Caught some fish | SouthernPaddler.com

Caught some fish

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Took the wife, the daughter and her new boyfriend ( :( ) camping last week. We went to Huntsville State Park just about 45 minutes North of here.

On Thursday, we decided to try fishing off a fishing pier after seeing some really nice Bass caught there on Wednesday. The Bass were feeding voraciously on schooling Shad under and around the pier. I rigged up a couple of treble hooks to snag some of the 3"-5" Shad for bait . I put the Shad on a bare hook, no weight or bobber, tossed it out, and we got busy.

BTW, that's a size 10 1/2 shoe in the photos to give you an idea of size. There were no small Bass caught. Just this size and up. I guess they may have eaten the smaller ones.

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!

And, the one that didn't get away, but was caught by someone else. This is the biggest Bass I have witnessed being caught.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Looks like you got into a bunch of schoolers ( bunch up ) and that one guy caught the teacher. We have them school at times and when they do it is some fun catching them. When it is hot and heavy like that a person can get one on every cast. :D

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Kayak Jack said:
Uhhh Mike, it isn't fair to step on a fish to stretch it out to legal length. :wink:

Fried fish that night, ehh?

No fish, Jack. It is a catch and release lake. We had ribeye instead. 8)

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
oldsparkey said:
Looks like you got into a bunch of schoolers ( bunch up ) and that one guy caught the teacher. We have them school at times and when they do it is some fun catching them. When it is hot and heavy like that a person can get one on every cast. :D

Yeah, they were all schooled up feeding on the Shad. It reminded me of trout schooled up feeding on mullet in the Gulf. The water was explosive with Bass and Shad coming out of the water.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
mike said:
No fish, Jack. It is a catch and release lake. We had ribeye instead. 8)
Now THAT'S the way to eat fish. My preferred way is to: (1) catch a fish, (2) plant it with seed corn, (3) raise corn, (4) feed it to a cow, and then (5) eat steak. I think that beef steak is the best tasting fish you can get. :wink:

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
jack he isn,t stepping on the fish he just likes looking at his shoes. :shock: :lol: nice catch one or two would have made the gritsss tastes good though.