dug out pirogue info | SouthernPaddler.com

dug out pirogue info

OLDMOSSBEARD

Dec 5, 2011
Northern Utah
First off this is my first post on this site. From what I have seen it is a great site. I have built four UJ pirogue's now and love to hunt out of them. I live in Northern Utah and the marshes that we have are perfect for this little boat. I have built a 12' and three 15'6" models. I have been working wood for the last 20 years and feel that I won't to take on a new challenge. Does anyone have any info about doing a one piece dug out pirogue? Any info would be great, as far as tree species, tools, finish ect. I was thinking abut using either cottonwood or pine for my tree trunk. Both are readily available to me. Thanks.
OLDMOSSBEARD.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
The thread Mike referred to pretty much covers what we do. We use cypress because it was what was used, it was readily available and the old growth trees lasted almost forever. Best I can find out, folks used whatever trees were available, some of the most rot prone species won't last as well, but you'll likely take better care of the boat than was taken years ago. Lewis and Clark, in their trek through the northwest made dugouts out of cottonwood. So it's certainly doable - of course they weren't looking for a long term boat. If it's available to you, i'd try something like doug fir -think it would last longer.

As far as tools, you can see we did it with hand tools only. The old crosscut saws are available at flea markets, antique shops etc. - you can get a pretty good one around here for about $100. Then you have you learn how to sharpen it. Trying to use a dull saw (or any other dull tool will wear you out quickly). Same thing with the old foot adzes - they're available if you look around. The smaller adzes we had to make - learn blacksmithing or find a good blacksmith. We've built adzes from the leaf springs of a 1953 Chevy pickup and a claw hammer. Other old tools that we use - drawknives, spokeshaves, planes, hatchets, etc. are readily available. We do this a lot so we have a pretty good selection, but you can make do with a lot less. Necessity is the mother of invention.

AS i mentioned in the thread, we work the wood wet and manage water egress with oil to prevent cracking. Using oil pretty much excludes the use of sandpaper later on. Sanding an oiled piece of wood is like sanding a piece of bubble gum. Leave the inside a little rough so it won't be too slippery when it gets wet. With sharp tools you can get a very smooth exterior surface
The only other advice I can think of is to at least consider making a 1/2 or 1/3 scale model first, it's a lot less effort than wrestling a 14' cant and you'll learn some techniques that will benefit you on the larger scale

Anyway, good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you have any question and keep us posted on your progress

OLDMOSSBEARD

Dec 5, 2011
Northern Utah
Thank you seedtick. I very much enjoyed the thread about your dugout. I have a good supply of hand tools including draw knives, adzes, and a verity of planes. I can get fir trees no problem. I think that is what I will use. Should I cut it now while the sap is not flowing? Thanks again.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
can't givr you an educated answer on that - our logs were cut over a hundred years ago, so we don't know if they were growing or dormant when cut

I'd hazard a guess that, if you cut it now, you'd have less problems drying it out

OLDMOSSBEARD

Dec 5, 2011
Northern Utah
very good, I think just like everything in life the only way to learn is to do. When I begin I will keep good notes and take many pictures and video. The worst that could happen is that it doesn't work and I get to try again.