill about 5 or 6 ... 1/16 holes in a line it will let the saw blade in to cut the hatch out.
I have a fine bladed hand saw for doing that , it looks like a miniature key hole saw. Take you time , don't rush the cut.

When the hatch is cut out then take the hatch and mark around it on a sheet of plywood , move out side of the line about a 1/2 of an inch (or more ) and mark it , then move inside of that line around the hatch and do the same thing.

You should have three lines , the inside one is the amount of wood the hatch will rest on (the lip) the center line is the size of the hatch and the outside one is the amount of the frame that will be epoxyed to the underside of the deck.
The pieces are easier to attach if you have them in two pieces since the deck is angled , attach the one side the do the other side. Match up that center (Hatch) line with the cut out part of the deck.

Don't forget to epoxy saturate the frame that you just made , to give it more strength.

When it is done if you want it waterproof then put a thin strip of rubber tape on the lip , when the hatch is secured to it the tape makes the hatch waterproof.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Ron, while I'm a staunch advocate of no hatches (this was a major factor is the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald) and no bulkheads (these were major factors in sinking BOTH the Edmund Fitzgerald and the Titanic), I see people who do like them. Let me provide some observations on fastening things down. They come from motorcycle experience.

On my dirt bikes, I always had a rack on behind the seat. There, I would carry lunches, rain coats, and various other pieces of gear. I NEVER lost anything that was fastened down way too good. I did lose things that were fastened adequately. Here's what I learned.

There are two, basic ways of fastening something down. One uses a rope/chain/cable that is non-elastic. You tighten these down and they do a nice job of restricting the furthest limit of travel of an object. But, they do only a mediocre job of holding an object close to its mooring base, in your case, holding a hatch to the boat.

The other method is to use a bungee-like strap that is elastic. These do an excellent job of holding objects close to its mooring, but do a lousy job of restricting outer limits of travel in a bounce.

The only way I found that was reliable was, to fasten an object down first with bungees to snug it in tight. Then. lash it with rope to absolutely limit outer travel. The combination of something elastic, and something non-elastic did the trick.