Best Late 4th yet | SouthernPaddler.com

Best Late 4th yet

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I had a trip planed with my grandaughters and there dad this weekend. An hour before we were suppose to leave ,I had a knock on the front door.
When I opened the door a gentleman was standing there ,he looked familiar he just stood there and didnt say a word ,I finally ask who he was.
When he answered I realized he was my best friend form a couple tours in Nam. I hadn't seen him since 1970. If it hadnt been for each of us taking care of the other both of us probably wouldnt have been here. I am not into hugging guys ,but this one got hugged. After visting a while he left and I gathered my stuff up for the trip.
Here is the crew and the four wooden boats we took
IM002678.jpg

We loaded and headed down the river, the boats were my T-V ,Derrick was in the Hot air Perow and alley in the Bumble Bee and Cortney had the Laker which she had never paddled.

IM002672.jpg

Cortney took to the new boat like she had paddled it all her life.

We paddled down a couple miles and pulled in to set up cam Cortney was hot she wanted to paddle.
As we were setting up camp Cort ran up to me and said I like the Bumble Bee you built for me but I love this boat. I grinned told her I figured you might ,its yours. She gave the Bee to her little sister
The little one was going everywhere in the Bee.

IM002668-1.jpg

Derrick in the Hot Air perow

IM002670.jpg

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
We talked played swam till it was time to cook the steaks, sorry guys but a good steak with fries and corn just beats the heck out of MRE,s.
The girls must have paddled 10 miles just around camp and Alley demonstrated a new way to paddle

IM002662.jpg

IM002663.jpg

IM002665.jpg

IM002664.jpg

The next morning I woke up to some pleasant surprises ,with no pics ,I didnt want to ruin it I just layed back and enjoyed it.
With the screen on the front of the tent I watched a huge beaver carring a branch up river,then as the sun came up, I looked up on the high bank and a Texas Longhorn was skylighted watching our camp.
A few minutes later I heard a bunch of racket and a small herd of jackasses came down to drink,a small colt in the bunch was feeling fiesty, kicking and bitting every thing that got close. They left and I did get these two pics

IM002658.jpg

IM002659.jpg

After breakfast a couple more swims we loaded up and headed down river

IM002652.jpg

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
On the way to the Falls take out we had a pretty good storm come though ,rained like crazy ,but felt good it cooled us off.
As we paddled down river Corney practiced heeling her turns backing up
and then asked me if I thought she could do a race in that boat, I told her sure, think I may have created a monster. She is a long distance runner and the star of her soccer team so she has the endurance. She told me she would call me and wanted to do a 15 mile trip but with just me and her ,she said dad and Alley paddle to slow.
As we paddled along the little one gave out so they tandem the Perow and pulled the Bee on in.
We loaded and came to the house, as Cortney walked out the door she looked at me and asked what you doing Friday :shock: I think I better get in shape.
IM002673.jpg

I dont think you can have a better weekend than to see someone after 40 years that had saved your bacon , take your grandaughters on there first overnighter , and see the look on Cortneys face when she realized the boat was for her.
Life is good for an old geezer

IM002675.jpg

Ron

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Great post. Thanks for sharing your good times. Makes me think of mine. :D

beekeeper

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
ron looks like youall i mean them had a good time. :lol: sounds like they gave you a work out.yep ron like wanabee said they sure grow up fast. the only down side of tat is you are sure becoming a geezer. :wink: :lol: thnks for sharing.