Freedom Finally hits the water | SouthernPaddler.com

Freedom Finally hits the water

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
First thanks to Mat for a good design and set of plans and prompt help on any stump I hit.
It stop raining here for a couple of hours so I headed for the lake. Slide her into the water boy this boat floats shallow not much over an inch when empty. I had no problem getting in her rock solid pushed off and was amazed at how she came up to speed so easy this boat moves after paddling plastic heritage ,she tracked true , the wind was blowing pretty hard as another storm started rolling in and it didn't really seem to affect her blowing from the side are head on. I paddled her for a few minutes stability was good. My seat is set three inches at top of pad I think I need to raise her another inch as I was occasionally bumbing the combing. and could be my paddling technique.
This was only thing I think I need to play with I love the big cockpit easy to get in out of and move around in , the matt in the cockpit worked well even muddy it wasn't slick. Now I need to go back and finish rigging her
for a trip 36 miles on the river in a few weeks.
Love the boat
Thanks all you guys for the help
Ron
IM001170.jpg

loving the new ride
IM001178.jpg

Knees up with plenty of room
IM001187.jpg

Texas weather another storm coming in I think this is a neat pic
IM001180.jpg
[/img]

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Ron,

Nice. Very nice. Now ya gotta git a fancy hat. 8)

regards
bearridge

Old age is not so bad when you consider the alternatives. Maurice Chevalier

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Bearridge
I have plenty of hats but tell you a funny story on them and why I seldom wear one.
Sondra (my better half) and I were in Taos New Mexico looking around they had a hat shop there she wanted me to buy one. I told her that wasn't a good ideal with us being so far from home she just laughed and went ahead and bought the hat.
Later in the truck she ask what I meant I told her I draw trouble with a hat on she just laughed so I told her for the rest of the trip every time we stop !st one I would wear the hat second one not wear it and so on till we got home.
I can walk in with hat on every guy in the place will bow up with out hat
no problem
Well to make a long story
short I made a believer out of her and normally wear a hat only around folks I know
Guess I am just to ugly are look like a smart a&& with hat on
True Story
Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Ron,

Nice job - but it's unfair to hire those artificially handsome Hollywood stars to paddle around in your boat for photo ops!

Observations:
1. The boat looks beautifully natural in the water amongst the reeds n such. It belongs, as Tyer already said.

2. I'd be wary of raising the seat. It will become a different boat with a higher CG. Keep your clumsy knuckles away from your coaming, and you'll be OK. Get a bit more verticality in your paddle if you have to.

3. Pack for the trip as though you were backpacking. Kayaks carry a LOT less gear than do canoes.

4. I'm planning a trip to the Taos-Santa Fe area in a year or so. I'd be interested in your observations & recommendations.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack
If you like tourist nick nac shops art galleries that kind of thing you will love Toas and Santa Fa I really wasn't impressed with the towns If you like high desert the country around there is pretty rugged and unique.
I love the mountains and you are not to far from them a really pretty drive is from Taos to Pagosa Springs see a lot of different kinds of country
and usually a lot of wildlife. What kind of things are you wanting to see .
I have been pretty lucky traveled the last three years all over US .
Ron

Jack here: Ron & I are going back channel with this now.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
tx river rat said:
First thanks to Mat for a good design and set of plans and prompt help on any stump I hit.

Thanks all you guys for the help
Ron

Hey, we couldn't have done it without you.
Lord , fergive me an' help all the starvin' pygmys in Newginny.

Nice work, Ron.