Camp Food, another option | SouthernPaddler.com

Camp Food, another option

islandpiper

Like all of you , I have looked at the packaged meals in the stores, you know the ones, made especially for on-trail dining... wow, pricey!! Even at Wally World they run $5 to $7.

How about this, go past the Family Dollar or someplace and get these for about $1.25 each. They should heat up in a pot of hot water, no need even to use drinking quality water. and, when empty, you have a bowl for your breakfast grits or whatever, and you can burn them up before packing or paddling out.

campfood.jpg

piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Piper...

I have tried them , they are not home cooking by any means but are sufficient for a quick meal.

One thing I like out camping is the Cambells Condensed Soups , lot of good stuff in a small package , plus it gives you liquid when cooked up. If you watch the grocery ads , a lot of the time you can get them dirt cheep or at lease the good old "Buy one -get one free". The reason I like them is in the summer down here you want something good but with liquid and they fill the bill on both counts. Plus they are easy to heat up and does not require sitting by a blast furnace to do it in 95 degree heat.

If a person takes some time in the grocery store there is a lot of meals that only require some hot water to compleat and more meals are coming out on the market everyday.

One I like is a can of the Bushes Black Eye Peas with the Snap Beans in it , add some rice and water with a small can of ham along with some onion flakes to make a Hopping John mix for supper. Some cornbread on the side sure does not hurt matters. :wink: There is nothing wrong with fresh fish fried up on the side.

Chuck.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
I carried them to work to heat in the microwave and have heated them by boiling unopened for about 7-10 minutes. The bowls are great for instant oatmeal next day. Take some seasonings with you! Pretty bland as packaged. Pepper is mandatory, salt and hot sauce are good to have with you. I use some of Emeril's essence on some meals.

islandpiper

Bears Buddy, two comments:
1: wow......you work? :D :D

2. Yup, save the container in camp for a day or more and use it for the next meal or leftover storage, or, in Jack's case, for Katy to fill up with pretty rocks.

I had one for lunch today in the micro, a turkey and dressing......dang good, and at 290 Calories, enough for a round fellow like me. May need more in camp, but crackers or biscuits would do it.
piper

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
islandpiper said:
Bears Buddy, two comments:
1: wow......you work? :D :D

2. Yup, save the container in camp for a day or more and use it for the next meal or leftover storage, or, in Jack's case, for Katy to fill up with pretty rocks.

I had one for lunch today in the micro, a turkey and dressing......dang good, and at 290 Calories, enough for a round fellow like me. May need more in camp, but crackers or biscuits would do it.
piper

Answers:
1. Not since Dec 30, 2009.
2. Meals with tomatoes just trash the bowl. They don't come clean. Crackers, cookies, bread, those small boxes of juice are all good fast food type extenders.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
You're sure right about Katie gathering pretty rocks. (Wannabe contracted her out and I'm bringing a sack full to restore the ones he lost from his head.)

Grocery stores are stocking more and more good foods for camp. A good hot breakfast for two guys is two packages of Ramen soup, and a can of corned beef. Tastes good and heats up your insides. Sticks to your ribs good too.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Now Jack can talk about camp food but he didnt break it out when we were having steak ,pork chops, frito pie,sauge wraps
hamburgerss.
:D :D :D
Ron