Bought-a-paddle | SouthernPaddler.com

Bought-a-paddle

islandpiper

After a short discussion and then an even shorter shopping trip, i bought a new double paddle. It is a Carlisle , carbon fiber shaft, three position adjustment, shaped Asym. blades with some curve built in. As I picked up all the various doubles at our NEWLY OPENED Academy Sports here in Hammond i found that they all felt different. Most of them had metal shafts of some sort, various "feels" to them. When i picked each one up and shook it in one hand they all rattled and flexed in different ways, with the exception of the one i bought, which didn't rattle or creak at all. It cost me $69........but as i had approached the register with the paddle apart, and each half had a scan code on it the youngster running the register scanned both of them and gave this old man a coronary when the bill came up to about $156 !!! Nothing as uncommon as common sense, at least in today's big box stores.

Thanks Jack. Now i need to find time to go get it muddy.

piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Well, Piper San, I'm glad you got a new paddle. I'd go back and talk with the manager. Charging like that is like charging separately for a left and right shoe. It's a mistake, I'd think. Can't hurt to ask.

Have Diane paddle you when you get home - may be fun! :wink:

islandpiper

the little chickie figured it out and i paid the ONE price, not the right end, plus left end price. i suppose they put a scan sticker on each end so that the employees don't mix up the red paddles with the yellow paddles. Good help is hard to find.

piper