Hairies First Paddle | SouthernPaddler.com

Hairies First Paddle

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi guys,

I was talking to my Dad the other day and just happened to mention that I would really like to try building something pretty much, they way it was done in the old days, ie hand tools only.

His response, "Boy, (I bloody hate that) why dontcha build a paddle? and nothing more was said about it.

A couple of days ago, he turned up here with a box of his fathers planes, spokeshaves etc - full set :shock: that I didn't even know he had. He also had a bunch of 71/2" X 7/8" tongue & groove boards that he had scrounged somewhere. The boards were about 4 feet long, clearly very old and covered in the hardest paint I have ever seen. " Here is your paddle, boy. Oh yeah, and I thought you might like these planes. They were my Dads."

To say I was gobsmacked and thrilled is an understatement. I just love old tools and they are the only thing of my grandfather's that I have, and they are beautiful.

Anyway, back to the story, I had a rough idea of what I wanted to do for a paddle so I started removing the paint on a board and as I did so, the grain started to show though. :shock: It is hoop pine. Years ago, it was milled here, and marketed as Oregon and was used a lot in house making (solid timber walls etc) beautiful stuff and no longer available. Straight grained, knot free and just about 30% heavier than cedar but a heck of a lot stronger. I haven't had the pleasure of working with Hoop Pine before.

I cheated a bit, I ripped a couple of the boards down on the table saw, but after that, It was all hand tools. I am pretty pleased so far with the result. I got the first coats of epoxy on today and will post some piccies of the end product tomorrow. (The next one will be much better. :D

From this,
IMG_0659Small.jpg

to this
IMG_0660Small.jpg

to this
IMG_0666Small.jpg

to this
IMG_0671Small.jpg

Playing with these :D

IMG_0665Small.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

Boy.....that wuz nice. :wink:
How much does it weigh? I dropped in at Homer King's few time ta look at hiz paddle factory. They wuz a bit steep fer anyone with two drops of Scottish blood, but once upon a time I paddled down the Ocoee usin' one of hiz paddles.

When I head up the Silvermine Road next month, I'll try ta git Miz Bear ta take a pichur of hiz wood pile 'n hiz factory.

regards
bearridge

The foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing and swearing is a vice so mean and low that every person of sense and character detests and despises it. George Washington

spikec

Mar 12, 2007
Fayetteville, GA
Mick, it is a work of art. There is something completely satisfying about taking a bunch of old, nearly-discared "scrap wood" and creating what you did. Nice job, and an inspiration to all...

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks Bear & Spike.

Bear, that Silver Creek paddle is an absolute bargain at $75.00

Paddle is done. :D

OA Length - 53"
Blade length - 22"
Blade Width - 7"
Shaft thickness - One and one eigth inches

Weight - 1 pound 7 ounces with 3 coats of epoxy. :D

IMG_0678Small.jpg

IMG_0680Small.jpg

IMG_0681Small.jpg

IMG_0676Small.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
hairymick said:
Bear, that Silver Creek paddle is an absolute bargain at $75.00
Friend Mick,

I emailed the fella. He sez he dont know nuthin' bout the paddle, it come with the boat he bought frum a fella in North Carolina. He is in Oregon 'n sez the shippin' cost would be too much....'n he aint interested in shippin'.

We got left coast fellas on here....some frum Oregon? Go tomorrow, dont pass "go" 'n buy that paddle. Hurry......Homer give up makin' paddles 5 years ago.

regards
bearridge

Aint much of a crime, whackin a surly bartender. Gus McCrae

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I am glad ta tell ya'll that a pal in Portland lives jest a few blocks away frum the seller 'n iz headed over ta grab the paddle deal of the eon. I tried ta git thru ta the leftcoasters on here, but I reckon they have been busy outside.....what with it bein' so warm up that way. :wink:

regards
bearridge

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle. Abraham Lincoln

A

Anonymous

paddle

Friend Mick,

Was the wood long enough ? or did you have to scarf the pieces to get the handle length ?

Inquireing , but, simple minds, want to know.

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Looks lovely Mick, great to see materials being reused. Beautiful grain.

I have been working on a first paddle for my boy. I have honed my new spokeshave within an inch of it's life and it is a curiously satisfying activity.

PS. is that a home made dovetail comb cut on the end of your bench?

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi guys, Thanks very much. i now got he paddle making bug after being intimidated by the things for years. :D

Fiend Bear,,

Ya got yaself a bargain there mate. :D

Baldy,

The wood was only in about 46" of useable lengths. The shaft is rebated and then laminated on to the blade. Now that the laminations have properly set up, I tested it today by resting the blade tip on the ground, holding the other end and putting all my weight on the shaft just above the top of the blade. It took the load well with no sign of failing. :D You beauty.!! :D :D

Steve, re the dovetail combe, yeah mate. I cut then to support my ply inder the aluminium combe. I have been playing with some puzzle joints for my next build as an alternative to the butt joint I have been using.

IMHO puzzle joints are way more trouble than they are worth and will be sticking to what I know for now.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Oh yeah,

i have been talking to some old geezers from a local woodworking guild and they seem ral pleased to have a "young" bloke like me showing an interest in what they do. They have put me in touch with some sources of real fancy, exotic timber and I picked up my first batch yesterday.

I am still working out how to best turn it into wood shavings and sawdust. :D

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
hairymick said:
Ya got yaself a bargain there mate.
Confused Friend Mick,

I reckon I didnt make it clear. After the fella tole me he didnt care ta ship the paddle, I tried to find somebody closer so they kin buy it....not fer me. I hope my pal in Portland jest bought hizself a $500 (collector value) paddle fer $75.

I jest run across a whitewater forum where a fella opened up a new bizness with wood paddles. Anuther fella sez he likes wood too 'n may give one a try since Homer dont make 'em no more.

http://tinyurl.com/27t8eo

regards
bearridge

Ah, yes, divorce, from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man's genitals through his wallet. Robin Williams