Explorin' Tales | SouthernPaddler.com

Explorin' Tales

A

Anonymous

Fellas,

Its some mitey the fine info over ta the reference desk web spot.

http://refdesk.com/

It led me over ta this one where they got true tales frum the explorin' fellas. I jest come upon this page like a blind hog rootin' round fer a acorn.

It makes me mitey glad Italians aint changed much. When they explore, rite off they git ta figgerin' how the land likely kin make some fine wine. :wink:

http://content.wisconsinhistory.org/cgi ... SOSHOW=104

regards,

bearridge

P.S. I know them Italians kin do more'n figger out how ta make good wine (I used ta drive a Fiat), but after opera singin', makin' good wine sho iz high on my list.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Alright!

Bro Bear, Thanks for the link up on them there explor'n I-tal-yuns. I come from a long of I-tal-yuns and a long line of wine mak'n I-tal-yuns.
Great Grand Daddy over on the Adtriatic Sea, had a wine barrel as big as a school bus Grand Daddy used to say. Grand Daddy didn't do bad his own self, made about 200 gallon a year. I have his wine press in the cellar, if ya come across a bumper crop of grapes Bear, give 'Ol Yak a holler, I can have the press on the pick-up and be on yer front doorstep by night fall. I think I can still remember how to make wine. You see, when I was a young un, it was my job to load the press hopper full of grapes as they was squeeze'n the daylights out of them rascals. Grand Daddy would squeeze 'em so tight, your swear there waz nuth'n left but dust from them grapes! One time, he made a barrel of wine and kept it 11 years until his 50th wedd'n celebration. Well, there waz a school teacher lady who live across the hayfield, she used to drop in and visit Pap and Granny quite often.(Alway's look'n to see if Granny had some homemade sauce and pasta cook'n up) Well, anyway, Pap gave her a glass of his fine aged wine, she thought it waz real good so she had 1 or 2 more. :p She started off across the hayfield to go home and fell so many times that Pap and Granny had to go out and help her across the hayfield home! :oops: With all the wine mak'n and drink'n makes you wonder how those I-tal-yuns discovered anything. I think they was just under the influence and just stumbled across new lands. I guess I get my love of boats and water come from the the family, half of 'em came from the Med Coast and the other half from the Adriatic. Guess, I got my love of wine from them too. :roll: God Bless those 'Ol folk, I sure miss 'em.

A

Anonymous

Friend oldyaker,

I mite even buy some grapes if ya kin come down with that pressin' machine. I mite a been Italian in a past life cuz I really did love that Fiat 128 'n dry red wine caint be beat with good food 'er jest by itsownself.

I like Pavarotti.....after a few glasses.

I am glad Carlo Rossi didnt go in with hiz new family when he married up with the Gallo daughter. I like the Gallo family, but Carlo iz purty good at makin' good wine hizownself.

Side note: I took a heap a gallons on the St. Mary. I figgered if ya need a gallon a water a day, ya gotta have near bout a gallon a wine too. I wuz gwine ta take more, but when Dave, the High Sheriff, Mac 'n Swampy showed up at the Tradin' Hill spot, suppertime come round 'n lo 'n behold paisano goes good with Southern Paddler Tacos too.....after ya doctor 'em up a bit with some Zatarains which I always tote with me. [I mite a been a cajun once too.] Some a them other paddlers kin tell ya that Rossi Paisano aint bad at all.

Well, that took up so much time I'm gwine ta have ta leave fer the yard where I kin go ta my Marlon Brando (Don Corleone) routine. I sit in the shade frum the brite sun while Miz Bear works in the yard. I sip some red wine 'n pretend I have a small grandchile runnin' round with a can a bug spray. I leave out the fruit, cuz seein' Ole Marlon with some fruit in hiz jowls scairt me near bout az much az that little kid.

Only I dont fall dead in the tomato plants. Miz Bear aint even thru plantin' 'em. :wink:

regards,

bearridge

P.S. We can save olive oil fer later. 8)

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
I kin jest hear the music play'in in the back ground while th' "god-father" sips his wine an' swats flies... an Miz Bar chores along thinkin how she could place catnip jest right fer ol' Roscoe Brown to lunge at! :mrgreen:

I even had a few sips one evening in camp and have to admit that it waz mighty fine drink. Recon had that Spanish feller hadn't been lookin fer a fountain o' youth an' instead gulped down a couple o' Carlo's juice he'd have made a longer stay in the glades! :mrgreen:

( Glades would have been a lot more tollerble too! :wink: )

swampy