Cane River Paddle | SouthernPaddler.com

Cane River Paddle

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
There I was. A group of us left Shreveport and went to float the Cane River/Lake in Natchitoches to view the Christmas Lights. We went down and walked through the St Jean Baptiste Fort, ate some fine meat pies and sipped some Chateau De Cardboard.

As it was getting dark, we launched and paddled about 2 miles to downtown to watch the fireworks and look at the lights.

A grand time was had by all and we left to return to the take out,

About a third of a mile down, a voice was heard yelling for us to go to a dock where we were met by the river patrol. Seams the river/lake is closed to all boating. :oops: At this time, I must add that the Sheriffs Deputy was very nice about it. She accepted the fact we were from S Port and just issued warnings and had us get of the water. They then gave us a lift to get our cars.

All in all, a good trip with a twist. We will go back when the boating ban has been lifted I’m sure.

IMGP0989.jpg

The pic in no way shows what it really looks like. It is very nice.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
She said the water level was to low and that the normally underwater obstructions made boating a hazard. :roll:

We tried to explain that we normally only needed about 4 inches of water and weren't going fast enough to hurt ourselves or anything even if we did hit something but, she wasn't interested in the capibilites, just ALL BOATS ARE BANNED.

After we were off the water and waiting for the trucks, she became quite interested in the boats and "was very nice".

I guess she was just doing her job. Just not using a bit of common sense. I could understand a "motored boat ban". Even with the water way up, a barge or bass boat going at any speed would be liable to cause damage and erosion. The river/lake is only about 75 yards wide so you can imagine what it would be like with "boat wakes"

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
My bet is she was responding to a complaint made by someone who noticed all of you out on the water. If that was the case she had no choice but to do what she did and have you exit the water. The lease thing she could do was to issue a warning or notice and not something with a court date on it.
Basically her hands were tied ( On what she could do ) if she was responding to an complaint and not just a normal , routine patrol.

I can see it now , Located the desperadoes ( suspects ) , issued a ( verbal or written ) warning and filed my report. :roll:

Basically the way it works is.
1.. The dispatcher receives a call from the complainant with the location of the offense and name of the caller which is listed along with the time of the call. At this time it is assigned a complain number or case number for the call.
2.. The officer is dispatched and the time recorded.
3.. The officer arrives and the time is recorded.
4.. If contact is made it is recorded by the dispatch.
5.. The officer completes the call and what action is documented on the complaint card and back on patrol.
6.. At the end of the shift the office puts notes on the complaint card or a report is written depending on policy.

If it was during a normal patrol , there could be a complaint made by the officer or not one , officers discretion. Normally in a case like yours , I would say not one for routine patrol , judging from what you said , she had to be responding to an called in complaint.

Chuck......