Galveston Tx | SouthernPaddler.com

Galveston Tx

Phishtech

Jul 30, 2009
The wife and I went down to Galveston early this morning to walk on the beach, no fishing. We got there early, but the beach was completely covered with Sargasum seaweed. It was a huge problem earlier this Spring, and I'd heard it was getting better.....NOT!! What a mess, the stuff stinks, too. Hope it gets cleared out soon.

There were a few people fishing but not catching, way too rough for this old man...

DCRICE

Jun 2, 2014
Baton Rouge
I had heard that there was bunches of Sargasum along the La. coast also. I wonder why? What is different this year?
Dan

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
I do not know this for a fact, but if you dug deep enough there is probably sound scientific data to prove that it caused by Man Made Global Warming.
Wannabe 1 with Gia
PS. That is one of the reasons I do not go to the beach. Seaweed that is.

Phishtech

Jul 30, 2009
Did the Sargasso Sea move? Isn't that out in the Atlantic, somewhere?[/quote]

It's the same seaweed from the Sargasso Sea, which I understand is pretty huge. Don't know why so much broke off from the main body, but what you saw in the picture was nothing compared to what was on the beach a month ago. We normally have to put up with some of this stuff on the beaches in SE Texas as a normal thing, but in my lifetime (68) I've never seen it like this.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Phishtech said:
We normally have to put up with some of this stuff on the beaches in SE Texas as a normal thing, but in my lifetime (68) I've never seen it like this.
Interesting. Large chunks breaking loose & drifting around.
Maybe Bob Wannabe could mulch his raised beds with the stuff?

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Probably a bit salty for the garden. Smell a bit strong for the wife. That is why I have not put any Humeculite (not sure about the spelling) on the garden. Some of the ranchers around here puts it on their hay fields for fertilizer. It is composted human waste and stinks like siht when it gets wet. It is rank. But it works. A friend of mine who uses it says it smells like money to him.
Bob