Founder of Mohawk Canoe Passes | SouthernPaddler.com

Founder of Mohawk Canoe Passes

JEM

Charlie Wilson, co-owner of Placid Boats, reports:

Darrell Leidigh, who operated Mohawk Canoe through its glory years, passed on last week.

He developed several good boats, especially solo WW Canoes, and made them available to the public at below market pricing.

He was also a dedicated conservationist, who bought land in his hometown to preserve it, deeding it to the village with a conservation easement.

A good competitor and a class guy.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I paddled hiz Sunburst, Sunburst II, XL 12, XL 13 'n XL 15. The Sunburst II wuz cream colored. Never seen anuther one like it. Plastic canoes seem ta come in red 'n green. :? Glad to hear he wuz a fine fella. Sorry he aint with us no more.

respectfully
bearridge

Ya remember that little grove of pecans down in Texas. Augustus McCrae

Mohawk16

Mar 27, 2006
Lake Monroe, Fl.
www.flickr.com
Bought my first Mohawk canoe from Darrell in 1970 when I returned from Vietnam. I had it until 1987 when some lowlife scumbag decided he wanted it. I immediately bought a new 16' Mohawk Blazer and I'm still paddling it. I also have a Mohawk Solo 14. I'm sorry to hear of his passing. I'm also sorry they went out of business.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have had several Mohawks and all of them were great canoes , plus they were more then happy to answer any questions I had when I picked the canoes up at there place of business.

I would have to say the Blazer was the best but all the rest were great canoes for what I wanted.

Chuck.