Canoe sailing at Sugar Island | SouthernPaddler.com

Canoe sailing at Sugar Island

caddepa

Aug 27, 2003
New Jersey
This was not exactly a paddling trip, but I thought members might find it of interest for the unique locations visited. It was an 8 day camping trip divided between two destinations: Stillwater Reservoir, NY and Sugar Island, Ontario. I have been visiting Sugar Island for ACA canoe sailing competitions for the past 5 years, but this year decided to “stop off” at Stillwater since it is only 70 miles out of the way. Another canoe sailor, Larry Haff, from MA suggested the side trip and joined me the on second day out.

Canoe sailing has a long and distinguished history but is currently on the decline. It just cannot compete with the multitude of small sailing craft ready to sail. Unlike Sunfish and Laser type boats, sailing canoes must be individually built by the owner, usually from the raw hull. My latest project is a Mohawk - Ultima fiberglass hull that I finished with mahogany and oak.
P7280072.jpg

P7280073.jpg

P7280074.jpg

As you might well imagine, a sailing canoe can be a bit “tipsy”, especially when loaded with camping gear, so for safety reasons I brought along a GP-14 sailing dinghy.

P7210001.jpg

I left my NJ home on Tues, July 20 for the 400 mile drive to Stillwater Reservoir State Park, which is located on the western edge of the Adirondacks, NY. The lake is about 14 miles long and perhaps a mile wide at some locations, so a westerly breeze can quickly make-up a nasty chop. There are 46 waterfront campsites, most of which are only accessible by boat. Camping is FREE and on a first come basis with no reservations accepted. There is a unique system used to determine which site are available. A large board at the parking area lists the 46 sites and has a sliding tab to indicate VACANT, or OCCUPIED. In addition, one must sign the registration book and indicate an estimated date of departure.

P7240046.jpg

This was my first visit to the area and I was not disappointed. Our campsite - #46 - is located about a mile from the boat ramp. It offered the option of open beach, or protected woods tent sites. We opted for the cooling breezes of the beach. Chuck would like this particular campsite because there are no portages involved. And Kayak Jack would like it because it is close enough to return for survival items like ice cream, pizza and a flush toilet.

P7220004.jpg

P7230040.jpg

P7220003.jpg

Larry was not scheduled to arrive until the following day, so I ventured on a solo, 6 mile, sail to the head of a hiking trail, portage (UGH), to Salmon Lake. Along the way I got a good view of other campsites and they all look superb! The trail itself is only about ½ mile long and follows a beautiful little stream. It is well maintained and would not be a difficult portage.

P7220013.jpg

P7220015.jpg

P7220016.jpg

When Larry arrived we took another sail up the lake, he in his canoe and I with the GP-14. With a breeze at our backs, we easily covered 6 miles in under an hour, but the return trip took two hours of tacking against the wind. What a great day!!

P7230032.jpg

P7240041.jpg

Weather forecast for Friday was heavy rain so we broke camp early and motored up to Clayton, NY which is located near the Canadian border. We rented a motel for a hot shower and later visited the Maritime Museum. Clayton is only 12 miles from the border check-point, so on Saturday morning we were able to pass through customs and arrive at Misty Isles Lodge, the launching point for Sugar Island, by 10am. Sugar Island is located on the St. Lawrence River, 2 miles from the Canadian shore. It is owned by the ACA (American Canoe Association) but is located within the boundary of Canada, thus the need to drive through customs. I sailed the GP-14, using my canoe as a barge to carry camping gear, while Larry sailed over in his canoe. Once there, we set up camp atop a hill known as Hurricane Ridge because of the sometimes gusty breezes.

P7260051.jpg

By Saturday afternoon the area known as Canoe Beach was littered with sailing canoes.

P7260049.jpg

P7260059.jpg

Camp officially opened with Sunday morning ceremonies and we held our first canoe races that afternoon.

P7280068.jpg

Racing continued on Monday and Tuesday with different sailing series. Open canoe sailing has a C-Class, which is any sail under 5M (55sq ft), and the ACA Class which is a smaller one-of-a-kind lateen rig of 44sq ft.

P7260053.jpg

P7260058.jpg

Sugar Island is conveniently located just 3-4 miles, by water, from the historical town of Ganonaque, Ontario. We made the trip twice for dinner and building supplies. There is a very active cruise line that runs trips to Bolt Island and Clayton, NY.

Wednesday morning was pack-up time for the long ride back to civilization, if that’s what you call the Jersey Shore.

P7260048.jpg

I would like to report that I came home loaded with sailing trophies, but that is not the case. With just 5 years canoe sailing experience, I am a mere novice. One canoe sailor claims he was conceived in a canoe, and another was wrapped in a jib sail blanket just after birth. TOUGH COMPETITION!! That being said, I did manage second and third place finishes during individual races. All in all a great trip, one I highly recommend.

P7230030.jpg

Next stop, the BWCA/Quetico for a traditional paddle.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Just think , you started canoe sailing down in the Glades with a couple of mangrove branches and a rain coat rigged as a sail on that one trip. :D

John , that's a nice job on the Mohawk , it sure changed the looks of it. The one campsite looked really good , lots of trees to hang a hammock from and dry ground to walk around on , best part is there are no portages.

Chuck.