Freedom build three | SouthernPaddler.com

Freedom build three

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Folks
It is starting to look better all the time now if it will just float.
putting on combing
IM001138.jpg

That was the lower combing now installing top combing
IM001146.jpg

putting on layers of risin and sanding

IM001142.jpg

Adding coats to top deck
IM001149.jpg

Dang I want to paddle this boat can't hardley wait
Ron

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Ron,

I like the look of that wood.

regards
bearridge

From the attic came an unearthly howl. The whole scene had an eerie, surreal quality, like when you're on vacation in another city and Jeopardy comes on at 7:00 p.m. instead of 7:30. Unknown high school student

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Feller
I got to fess up here The wood on the deck is laun as is the rest of the boat. I hollered for help few days ago on trying to get a good line when I put on top deck.
Try hard as I could when I made a seam on the hull I would get white on both sides in places even hand sanding
I couldn't understand how ya'll were doing it tried everything
here is pic showing what I am talking about
IM001142.jpg

I finally was at wits end and was looking at a piece of scrap plywood where it had been scratched as I examined it decided to sand it and see what it looked like as I played with it figured out I wasn't sanding into another ply.
They had rolled stain or some kind of finish on to make it look like it was one solid piece on one side sort of like a film look in the next pic you can see where it soaked into the grain.
IM001161.jpg

another pic this is the scrap where I cut out the cockpit
IM001160.jpg

I sanded the scrap out liked what I saw went to sanding on decks with a lump in my throat.
So we do get lucky sometimes and as this is my first build I am very happy with the yak
Ron

Hiram

Mar 24, 2006
California
Hi Ron,

Really beautiful boat you're building, there! I like the way you're doing the decks "cross-grain". Looks good, and can actually be stronger than lengthwise grain.

Jeff