David's Chilli | SouthernPaddler.com

David's Chilli

dawallace45

I was just now cooking lunch and as a mate asked me for my Chilli recipe I thought I'd write it down as I'm doing it , mine is a simple tomato based chilli and not all that spicy as my wife won't eat it if it is , well at least I don't think it's spicy

1 lb of Beef mince
2 or 3 chopped onions
5 or 6 cloves of fresh chopped garlic or 2 heaped desert spoons of chopped garlic from a jar
1 glass of wine
3 beef stock cubes
2 teaspoons of ground cumin
2 heaped dessertspoons of chilli powder
1 heaped teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1 heaped teaspoon of black pepper
1 heaped teaspoon of white pepper
1 teaspoon of onion salt
1 heaped dessertspoon of Vindaloo curry powder
200 gms Tomato paste
2 x 400 gm tins chopped tomato
2 x 400 gm tins red kidney beans
1 cup of brown rice

Brown Beef mince , chopped onions and chopped garlic in a little oil in a large pot or camp oven , when brown turn down the heat and add wine , then add spices and stock cubes , let simmer for a minute or 2 then add the chopped tomatoes and tomato paste and a few cups of water , simmer for about 3/4 of a hour then add the red kidney beans , I prefer to cook the rice separately but my wife prefers me to throw in the rice with the water and tomatoes as she reckons it makes it milder , If I have them I like to throw in a jar of El Paso chopped Jalapeno chilli or a pepper or two

I like to eat it with Red wine , or white wine , or beer , some times rum but some of my mates prefer to drink milk when eating it

One thing though with all those beans it tends to make you fart like a brewery horse so don't stand with your back to a naked flame

David

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
In Nam, some of our guys added crushed pineapple to their chili. Sweetened it up and was good.

A buddy of mine takes 1 pound loaves of round bread to deer camp, hollow it out, and serves chili in it. Edible bowls.

BTW, I'd call your chili spicey.

dawallace45

Jack
Just sat down to eat lunch , doesn't seem spicy to me but my wife is always asking me to tone it down , I some times I make up a sweet cornbread to go with it

1 cup of yellow corn meal
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 x 400 gm can creamed corn
1 cup shredded cheese

Seems to go well with it

Like the idea of the loaves
David

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Never had chili with curry powder.....sounds interesting, I need to try it.
Vindaloo? Is that a name brand? I suppose most any chili powder would work....ya think?

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldyaker said:
Never had chili with curry powder.....sounds interesting, I need to try it. Vindaloo? Is that a name brand?
Friend oldyaker,

Thanks. That wuz in my loooooooooooong email that went off ta Mister Gore's lost-in-space-zone. I tole how Ole Chris Columbus brung chili back ta Spain. King Ferdinand wuz on the pot fer a week. Chiles been round since 29,006 B.C.

Last time I drove down ta the land formerly known az the Sunshine State, I stopped off at Stone's Truck Stop in Opelika ta see how they wuz comin' with the Birmingham Sea Scrolls. Seems they found a fine mastadon chili recipe.

Terry Hanratti used ta make a good chili. Instead of oregano, he used Panama Red.

I too am waitin' ta hear bout the Vindaloo. I wish we had a heap a illegal Aussies round here.....Super Wally would have Vindaloo 'n Veggemite.....mebbe some kangaroo steaks?

regards
bearridge

The English instinctively admire any man who has no talent and is modest about it. James Agate

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
oldyaker said:
Never had chili with curry powder.....sounds interesting, I need to try it.
Vindaloo? Is that a name brand? I suppose most any chili powder would work....ya think?

Vindaloo is an curry dish from India (vindaloo chicken). Have never seen Vindaloo curry powder, or used curry in chili. Have lots of Jamaican & West Indian curry powder, gonna have try some in chili.

Have seen a recipe that added maple syrup to the chili, never tried it, just doesn't sound right.

Dawallace45's corn bread recipe is close to mine. I use a can of whole kernel corn (drained) instead of creamed corn. I also add one (sometimes 2 or 3, depend on who will be eating it) Habanero chile pepper , thinly sliced, and sprinkle some dark brown sugar on top just before putting it in the oven.
Then you get that rush when eating it, hot pepper followed by sugar, what a way to mess with your senses.

This corn bread is good with chili and good by itself with maple syrup on it.

DM

dawallace45

Vindaloo is a style of curry , I have several different sorts of curry but Vindaloo is probably the spiciest , I think it makes the curry a little sweeter

Curry is good as is chilli with roo as it's pretty gamey when fresh , pretty much needs to be hung for a while in a cold room , chilli or curry tends to hide the gaminess

David

dawallace45

Not long after I posted this recipe I run out of the Particular brand of Vindaloo Blend Curry powder I had been using , I think it was called Gourmet Blend but not for sure as the label was torn , In the years since I posted this recipe I've tried quite a number of other brands of curry powder and they are all crap in comparison and just don't have the flavor and indeed I find that the chilli is better off with out it if the right blend isn't available

I do remember that on the label it said about that blend
" The hottest and sharpest of curries, vindaloo is not for the faint-hearted "

The search goes on

David