Graphite Bottoms | SouthernPaddler.com

Graphite Bottoms

Hydrophillic

Feb 11, 2011
I have seen alot of graphite used on the bottoms of some the pirogues found on this forum. I like the look of them. I was wondering how much protection does it give? How do you apply it? And do you need put any UV protection over it?

John

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
John, experience, opinions, techniques, and stories vary on this - as on everything else in paddling and Life in general. I mix about 20% by volume of powdered graphite into the epoxy resin, then stir in the hardener. Small batches, one or two ounces at a time. I apply three coats, letting it set a day in between. (varies with temperature) I put it on from the waterline down, mask it off, and replace the tape for each coat, moving it back 1/8" each time to step the edge so I don't have a sharp edge.

My experience in sharp, broken rocks is that it does a fine job of protecting the boat. Some think this is becasue it is harder than just pure epoxy; others think it is because it is slipperier. Either way, it seems to protect. In looking at my boat after a trip into the Canadian Shield rocks (quartz, flint, granite, gneiss, etc.) I see scratches and gouges traveling up the side of the boat from the bottom. On the bottom (graphite area) it is a mere scuff mark, but up on regular epoxy it changes to a scratch or gouge, according to how clumsy I was at the time.

The boat slips over/through water lilies and weeds much easier too. Don't lay your boat in the bright sun bottom up. It will heat and soften the epoxy coating. It will reharden as it cools, but I would avoid that anyway. Scuffing the shiny surface with sandpaper exposes more graphite within the epoxy matrix; some think that makes it more slippery.

Hydrophillic

Feb 11, 2011
Thanks Kayak Jack I think I will try it on the next boat. I carry my boats on a Yakima Outdoorsman bottom up so the sunlight may be an issue. I have heard that the resulting finish is so slick nothing will stick to it so I guess spar vanish is out of the question.

John

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I transport mine bottom up and for short periods ( a day or two) it does not have any bad effects on the coating. I would not store the boat outside , bottom up with the graphite mix on it for a extended time.

One thing that I noticed is that during the winter when frost would form on the bottom of the boat while on the cars rack , it sure melted in a hurry when the sun came up.

If you have ever paddled a fiberglass boat threw a bunch of water lilies you heard a squeaking sound ( the lilies rubbing against the fiberglass ) as the boat moves threw them. With the graphite mix there are no sounds and it just slips threw them without any problems.

No.. You do not need to varnish the graphite and epoxy mix , if anything the varnish would subtract from the reason of using the graphite mix. Look at it this way , Graphite is a lubricant so why seal it with a coat of varnish. The epoxy is the medium to hold it in a suspended form.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Yeah, temporarily having it upside down shouldn't be a problem. And, varnish is there mainly for UV protection, which it hardly ever needs anyway. And, varnish is softer than the epoxy, so it can't really provide much of a useful service on the graphite-enriched epoxy.