Fiberglass Question... | SouthernPaddler.com

Fiberglass Question...

Traveller

Apr 21, 2005
Greenville, NC
Well it's been a long summer, but 15 birdhouses, 4 homicides, a good dog, and one bookcase later, I finally got to spend an entire day floating and fishing from my piroque. I got to test a couple of different paddles, and caught a few bass in the meantime. The boat glides FOREVER with just a couple of paddle sweeps. I found the kayak two-blade paddle best for making time, but enjoy my original home-made design paddle for just puttin' around.

Anyhow....during my previous building experience I was looking at some fiberglass in the store and saw the two types, one that is woven cloth-like, and the other one looking like OSB plywood. Two questions for the crowd: #1 Is the OSB looking stuff called fiberglass matting? And #2, what is it's application, qualities, uses best suited for? If I were to build another boat, would matting find a suitable place on the hull? (okay I know that's 3 questions!)

Thanks!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Like Matt said

The matting (chopped glass) is usually used for building up the layers of a fiberglass hull while the woven glass in used on the outsides of the boat ... the portions you see.
Woven has a lot more strength to it because of its construction , I would stay away from the matted or chopped glass.

When I was working for Orlando Clipper , back in the dark ages , that is how we built fiberglass boats.

Chuck.

Traveller

Apr 21, 2005
Greenville, NC
Thanks guys. I had no idea what that stuff was when I saw it. Funny thing, I must have had too much brown liquor or something, 'cuz I just realized this is not the "serious boat question" forum....sorry 'bout that one! :oops: