Finally started the Prospector | SouthernPaddler.com

Finally started the Prospector

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Well, it took longer than I had thought it would, but I finally started on my Bear Mountain Prospector.

My work schedule gives me every other Friday off, and this was the day I've been waiting for. I thought I would start ripping the cypress strips for the boat, but as I started thinking about it and the space I would need, I realized I didn't have any kind of out feed table. So a change of plans last night, and after a trip to Home Depot this morning, I got started on the strongback. I'll use it when I start ripping the strips. Well, I got the torsion box mostly done. After I joined the two halves, I realized I had a bow in the box, lengthwise. I'll take care of that tomorrow.

:D :D :D

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
When I decided to go with cypress, I wasn't really considering the weight implications. My thoughts were, I'm from Louisiana, so it MUST be built from cypress.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Well, it'll be OK, Russ. You're a big, strapping fella.

Us geezers think a bit differently now than we did when we carried packs of cigarettes rolled up in our sleeve and wore DA haircuts. Now. we'd use strip helium if we could find it. (Not the cheap, luan grade of helium, though.)

nolafolk

Jul 19, 2008
Alabama
What else do I have to do?

So I did a calculation based on the approximate volume of wood in your canoe. It looks like the weight difference between cedar and cypress will be somewhere close to 10 pounds. Not a lot. However, that assumes that the cypress you have is around 32 pounds per cubic foot. That grain pattern and color could be heavier.

Still, like you said, there's other reasons for choosing wood types. Bravo.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
OK, raising hand to ask a question here. sitting on my other hand, eyes al squinted up real seriously like. OOOO OOOO call on ME, teacher.

Could/would you use cedar for the hull, and cypress for accent and trim? Would that satisfy both criteria of weight and keeping with the bayou tradition?

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
r r

Russ,

Don't know if it will be of any intrest to ya but.

My Champlain, which is just about like your boat, except with higher stems, was built out of Cypress with ash for the gunnels, decks and seats.

It weighs in at about 55-60 lbs.

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
10 pounds is a little more than I thought. I can probably live with that.

I have been thinking that I would use another type of wood for accent and trim. Haven't settled on what to use though. aBC - do you have a picture to share. I'd like to see how the ash looks. Not sure if I want to go lighter or darker on accent.

nolafolk

Jul 19, 2008
Alabama
You believed me?

I'm flattered that you took my estimate of 10 pounds as gospel. You need to distrust crusty old engineers more ;-).

I didn't do an extensive amount of work on the estimate. I figured how many strips it would take and sort of added stuff up. I didn't take into account any of the wood you'll be sanding off. Why don't you do a quick estimate of the cubic footage and see what you come up with?

Not much boat building going on up here. There've been a couple of pipe organ emergencies. Fun, fun.

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Re: You believed me?

nolafolk said:
I'm flattered that you took my estimate of 10 pounds as gospel. You need to distrust crusty old engineers more ;-).
Point well taken. Always learning from the master... :lol:
nolafolk said:
Why don't you do a quick estimate of the cubic footage and see what you come up with?
Started down that path and realized there was an easier way. I found this interesting link:
http://www.worldagroforestrycentre.org/ ... /index.htm
Turns out that Taxodium distichum is about 36% heavier than Thuja plicata. This validates a Bald Cypress' weight of 55 - 60 lbs, if you would expect a Thuja plicata boat to weigh in the 40 - 45 lbs range.

So, according to these calcs, it would be more like 15 lbs heavier. Damn engineers. :twisted:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Kayak Jack said:
OK, raising hand to ask a question here. sitting on my other hand, eyes al squinted up real seriously like. OOOO OOOO call on ME, teacher.

Could/would you use cedar for the hull, and cypress for accent and trim? Would that satisfy both criteria of weight and keeping with the bayou tradition?
Same same again

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Jack,

I think the Bayou folk might be a bit like Aussies in that we both use what we have.

Likewise, we both seem to have an equal abhorance of portaging. I begrudge carrying my boats from the car to the water (usually about 30 feet) and use a trolley whenever I can.

In this regard, I think ten pounds or so will be neither here nor there.

Rpecot,

Please keep the piccies coming mate. I love the lines of the prospector. 8)

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
Kayak Jack said:
Same same again
I think that's a matter of opinion. And since this is my boat, it's my opinion that matters :wink: My gut feel says "no." Thats really all it is, a gut feel. I think cypress would make a cool "Louisiana" canoe. That's not to say that I wont use other materials, I certainly will. I'm still trying to figure out what else I'll use for the stems, gunwales, thwarts, etc...

Mick - amen to the portage comment. Cartop-to-put-in is about the longest portage I can envision for this boat. Anything else, well, time to consider a different boat.

I'll keep the piccies coming. I've been real busy with work this past week. And this coming weekend I'm bringing my oldest off to college :cry: Am I that old already :roll: