DIFFERENT TYPE MATERIAL PIRO | SouthernPaddler.com

DIFFERENT TYPE MATERIAL PIRO

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
HEY GUYS , GOT A QUESTION FOR YOU OLD GEEZER PIRO BUILDERS & CAJUNS. I MET A GUY TODAY FROM CAJUN COUNTRY. AT LEAST THAT IS WHERE HE WERE WHEN KATRINA HIT. HE SAID HE HAS USED & OWNED A PIRO. AFTER THE STORM LOST HOUSE 7 NEVER FOUNFD PIRO. YOU GUYS SEEM TO BE BUILDING THEM OUT OF PLYWOOD . WELL YALL,S WAY MUST BE THE NEW WAY, HE SAID WHERE HE WAS FROM ON THE SOUNTHER PART AROUND SABEEM RIVER ( EXCUSE SPELING )THEY MADE THEIRS BY HUEING OUT A LOG . DO YOU GUYS KNOW ABOUT THIS TYPE OF BOAT BUILDING. (CATFISH)

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend catfish,

When I first joined up here, I asked that too. Ta me a pirogue wuz the hollowed out log like Steve McQueen 'n that fine lookin' Creole woman set out in when he busted outta Angola ta go after Karl Mauldin in "Nevada Smith".....like the ones Keith makes.

I jest call 'em pirogues on here cuz that iz what they call 'em. Mebbe Keith kin set us straight?

regards
bearridge

Buy’em frum ya....hell fire ya aint put in a days work on this whole trip. Woodrow Coll

keith

pirogues

in 1812 when Louisiana became a state, they made dugout pirogues from logs, then around 1930 the logs were getting hard to find ( the easy ones to get to )so people started making them out of planks ( you could get about 10 - 1 by using planks). Then after the big war, they had marine plywood in New Orleans for the war boats, about 1947 they started making pirogues out of plywood because the cypress planks were getting hard to find. The book will come later, Keith

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
MAN I JUST THOUGHT YOU OLD GEEZERS WERE BOAT BUILDERS. YALL BEEN PULLING MY LEG. SPARKY ,JACK ,YACKER, . SEEDTICK,S FRIEND KEITH BUILDS THEM OUT OF REAL WOOD. YOU GUYS BEEN BUILDING YALS OUT OF CARDBOURD. I CAN,T SAY MUCH THOUGHT I HAVENT BUILT ONE OUT OF ANYTHING. I HAVE TO GIVE IT TO KEITH THIS GUY HAS AN REAL ART & TALENT. I MIGHT COULD BLOW THE INSIDE OUT WITH DY-O-MITE. I HAVE REALLY ENJOYED THE LAST FEW DAYS SEEING ALL THE BOATS YOU GUYS BUILD. I BELIEVE I HAVE TO GIVE KEITH AN EXTRA THUMBS UP.

P.S THANKS SPARKY FOR THE INFO & LINK.( CATFISH)

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
catfish said:
MAN I JUST THOUGHT YOU OLD GEEZERS WERE BOAT BUILDERS. YALL BEEN PULLING MY LEG. SPARKY ,JACK ,YACKER, . SEEDTICK,S FRIEND KEITH BUILDS THEM OUT OF REAL WOOD. YOU GUYS BEEN BUILDING YALS OUT OF CARDBOURD.

Fella's, Not sure, but I think we have just been insulted. :lol:

Now, if I had the resources, ability, patience, skill, knowledge, talent and any idea on how to do it, I may attempt one like Keith's. But since I am lacking in all seven of the above requirements, I most likely never will.

DM
work smarter, not harder

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
dangermouse01 said:
Fella's, Not sure, but I think we have just been insulted. :lol:
DM

DM....Ya just can't insult me! I'll have been married 37 years this year. :?

No worrys....Catfish may be on a Geezer Paddl'n Expedish'n sometime and he'll suffer Geezer revenge. :twisted:

keith

dugout pirogue

Thanks for the nice words Catfish. No one is born a boatbuilder, You have to want to build a nice boat and then work at it, the first fifty are practice. And your right the wood has alot to do with it.The time getting the log and then the amount of wood that is lost ( from being dug out ), its got to be something you want to do. Its not a money thing, most people want pay you for your time, so its something you enjoy doing. Seedtick and I enjoy all of it from getting the logs to making boat and going to re-enactments and boat shows and of course paddlen trips

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Keith, I'm guessing the word "portage" isn't real popular around your neck of the woods? I love your boats; they're beautiful. Real skill required and real talent needed.

And, I know one trip up here where it would be OK to take one. On other trips on winding rivers (maybe you could get it to work there) or from lake to lake ......

Every boat has its lake, and every lake has its boat.