FINALLY! A PIROGUE! | SouthernPaddler.com

FINALLY! A PIROGUE!

fenix1

Apr 21, 2012
Noble, Louisiana
After months of dreaming and planning i finally finished my boat. Took my time and i still made some mistakes. But, i took her to the Lake this evening just for a "test" run and i was absolutely amazed! My only concern was the stability of it and after leaning left and right till the water was almost even with the top of the sides i realized i wont have to worry bout flippin' it...couldn't believe the stability. Have the seat sitting ON the bottom and am going to have to raise it i figure at least 2 maybe 3 inches to paddle her well...other than that i LOVE this little Pirogue! I'm gonna catch a bunch of fish outta this thing! Had a 12 footer bout 40 years ago. Was out in the main Channel of a local Lake and had an Umco 8 Tray Tackle box made of Aluminum. 4 trays would flip out on both side of the thing...sadly they don't build em like that anymore. Anyways, i had it flopped open and got hung on a submerged log. Kept messing round, flipped my boat and watched over $300 worth of lures and baits go to the bottom bout 30' deep.
Same lures now would probably cost 3-4 times that. Anyways, i bought some 3/8' screw eyes and put them on the front, back, and middle ribs so IF i ever flip this one i'm not losing nothing! Everything is gonna be tied to that boat. Had more money than brains back then...now i've gota Bass Box with maybe $100 worth of lures and a Bream/Crappie Box with maybe $50 worth of stuff...Ha Ha Ha Ha. Catch more fish now than i ever did. Anyways, here's the specs on my Pirogue...finally,

Length-15' 10"...Sides-10 1/2"...Width-25"...Weight-40lbs.
Painted outside with Rustoleum(oil base)Gloss Forest Green
Inside and Rubrails Wal-Mart(Semi-Gloss Latex)Mint Green

Thing i learned during my build:
1. Have plenty of 2" C-Clamps for the Rubrails unless ya like drilling holes and using screws and patching said holes.
2. Do NOT use "duct Tape" to try and hold the bottom to the sides when trying to tape and glass inside seams.
3. Do Not use "Liquid Nails" to glue rubrails! Wood Glue works really well. Liquid Nails does NOT!
4. And this IS a GOOD ONE...Do NOT push in on sides when making pencil marks on the Bottom before cutting! I without realizing it mashed in on one side bout a foot back from one of the end ribs. Had to make a 1/2" x 1 1/2' splice out of the piece i cut off. Thank God the 3" Tape inside and out and the cloth on bottom covered it.
Even with my "screw ups" it turned out really nice...I am happy!
Here are some pictures...she is "purdy"!

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Yep, she sure IS purty. Those specs should make for a great fishin boat. Other than waves, there's not much a boat like that can't do well. 40 lbs is going to be a cinch to load and unload. I know it's not "traditional" but that boat will come alive with a good double paddle.

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
You did good and that boat should help you get a lot of fish. I really like your choice of colors , they are easy on the eye.
Sometimes the fish get a case of lockjaw , it normally happens when I go fishing .Just remember it is called fishing and not catching fish. :lol: Like they say .. A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work.
On the bright side you still get to spend the day on the water in the boat you made and that makes it even more fun.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Your boat looks fine. After you raise the seat, and do a "let's lean this thing over for another stability test" test, it may surorise you. The just-a-little-bit higher CG will behave differently than it does now. HINT: don't have an expensive tackle box in with you. :|

fenix1

Apr 21, 2012
Noble, Louisiana
I really appreciate all your' comments and suggestions! And all who post here as well. With my 12 footer years ago i used to have two 3' paddles that i used in paddling one side and then the other and worked really well, might try that "kayak" type paddle though to get to where i want to fish and then use the other to ease around with. Back 40 years ago i painted my 12 footer that same 2 tone green. In fact back then you'd see Pirogues quite a bit round here and most of them were that same color. Even the old wooden "John Boats" for rent at the boat camps were that color. Those old john boats were a monster to paddle and most of them i used ta rent leaked like a sieve...Ha Ha Ha Ha...I've noticed though these past several years you don't see any more "Cajun" style plank type Pirogues around these parts anymore, most all i've seen in years are the molded fiberglass jobs with troll motors mounted on them. I've fished from Converse all the way to "Pendleton Bridge" (3 miles from Louisiana to Texas) here in Louisiana which is bout 15 of the 72 miles of Toledo Bend Lake and i've only seen 1 other Pirogue like mine and that was probably 10 years ago. Gonna raise my seat 2" i think that'll work and after i put my small ice chest and tackle box in front and my medium sized chest in back that'll help it set down in the water a little more. Will definitely try the old "lean test" after i'm loaded out. I made sure where i put out yesterday was only 3-4' deep so if i flipped her all i'd have to do was stand up...Ha Ha Ha Ha. Not worried too much though, i DO wear a Life Vest ALWAYS. Used ta run Trotlines and Yo-Yo's on Caddo Lake at night and run my Hoop Nets on Red River for years and never wore one. A friend of mine won a 3 day fishing excursion to Florida back in 78'. Could have had ANY boat he wanted to fish out of and chose a Pirogue. He went missing for 3 days. By the time they found him the Gators, and the Gar had done a real job on him...he WASN'T wearing a Life Vest and the man could swim really well. After that i told my Fishing Partner "Troy" that didn't know bout him but I was going to be wearing a Vest from then on! That man was like a modern day Daniel Boone, figured if it happened to him it could sure happen to me. Anyways, gonna set out my 4 trotlines(100 hooks)this evening and run em in the morning. Got my 5 gal. tank filled, 7 quarts of fresh Corn Oil in my cast iron cooker, we fixin' ta fry some fish round here...Ha Ha Ha Ha...

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
This was a Okefenokee Swamp Trip back in 2002. You can get a lot in the standard Pirogue.

There are water jugs in the bow section , then a dry bag with the tent and what I call house stuff in it , including the stove and cooking gear. It is resting on the Coleman double burner along with a can of white gas for it.
Next Myself paddling , then a Rubbermaid container behind the seat with all of the food in it and followed with a dry bag that has clothing and odds and ends in it. Followed up with a water jug in the stern along with a camping chair. You can see the canoe paddle along the side of the boat behind me. There is a spare along the front right side but it is down and out of sight.
Under the seat so it is handy is a G.I. Ammo Can with the camera and photography stuff along with snacks for in the boat.
As you can see , it is possible to take a lot more stuff when canoe camping then when you are backpacking. :lol:

B1010104a.jpg

I had been paddling with a canoe paddle and Bill Logan asked me if I wanted to try a double paddle. I took it and paddled down stream a ways and then back to the camp , it sure made that pirogue scoot.

Still have the pirogue and it is as good as when it was made and paddled in the swamp. I keep it in my shop when not using it.

Chuck.
Here is a link to the trip which is posted on Bills web site. http://www.canoe-suwannee.com/oke12P1.htm

fenix1

Apr 21, 2012
Noble, Louisiana
That is a fine picture! Think the only thing bout me and my boat is i've got a bad habit of being out on the water when i shouldn't. I've ran my trotlines in a 15' John Boat in 2' waves when nobody else was on the Lake. Funny like that. I always figured if i had a life vest on i'd be alright. Bout 7 years ago i was out running my lines in 2' waves...told my son ta cut the motor. To soon cause when i reached for the stump i missed cause of the waves and fell off the front of the boat biggern' hell. If my son hadn't been with me don't think i could've gotten back in the boat. Have no doubt that am probably gonna swamp this thing sooner or later but am gonna have a life vest on and a "Bailing Bucket" so even if i have ta hold on to it and paddle towards the bank i'll be alright...Ha Ha Ha Ha...I've always sorta "pushed the envelope" as they say. I think i'll be o.k. ...but this little boat is gonna sure be put to the test. Me and that boat are gonna become as 1 real soon! Was an Army Ranger in Vietnam...Ya know i gotta find out what she can do! And i think she can do alot. Ha Ha Ha Ha...

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Boat looks fine to me! Nice job!

Funny thing about the pirogue, first time in one and it does feel a little "tippy." But the more you use it, the more stable it seems to get. I just put that down to some little understood bit of Cajun design practice. Don't understand it, but it works.

I really like the folding seat on Uncle John's web site. Built two myself and they are great. They have something of a history with this Forum, too. If you haven't, take a look at the "sticky post" at the top of this section of the Forum.

One thing I've always done in my pirogue is to tie everything I put into the boat, to the boat with a length of parachute cord. Mine has a ladder type inner gunnel so its easy to do. What you might consider is using some 1X 3/4 running from the tops of the frame in front of your seat, to the top of the next frame forward. One on each side, plenty of tie down places, maybe good to hang a cup or rod holder.

Could just get some small, inexpensive boat cleats and mount one on each frame for tie points. Tie off a anchor, a stringer, a bait bucket, maybe a pet 'possum or something.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Fenix, if you want to push the envelope in waves, I suggest you build a boat with a semi-round bottom. They handle more predictably and reliably in rough water than a flat bottomed boat. Flat bottoms (on boats, not gals) are good in flat waters.

fenix1

Apr 21, 2012
Noble, Louisiana
Decided ta hang my "Trotlines" out tomorrow evening. Had some stuff to do in the Garden and round the house this morning and by the time i got out on the Lake it was in the upper 90's. Me and heat above bout 80 or so don't get along to well. Got into "Agent Orange" in Nam years ago and it caused nerve damage. Almost died 8 years ago from Heat Stroke just mowing my grass. After 3 days at the VA found out 50% of me (on my left) didn't sweat anymore...now 8 years later i only sweat on the right side of my face and neck. Mowing the grass with my push mower used ta take 1hr. and 15 minutes...now bout 4 hours. Gotta mow 15 minutes and then stagger into the house drink a 20oz Gatorade and slap a soppin' wet towel on top of my head and face. Then after regaining my strength have at it again...Ha Ha Ha Ha...i just thank God that's the only thing i have ta deal with, at least i'm still here...alot of my "Brothers" are not. Anyways, i tried the ol' "power stroke" that first 200 yards or so and realized that wasn't gonna work...front kept going to the left and then the right. Thought bout a 3' keel would fix it but then she wouldn't turn very well. So i cut her down to bout half speed with that 4 footer and that worked much better. Think "Jdupre" got it right. I'm thinking a 80" "kayak" type paddle would make this little girl get up and go! Gonna order one from "Cabellas" in the morning...be here in bout a week. Aint gonna drive 70 miles to Shreveport or Leesville just for a paddle. Can use it ta get ta where i wanna go and then use my little 3' ta ease around and fish with. Where i wanna fish is 1/2 mile from the bank. With that "double paddle" could get there alot quicker. Went out there, sized the place up and decided where i was gonna put my lines. Started sprinklin' really hard, wasn't supposed to so i pulled up under a clump of cypress trees and smoked a cigarette and drank a "Gatorade". Bout 15 minute later it blew over, just one little cloud. Anyways, noticed a distinct "snap" when i got in my boat. Figured it was just "relaxing" being new and all. When i got back to the bank i sat there for a few minutes and just enjoyed the day. I was really happy with this little boat, And raising the seat 2" didn't affect the stability that much! Got ta looking round though and found out where that "snap" came from. The "Middle Rib" came loose on both sides. Must've squeezed most of the glue outta em' when i put the c-clamps on em'...didn't think so...but. Am gonna make some "gussets" for em', glue em', and then put some 3/4" screws in em, that'll take care of that. Meanwhile, gonna "suck it up" go out tomorrow afternoon and hang those lines. Can run em' Tuesday morning and every morning after. Most "Channel Cat" i used ta catch averaged 3 to 3 1/2 pounds...perfect filetin' size. Have decided to join the "human race" again...fished and hunted since i was bout 6 years old...haven't been fishing or hunting since my Wife passed 5 years ago...so ya see tomorrow IS a big day for me....Thanks to you "Old Sparkey", and ALL the rest here...ya'll helped me get my life back...Thankyou All...Charlie

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Charlie....

You might want to check these out , they are really nice and can be reused a whole lot of times. Now they even have a Bandana one. The wife got the bandana and the regular ones , one on her head and the other around her neck when she is outside ( normally fiddling around in the yard ) in this heat.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9844

I have one for my walks every day and it does cool a person down. :D We got them from Lowes but on there web page at the bottom in the Find a dealer there are a lot of them , besides being able to get it off the web.
Be safe out there and take it easy in this heat , no need to rush things.

Chuck.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Charlie nice looking boat. I know you will enjoy it. notice in the 2nd picture looks either its your parking place for them or you keep them ready ? the deer stand ,cooler ,cleaning table . must be trying watch keeping the deer out. :roll: :lol: :mrgreen: pretty good fresh vension and vegatables out of garden :?: :lol:

soory bout the wife thing yep lifes too short glad to hear you getting back into hunting and fishing paddling aint nothing no better maybe fresh fish and gritzzzzz.

fenix1

Apr 21, 2012
Noble, Louisiana
Was going to make my Gussets and glue them to the middle rib yesterday but started raining bout daybreak and didn't stop till bout noon. Anyways, got out this morning and cut 1 of them...after bout the 3rd try. Got 3 more pieces of Lauann and c-clamped em' together and traced the one on my wood and then cut them out. Sanded the flat mating surfaces and the sides on them and then gouged the glass and the glue that squeezed out from under the rib on the sides and bottom bout 3/8" out from the rib with a sharpened 1" putty knife then block sanded them smooth. Put a small bead of glue on the side and bottom rib joints and then on the flat side of the gussets and slapped em' on there. Got good coverage all around. Put a c-clamp on the ends of gussets and in the middle. This time i barely tightened them...didn't squeeze all the glue out...Ha Ha Ha Ha. Was going to put some screws in them for reinforcement but got ta digging round and found 2- 2" steel corner braces. I bent them to fit on inside corner of the rib, drilled a hole 3/4" deep on each end and put some screws in them. Really hate doing stuff like that but each time i've "messed up" i remind myself, i'm building a "fishing" boat not a "Rolex" watch. I hope ta build another one next spring this time before "spawning season". I'll try for "perfection" then now that i know exactly what tools i need, how many c-clamps for the rubrails, and especially what NOT to do AND what Not to use i/e: "Liquid Nails". Good stuff for alot things but not Rubrails.
Chuck, sure wish i'd known bout those "Endura" Cool Bandanas years ago. I usually use just use a small white towel sopping wet when outside wrapped around my neck with the ends shoved down the front of the neck of my sleeveless white t-shirt. All i wear in summer is sleeveless white t's. All i can stand. If those things work half as well as they're supposed to that'd be a Godsend for me! Gonna start ordering a couple each month. Gonna probably look like an "Arab Cowboy" but i'm gonna wear one round my neck and the other like a turban under that big ol' straw cowboy type hat i wear. That should really help me with this heat. Really appreciate the info!
"Catfish"...ya a good eye. Most people would've thought that was a ladder leaning against that tree instead of a deer stand. And you'r right venison goes good with most anything but big ol' Catfish filets or big ol' slab white perch goes really good with grits too or bout anything coming outta the garden...Ha Ha Ha Ha...
Gonna hang those trotlines in the morning...EARLY!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
As far as I know the "Endura" stuff is relative new. I did about the same as you , soak a bandana in ice water and put it either over my head or around my neck to cool.
You don't need a lot of them , they are washable and should last for quite a while. Out fishing just dip it in the water ( since there is no shortage of it out there ) give it a snap and you are ready to go for a couple of hours. :D

Chuck.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
yea Charlie anything with hunting or fishing sorta catches my eye. I just had to ask that question. :lol: :mrgreen: its sorta like the poster you see at bass pro about deer and other animals. all of gods creatures has a place on earth some in the pot next to the potatoes. :D

chuck and Charlie we use to have some of the bandandas or cool things you are talking about at work . seems like you could put them in the fridge or freeze them? I know you wet them first .