Chapter 13 | SouthernPaddler.com

Chapter 13

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Days past that spring time. Summer heat brought misery for some and the black flies were making routine days seem like hell for all. Where is there comfort in Hell? Men would tie cloths about their faces to keep from inhaling them. Some smeared grease over their arms and faces. The steady hum of mosquitoes will drive a person crazy with their constant buzzing. The anticipation of their lighting on you and start the sucking is only secondary. the noise. The constant noise. The flies and the mosquitoes bothered you all day long. In the morning it is the mosquitoes, in the evening the flies. But all day and night something else bothered you. The Indians.
There is some solitude in knowing that there is friendly Indians out there also. Today was one of those days where a man can lean back at the end of it and be thankful that there are folks out there who, regardless, of education, social level , or what ever, think that each person should experience peace and happiness in this world where we are in it one minute and out the next. It sometimes merely hinges on who is looking back at us.
Sir Wallace had posted his men for that nights guard and on his way back into the main camp to give a report to Meriwether for the night. The evening was cooler than the heat at noon this day. Runners from scouting outwards, had brought word that Indians were moving northwards in large camps. Perhaps to their summer camps further into the north and mountains. Bear had ventured into un-know lands where incredible animals lived. Sir Wallace had heard of beaver and saw what their hides could produce, but to actually see alive one was something he wanted to see out here. Indians didnt trade much with beaver hides as they saw nothing in them and besides the white mountain men had carried off the bigger of the pelts. Rather they brought with them to trade food. Food would bring a man to his knees without it. Without food a strong man became weak where his enemies could overtake him without any struggle. Wallace had to tell Meriwether about his trip back from his last post tonight. Nothing to be ashamed of, but did he have the story right? It would begin like this.
“As I was making me way back from the outer post, I heard a noise that caused me to drop instantly to my knees. Looking about, I saw some brush move about some. My eyes were keen on the shadows that projected themselves out from the bush. Straining , I could start to make out a huge animal