Buildin' a canoe | SouthernPaddler.com

Buildin' a canoe

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Naw....not me. Bell built it. I had a heck of a time, but a Merlin II iz free at last 'n layin' out in the back yard. I got ta know the Sierra Tradin' Post folks 'n the Roadway folks real well. Both of 'em done rite by me, but I got a very low opinion of Bell Canoes. Seems the company wuz bought 'n paid for by a "not tryin' ta make a profit" company fulla disabled folks. I didnt know that before I ordered my blem frum Sierra.

The price jest called out like one of them sireens who made the Argonaughts run inta the rocks. I bought blem stuff before. Most of the time ya gotta look careful ta find it. After Roadway dropped it off, Miz Bear 'n me hauled it ta the backyard 'n she went inside ta dry off 'n cool down. It wuz 100 in the shade. I cut the wrapper off 'n dang.....ya didnt have ta search fer them blems.....they jumped out 'n slapped ya rite smack dab in the face.

The more I looked, the more I found. Then I found the crack. I felt it 'n tole myself it didnt go clean thru the hull, so it mite not leak a drop, but it went clean thru the gel coat. I spent a hour out there. Lost 5 pounds of fluid. Got more'n more down in the mouth. If I had a boat company I would never let nobody see a boat that looked like that. By'n by I went inside 'n called Sierra. They done okay by me. They sent me anuther boat. Purty fair dinkum.

I wuz bad disappointed cuz I really loved the fact that I kin flip that boat up 'n set it on my head 'n walk ta town if I had ta. Black gold aint purty, but the shape looks okay ta me. The second boat showed up a few days ago, but when I cut away the wrapper, the blems near bout knocked me down. It had big pimples in the inside 'n a big, ugly glass/gel coat mess along the gunwale....really ugly, pitiful job, but there wuz no crack in the gel coat this time.

I wondered if I oughta keep the cracked boat 'n send the uglier one back, mebbe put some duct over the crack.....but I sent the cracked one back. If them disabled folks caint do no better work than that, I figger the "tryin' ta make a profit" companies like Wenonnah 'n Souris River will pick up all the bizness.

regards
bearridge

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, and the lesson afterwards. Anonymous

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Never got one from Bell Canoes but I have purchased some Blems from Mohawk Canoes.
I have a pretty sharp eye when looking at boats and the last Mohawk they called a blem , I had to have the owner point it out to me.

I would of called it a half dime size blemish and you really had to look to find it. I think they go over there canoes with a magnifying glass looking for bad spots.
They got no argument from ME on there blem , I gladly wrote them a check for it. :D

Sounds to me like the Sierra Trading' Post folks are passing off there misfits ( two choices ...Bad and Worse) and that sure does not improve there rating or what I think of them at all. It even wrecks my thoughts about Bell Canoes who I always thought were a reliable canoe manufacturer.

My guess is what I always thought , Buying something sight unseen is .... You pay your money and take your chances. I definetly would of sent the cracked one back , ugly you can paddle , cracked could have you swimming.
Besides , The ( Black) Ugly (Gold) Duckling will get some scratches and dings in it from paddling trips.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Br'r Bear,

I'm sure that by now, youve gone back over the purchase agreement with a fine-toothed comb. I really dislike it when someone tries to pull a shady deal. Sounds like they can't spell REJECT at Bell Canoe Company.

It also sound like you got a canoe that I made.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I waited a while 'n studied on this fer a spell before I tole ya'll bout it. Here iz what it sez on the Bell site.

Bell Canoe Works is a part of the ORC Industries family — a not-for-profit that employs over 800 highly motivated, disabled workers at its Texas and Wisconsin manufacturing facilities. By providing people with disabilities an opportunity to lead productive and independent lives, ORC is tapping into a deep reservoir of passion and commitment.

ORC workers are offered a fair wage, safe working conditions, job skills training and they have access to proactive wellness programs and professional counseling in the areas of nutrition and exercise physiology. It's proven to be a fruitful partnership. By keeping our people fully employed and personally gratified, we have been able to not only stay competitive, but thrive against foreign-made competition.

Sounds like they fergot ta hire enuff folks who know how ta build canoes.

regards
bearridge

ps It wuz 112 heat index a few minutes ago. No let up this week.

Everyone rises to their level of incompetence. Lawrence J. Peter

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
From what you have said , It sounds like they expect the handicapped to purchase there canoes made by and for the handicapped.

Best to hang on to it , later when they turn belly up it will be a classic and collectors item. Say another 50 years or so down the road. :D

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Tick,

I got friends like ya'll. Two more wont hurt. :wink: Bell makes some fine, high dollar ($2700 plus tax 'n shippin') boats, but they got a problem with what ta do when they have a bad run. Decent folks woulda burned 'em, but they got no respect fer craftsmanship.......mitey sad.

I jest hate paddlin' with the High Sheriff in hiz new homemade wooden boat that weighs less than mine 'n dont look like a cur dog been out whorin' all nite.

regards
bearridge

ps $1907.....delivered. 34 pounds.

I knew a girl so ugly that she was known as a two-bagger. That's when you put a bag over your head in case the bag over her head comes off. Rodney Dangerfield

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Friend Bear,

Real sorry to hear about your troubles with Bell mate.

Seems like bloody madness to let a new product like that go out in that condition once, let alone twice. Surely, they have somebody who should be checking quality before the ship?

Regardless of who actually does the building, they should have some form of quality assurance.

Bloody hell, if I were closer, I would build you a boat for the price of material and a few beers.
[/quote]

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
Friend Tick,

I jest hate paddlin' with the High Sheriff in hiz new homemade wooden boat that weighs less than mine 'n dont look like a cur dog been out whorin' all nite.

regards
bearridge

Bear , Thanks for the vote of confidence but right now it looks like a dog with the mange from all the sanding.
"O" cost a lot less unless you count the sweat and I have no idea what that goes for by the ounce nowdays. :lol:

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
My Friend Mick,

What a fine offer, cept I understand yer a mitey thirsty boat buildin' son of a gun. :lol: Let me try ta make sho this iz clear. This boat wuz advertized a a blemished one.....with scratches and marks kinda like a boat that had been paddled some. I knew it had some bad spots. That wuz why they knocked off $700.

I never would have ordered a boat without lookin' at it, but nobody anywhere close ta use had one in stock. Not only that, none of the dealers ever had one of these canoes.....so all their talk wuz jest that....talk. The High Sheriff tole me ta buy a Bell Magic, which I am sho iz a fine boat, but with shippin', mebbe some taxation too, it would likely have run me $3000. It aint been the kinda year ta spend that kinda dough.

If ya use google "Bell Merlin II" ya bound ta see the Sierra Tradin' Post ad fer these "seconds"....'n what they got ta say bout 'em. They must bought a heap a Bell Merlin II seconds. I dont figger Sierra unwraps 'n looks at the canoes. They sell mostly seconds 'er blems...........clothes. I never heard of 'em sellin' a canoe before. Bell likely tole 'em, "seconds....jest like all the suff ya'll sell". They come in a big, tight fittin' muslim sack, which I doubt ever come off these canoes after they left Bell.

Ya'll aint seen this boat yet. Ya'll mite not feel like the blems look az bad az I do. There will come a time fer that later. I dont figger the big pimples on the inside of the boat 'er the ugly glass 'n gel coat work on the outside will keep me frum paddlin' it. It wuz jest uglier'n I wuz lookin' fer. Mister Bell dont own the company no more. I bet if he seen these canoes bein' sold he'd be mitey sad.

regards
bearridge

ps I dont mind if the boat iz on the ugly side. I kin live with ugly. Not everone haz a stylish hat. :mrgreen: