E-Bike | SouthernPaddler.com

E-Bike

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
Been building an electric bicycle! 26" fat tire w/ 1200 watt rear drive wheel and I built a 48 volt 28ah lithium Ion Battery. Plenty of power for uphill climbs. The bike runs 15 mph and with a little assist it will run 26mph. 50 mile range on a single charge! Pics coming!

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
A Mongoose Frame, rear wheel motor, 4" tires,
PB030144.jpg
PB030145.jpg
2 speed front and 7 speed rear.

Reactions: grandpa paddler

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Observations & questions:
(1) Is the motor encased in the rear wheel?
(2) I like the coil springs on the seat. Have not been able to find seats with springs.
(3) Does the motor act as an alternator when the rider is pedaling without power drive engaged?
(4) Seat height appears low?
(5) Front tire on backwards?
(6) Where did you find the motor?
(7) Where did you get the ideas?

Last edited:

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
Observations & questions:
(1) Is the motor encased in the rear wheel?
(2) I like the fesl springs on the seat. Have not been able to find seats with springs.
(3) Does the motor act as an alternstor whe the rider is pedaling without power drive engaged?
(4) Seat height appears low?
(5) Front tire on backwards?
(6) Where did you find the motor?
(7) Where did you get the ideas?
Jack,
The motor is a hub motor, you can run purely off the battery or pedal assist. The program has 5 speeds. The higher the speed the faster it runs w/assist.
You have to recharge the battery. The motor does not recharge.
The seat is set for me, the front tire is on right.
The battery is the most expensive part on an electric bike. I built the box to fit the V, that way I could fit a bigger battery and the bike would not be top heavy. Most people mount their batteries on a back rack. Too top heavy.
You can find all the info you need on the internet and everything was bought on E-bay in the US.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Several folks around here have used the Hill Topper system on street bikes and even some three wheedlers. Just make the purchase and install the kit on your bike.
Troy has a Hill Topper on his three wheeler and he goes all over with it. In fact he can tell you which stores have a electric outlet so he can top off the bike while shopping. I have never seen him driving a vehicle just riding that three wheeler all around. He always has Jack with him , a rescue ( shelter ) black and tan pup riding in the basket on the trike.
Has to be the ideal way to coast for a long distance a really long distance and even up a incline , we don't have any real hills around here.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
My current tires are 1.25". As a kid, tires were 2.5". They rode more comfortably and had better traction. The tire footprint was bigger. Skinnier tires, with higher pressure and less footprint, have less rolling friction. Narrower tires ride faster than fatter tires. They also have less traction, relegating them to good-weather riding pretty much.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
My current tires are 1.25". As a kid, tires were 2.5". They rode more comfortably and had better traction. The tire footprint was bigger.

How times have changed. Back then my bike had the bigger tires and the skinny tires were a rarity. Today they call the 2" and larger tires Mountain Bike Tires. Back in the dark ages they were called Balloon tires. :rolleyes:

swampwood...... That one bike I had with the fat tires on it was nice off road. I would let almost half of the air out and it would glide over roots and bumpy stuff. They really smoothed out a dirt path and better yet just float over sand.

swampwood

Aug 6, 2010
Bayou State - Louisiana
Jack,
The bike is quiet. Bowhunters use them around here.
I still ride the bike around the area.
I have never taken an extended trip, but it should run 40-50 miles. Depending on the amount of pedaling the rider does.
I live near Beekeeper in Walker, LA.

kc4zvw

Oct 26, 2003
Chuluota, Florida
www.billsbrough.org
How about building your own battery packs?

The first generation 'modern' electric cars are now past their prime. A local tech has obtain an out of warranty battery pack from an early Toyota Prius and
rebuilt it as smaller packs to power bikes and tricycles.

recycling (pun) for the hobbiest ... some assemble required!

regards,

David

kc4zvw

Oct 26, 2003
Chuluota, Florida
www.billsbrough.org
What kind of batteries are they? Lead acid? NiCad? Lithium ion? Rebuilding a battery can be a demanding process. And dangerous too.

The conversion was a couple of years back but I sort of recall that it might of been Lithium Ion cells. It was time consuming to dismantle the old pack and do the math to calculate the desired voltages and currents. You also need a smart charger that using the correct charging pattern for the these type of cells used.

A lot of chemistry is dangerous as things can blow up and catch on fire.

regards,

David