cut shells | SouthernPaddler.com

cut shells

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
just watching hunting video's tonight and was wondering how many of you real geezers have heard or done this? what I known it as was ringing the shell.i haven't ever tried it though. came across this the lost art of cut shells. for you who haven't heard it you cut or ring the shell say bird shot and you have a poor man,s slug. on the video the shell has a punch.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Probably OK in an open nore. I wouldn't try it with a full choke - and probably not with a modified choke either. Was probably safer in old,daysmwith a loose column of shot? Shot column protectors may retain shape so well inside the paper cartridge, that they'd take the end of the barrel along with them ?

Frankly, I'd buy some slugs.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I had a Ivory Johnson , 410 ga shotgun , single shot , as a kid and a buddy and I tried that with some old 410 ga 7 1/2 shot , shotgun shells. If you needed a slug in a emergency condition and close range it would work.
It was just like shooting a slug , they tore up the target which was a plastic water container.
They did not do any damage to that single shot shotgun but I did get a box of slugs to use in it for hunting 4 footed critters.

Today knowing a little better I would not attempt doing that but back then anything went. :roll: