Four Gringos and a Tomato | SouthernPaddler.com

Four Gringos and a Tomato

wrhester

Here's something I've just put up on my free webspace from Verizon. I write it for a class I had a few years ago. The stories I've read here are amazing. You guys are talented and inspiring. So, here's a telling from me about a trip way back in 91. :) It's a shortened one with potential for a longer telling. Many events and moments are still to be told, if I get motivated. I'm open to critical comments as well. I'm not a writer, but enjoy those that can tell a tale. I just play at it sometimes.
Enjoy
http://mysite.verizon.net/resxsdht/id3.html

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend William,

What a fine tale! We like pichurs too. :wink: I figger our paths mite have crossed a few times over they years. Charlie Dixon 'n hiz wife worked over on the Chattooga fer quite a spell. After this summer gas problem, the NOC let all the young folks go, then the bizness picked up. John Burton 'n Woody come back ta work. They both figgered it had been a bad time ta try sellin' houses. Mebbe James Jackson will return frum sellin' houses? Even seen Angus out with a rake before the "near-bout-like-GAF" in late October.

I suppose ya know Land...aka Dirt? Did ya see him 'n Willie Kern on "Adventure Bhutan"? He went down the Bio some years back, but a kayaker in the group broke hiz back. Land glued him ta a board.....naw, he jest duct taped him....'n toted him out over the mountain. Kept him outta a Steve Hawken chair.

regards
bearridge

Bibo ergo sum. [I drink therefore I am.] unknown

wrhester

Yep, I'm sue we crossed somewhere

Small world I guess. Land..I taught his ACA instructor course. His sister went to camp with my wife when they were a little younger. Angus..he's helping out with some volunteer work at the school where I teach. John B...he and I worked together to keep the water running on a couple rental houses. Charlie...tried to hire his wife a couple years ago when they came back from Mississippi. If you and I ever meet up, let me tell you about a couple stories I've had with Charlie regarding his superstitions. One's about a TV crew shooting us on the Chattooga. Another is about an Osprey and the Chattooga. Mighty fine gentleman..all of them. Good to hear you speak well about em. I guess after working a little over 20 years at a place, stories just tend to come out.
Oh..thanks for enjoying the story. I like to share em...even my kids like to hear em.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Land jest married a fine lookin' gal out in Montana. All the family flew out fer the weddin'. He iz livin' the paddlin' life. http://www.teamtarkio.com/ I went on the Discovery Channel site ta buy a copy of "Adventure Bhutan", but it aint fer sale. Lucky somebody copied it off the tv 'n I got a copy. First time western folk ever seen that river. The Scot who gathered up the group had a laptop which they used ta figger out the next rapid where they had ta run blind. Googlin' their way down a unknown river.

regards
bearridge

ps Sorry fer all the ole tales bout folks most of ya'll dont know, but these folks iz first rate, plus Payson, Aurelia, Dave, Donny Dutton 'n more. Many of the Paddlin' Geezer Canoe Clud showed up there a few years ago, but ya jest caint git the feel of the way it wuz frum all the new buildings....the gas pumps with the round glass heads 'n the wood stove in the store. I miss the ole cafe the most.....'n the two older waitresses.....always got a hug 'n a "howdy Hun". I believe Diana iz still teachin', but Robert Booth wuz back at the NOC year before last.

wrhester

yep, sorry to all, but this is sorta like old home news. for

but this is sorta like old home news. for Bear and I. Tom Decuir, my good friend I grew up with in New Iberia, LA was at Land's wedding and enjoyed it greatly. The Scot he went to Bhutan with had to be Jerry Moffit. Jerry took my wife and a few others to Pakistan to paddle the headwaters of the Indus in 91. Not too far from where Osama is holed up now.
Team Tarkio...Dunbar and Polly are 1st rate folks with a ton of talent, as does Land. The Kern boys..same thing. Unbelievable group of staff there.
Robert Booth's wife teaches with me as well and she was my son's teacher last year. Robert does some NOC work, worked with Wildwater some and helps out sub'n and driving for the school now and then too.
I started at NOC in 82 and know what you mean about the old store and restaraunt. First visited in 77 after a Feb backpacking trip(we were up from LA for Mardis Gras holiday) that ended at NOC. The woodstove was going in the store and the restaurant had a chilicheeseburger waiting for me. John Barbour, wife and kid were here not too long ago. James Jackson...I see every few weeks. When I need to borrow an inflatable, he usually has it for us to use.

By the way...WW paddlers are nuts with nothing but positive taken from that. Me..I like both worlds. Mine these days is more flatwater. I'm sure it will switch back and forth as the opportunities come. Just bought boats for my 10 and 8 yr old so this next year we'll see a lot of the Tuck, Little T and Chattooga I'm sure.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Looks to me like you have found a paddling home on here with a lot of good folks to share everything with. The past , present and with some good luck the future.

Not even thinking of all the Boat Science that will be tossed back at you as the time progresses and your posts increase for all of our enjoyment , even yours. :lol:

Chuck.

wrhester

oh, i'll enjoy it

I'll definitely enjoy it. Already do. I've never given up learning that I've got a lot to learn. You guys come from every paddling angle there is. Once I get motivated, I've got a cedar strip Jensen that I'll post some pics of. It needs a lot of work and I'm no craftsman. Need'n help on what to do first. I've been reading the posts on knives..boat building...food etc. Lots of knowledge here that I'm enjoying reading. Keep it up