Camp Kitchen Utensils | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Camp Kitchen Utensils

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I finally remembered the name of my twig stove - "littlBug". Yes, the "e" is omitted in the name. A very nice feature of it is how it disembles and packs. There are two sizes; I have the smaller one.

Fully assembled it is about 6" in diameter, and 8" high. Dissembled, it is only a semi circle, as all components nest within each other in just a semi circle. This happily is of a size that packs fitted around a rolled up sleeping pad.

In use, it's very much like all twig stoves. Fact is, almost any decent-szed tin can can be easily made into a serviceable twig stove. I like my LittlBug because it works better than just a tin can, and it packs very well. I always carry it for back up, or for just a small campfire of an evening.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I was introduced to the wood burner stoves by Swampy from his reports on the forum about them . Then had a 1st hand reminded of there potential on the a St Mary's River trip.

I arrived at Tompkins landing ( Outside Folkston ,Ga ) a day before the scheduled meeting day and Swampy was already there. Best way to start a trip is to start it earlier.
After introductions he wanted a cup of coffee and proceeded to walk over to a brush pile and get a handful of twigs. He came back and pulled out his stove , a Sierra Zip wood burner and had a pot of coffee cooking before I knew it.

That night was cold and in the morning there was frost on the pumpkin , not to mention the both of our us.
Swampy made more coffee and then we stood around his stove enjoying the warmth of that mini ( Sierra Zip ) fireplace before heading into town for a real breakfast and to wait for the rest of the guys.

We planned on camping at Tompkins Landing the 2nd night but the cold chased us into town and a motel room. Now all I need to do is to make sure I locate the rest of the guys and let them know we have moved to a motel and out of the frozen campground.
Fortunately between Swamps truck and pirogue parked out front and my truck and pirogue it was easy to tell we were there. Back then progues were not seen everyday in south Georgia , if ever.

I had a Sierra Zip on order ( as a present to myself ) and it had not arrived so I was using my Coleman Duel Fuel single burner. It crapped out later on and was trashed.

That trip got me hooked on Wood burners and Alcohol stoves in place of the white gas ones.

For anyone interested in a trip report from days and paddling trips of the past.
Dec 8 , 2003
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=468
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=469
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=473
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=475

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Part of this, I think, is a blend. Most (all?) of us are a mixture of mature man - and natural child. In our case, that natural child is an inquisitive, playful, prankster like little boy. This mix yields, in my view at least, an interesting geezer.

Now, this geezer (insert name here) likes to explore his world. When in his highchair, he'd smear his fingers around the tray, pushing semi-solids like, say, squash, spinach, dookie pulled from a handy diaper - anything that were both messy AND slippery. Basically, we were just exploring our world and its horizons. The third, and most exciting characteristic of these semi-solids was Mom's reaction. That was ALWAYS an exciting part of a day!

After this young GIT (Geezer In Training) started to crawl and then walk, his world got a lot bigger. Which, of course, meant more things to experiment with - and on - were now available. Now, such things as chairs, tables, telephones, puppies, and little sisters were fair game.

Jumping this GIT forward to full fledged geezerdom, we see him playing with fire. By now, Mom is too old to chase him down and spank him, so the experiments cover both times and territories of further domains. Various fuels - gasoline, alcohol, wood, etc. - are frittered aruond with. Various stoves - Coleman, Trangia, even home made stuff - are grist for his mill. Hey? This is fun!

Several kinds of foods are tried. Several kinds of canvas shelters come and go. Several kinds of footwear, sleeping bags, clothing, and cooking utensils are tried. A constant here, with us geezers, is change. We find, discard or fall in love with, and eventually move on through a series of various toys - uhhh, tools.

Fact is, this lifelong experimentstion helps us both grow up, and stay young at the same time. One finding of medical research is that - as we get older, and finally get old - constantly learning new things works to stave off effects of alzheimer's. Kind of like, and might actually be, that by constantly adding new memories on the front end, it helps us keep head of the dimming and loss of older memories from the back end. We work to maintain a traveling core of knowledge somewhere in the middle.

And, in the meantime, we're having a good time. It lasts a long time - clear out until we start again reaching into our diapers for handsful of . . . .

doc

Jul 14, 2011
Mississippi
Which brings us full circle back to the "camp spat". After all the edifying insights included in this thread I decided to modify the spat. The mod will free up about maybe a cubic quarter inch of space in my solo kitchen bag but it was satisfying to ruminate on the expansion of the boundaries of space and time. I pondered the metaphysics of camping while repacking my gear -- of taking advantage of my enlarged universe -- of saddling up a simple idea and riding it into the new horizon line. Then I had a bourbon and went to bed... with a smile on my face.

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
WNY-land of exhorbitant taxes
Kayak Jack said:
I have a frisbee, that is actually poorly designed. Instead of an aerodynamic arch to help it develop lift and extend lts sail, the top is flattened off. Rightside up it makes a pretty good frisbee. Upside down - it mskes a really good plate.
If you don't categorize me as goofy, I'll report you to the voices. THEY'LL git ya.

I've watched Jack use his "plate" on a few occassions... however, I've never seen him use it for it's original intended purpose. What happened to the 'little boy' in ya?

And... ain't no need to report me to the voices. Goofy is one of the reasons I enjoy hangin' with ya :D