Correct paddle length.... | SouthernPaddler.com

Correct paddle length....

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I know this may open up a can of worms.....but here goes. :roll:

For years to choose a paddle length, I have used the old standby to start with......With the blade on the ground, the 'T' on the paddle should come between the bottom of the chin and your nose. It had worked well to choose a paddle.

NOW!!!! I have heard that when you choose a bent shaft paddle, it should be 4 inches shorter than your regular canoe paddle. Anyone know anything about this?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker said:
I know this may open up a can of worms.....but here goes. :roll:

NOW!!!! I have heard that when you choose a bent shaft paddle, it should be 4 inches shorter than your regular canoe paddle. Anyone know anything about this?

Hit just depends if you stand up straight or are bent over when you measure the bent paddle. O'ooop's it also depends on how far you are bent over at the time. :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: The rule of thumb is 4 inches shorter then your normal paddle but the best way to figure it out is to try it 1st then purchase.

The bent paddles are something , I have one and really like it. The darn thing gives you more go with less energy , something all of us old geezers can like.
I got one of them from Mohawk canoes ( during a visit at there plant) with the plastic blade and metal shaft , believe it or not but it works really good and is the perfect shovel on a sandbar when not paddling. Plus it was scratched so it was reduced to $20.00 , the best purchase I have ever made.

It is also great (when not paddling ) and with the blade buried in the sand , the handle is the perfect place to tie the bow line off to if nothing else is available. Since the handle is facing inland when the blade is buried straight down in the sand.
I have used it for everything , to dig a fire pit , to fill it in , as an sand bar anchor , to smooth out (level) the sand for a tent , a potty hole digger and even as a paddle when the need arise.

Chuck.

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Bent Shaft Paddle

Wouldn't happen to have liked the ZRE you borrowed? :lol: That's how I got hooked! I was told 4 inches shorter but I usually make do with whatever length I can get, guess I'm not an expert........

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend oldyaker,

When are ya in Grand Ole Opreyville? I got a wooden bentshaft I dont use. It iz short.....so it jest mite be a good fit. I'll let ya try it. If ya like it, we kin start ta serius horse trade? :wink:

If ya drive frum Nashville down ta South Pittsburg, TN, we kin meet up next Wednesday....bout 2 pm. centralized time. So where do ya go ta meet up? Eazy. http://www.lodgemfg.com/

regards
bearridge

I've got a special message for you little pardners out there. I want you to finish your oatmeal at breakfast and do as your mom and pa tell you because they know best. Don't ever tell a lie and say your prayers at night before you go to bed. And as our friends south of the border say, 'Adios, amigos.' Bronco Billy McCoy

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Weekdays no good......Flying in and out of Nashville anyway. Paddling almost done here unless I go South.....Maybe next Spring at Lost Minds! I need to find a trailer to bring ya a horse! What kind of cuts of meat do ya enjoy? :mrgreen:

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
OK, so a bent shaft paddle makes paddling easier on a regular stroke. How does it handle all those other pesky strokes that you might need in a day of paddling?

Joey