Cold Night and a huge moon on the Brazos | SouthernPaddler.com

Cold Night and a huge moon on the Brazos

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
I was planning on getting an early start on a overnight Brazos fishing trip, but ended up having to work for awhile on Sat. finally got to the putin at 3:30 Sat afternoon. We had a strong cold front come in Fri night and the temp Sat was in the lower 40's with a 25-30 MPH North wind. Thanks to the wind we made the three mile trip down the river in just a few minutes. Arrived at a large sand bar and got camp set-up and gathered fire wood before even wetting a line.

allniter010.jpg

The drum were biting very well and manged to catch a few before it got dark. I had a blue cat that I would estimate at over 40 pounds right to the bank before it threw the hook. Once it got dark the bite died so we got busy cooking supper(grilled chicken, baked potatoe w/all the fixins,and my special recipe baked beans),listening the coyotes sing to the moon and having a beverage.

allniter007.jpg

It got very cold (lower 20's with about a 15-20 MPH north wind), but as long as you stayed behind the wind break and close to the fire it was nice. The moon was as big as I can remember it. You could see 150 yds. either direction down the sand bar.

allniter009.jpg

The new tent worked nice and had a good nights sleep. I woke up right at day break and the wind had died down so it did not feel too cold. Got the rods set back out and started coffee and breakfast.

allniter011.jpg

allniter008.jpg

This was a pretty good size sand bar. First picture is looking left,second is looking right.

allniter002.jpg

allniter001.jpg

As the sun came up we caught a couple of more drum and a blue cat that weighed about eight pounds. Broke camp and fished our way back upstream. By the time we had paddled/fished back to the putin the river had rose about eight inches. Overall it was a great quick trip which I am going todo again ina week or so.

allniter012.jpg

Darrell

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Darrell,

Dang nice trip report. Most folks dont expedishun in January. Good on ya!

regards
bearridge

The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information. Edward Abbey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
That does look like a good river to spend time on , looks like the fishing is pretty good also. :D
One of these years I hope to be able to paddle a area of it , especially since it is in the area where I came into this world. Just a hop , skip and a jump south of there at Temple , Texas. Been a long time since I have been there and it would be nice to be back , even for a short spell.

Providing they would let me return since I have been Florida indoctrinated. Ya all do eat grits , Swamp Cabbage and Catfish , I hope. Since I really don't care for Texas Turtles ( Armadillos ) :lol:

Chuck.
Look out I can hear the incoming as I type this. :roll:

Nockatee

Nov 21, 2008
Tryon, NC
Incoming....

Chuck, I think they refer to properly prepared "dillo" as "POSSUM ON THE HALF SHELL".
Makes them think they are getting sea food so far inland. :lol:

Ooh, I meant to say SEA KITTENS.

Good trip report, by the way.