Best Bottom Protection/Maybe? | SouthernPaddler.com

Best Bottom Protection/Maybe?

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
It will take a few fishing trips to determine how well this may work, but I'm guessing very well.
Very smooth, semi transparent, does not rub off, and very hard.

Two coats. Mix ratio = 1 oz. powder per 4 oz. epoxy

Finished with two coats of Teflon boat wax for UV protection and a very slippery surface.

beekeeper

texastom

Jul 29, 2013
Dallas
Beekeeper, you are doing a great job finding and using new (to me) graphite type coatings. If I have kept track correctly, you have used the following:

1) DIY mix of graphite and epoxy
2) Goop Coat It
3) EZ Slide
4) Rockite and Epoxy

Have you used each of them enough to determine which works best for protecting the wood against scrapes and rubs?

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Wannabe said:
Bee,
What inspired you to try that?
Bob

The Goop Coat It I used on my last boat has ceramic beads and is very hard. I have been looking for better protection for the boat's bottom. My intention was to try aluminum powder/epoxy but was not sure how hard it might be. I know of no local source of ceramic beads so I looked for a substitute.
I contacted folks I know at a marble shop for some marble dust but they do all their cutting wet. They suggested a cement powder. Found the Rockite at ACE Hardware.

beekeeper

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Nuff said. Let us know how it works. Come to think about it, you have no rocks to run the boat over. Guess you will have to settle for cypress knees to test he bottom on. Keep us posted.
Bob

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
texastom said:
Beekeeper, you are doing a great job finding and using new (to me) graphite type coatings. If I have kept track correctly, you have used the following:

1) DIY mix of graphite and epoxy
2) Goop Coat It
3) EZ Slide
4) Rockite and Epoxy

Have you used each of them enough to determine which works best for protecting the wood against scrapes and rubs?

The short answer would be no, but I have used my boats enough to have some thoughts and ideas about coatings. They may not be correct and other folks may have different needs or results.
There seems to be two primary purposes for bottom coatings, protection from cuts gouges, scrapes, etc., and fairing = smooth/slippery.
Attention to finish work and good materials can give you a smooth/fair hull. Quality marine ply or strips work better than cheap wood (less sanding and filling). Graphite/epoxy top coating seems to level the finish and adds the element of lubrication. Seems to reduce drag when paddling and defiantly aids is sliding over objects and vegetation.
The graphite/epoxy did not provide much cut/scrape protection for me. It may offer some sacrificial material but it needs to be harder. I think the EZ Slide will be comparable. May be more covenant.
The Garage Floor (2 part epoxy) Paint has been working well. It is much harder and finishes smoother than the other paints and varnishes I have used. I don't abuse my boats but seem to have a knack for finding sharp rocks, trees with nails, pipes, broken concrete, or any other hidden hazard in the bayou. The paint has helped.
The Goop "Coat It" is very hard also and the graphite does not wear off to touch as bad as the homemade graphite mix. The one trip I made did result in a minor scratch to the bottom but I was not aware of hitting anything. It is only cosmetic.
The Rockite and epoxy has not been used. I like it's ease of application and the lack of messy graphite. It leveled to a smooth surface and with the Teflon wax it is slippery and has some UV protection. I did have to work quickly and used small batches of epoxy. The first coat seemed to dry faster than epoxy by it's self. I then read the box and it says it hardens in 15 min. when mixed with water to patch concrete. I guess it reacts to the epoxy in the same manor.

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
JD, I appreciate your persistant experiments, and your patience prior to drawing conclusions. It shows a lack of predetermined conclusions, and an honest search for workable solutions.
You get an "Atta boy!"

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
An inconclusive update:
Goop Coat It = only a couple of trips, but seems to be working well.
Rockite and epoxy = 4 trips with little or no scratches/damage. Very promising.
EZ Slide = 15 or so trips in the last two weeks. Several scratches/ gouges and chunks missing with one very bad cut. It appears to work as a sacrifice and none of the damage is to the wood. The cut would have been drastic but the epoxy paint was hard enough to protect the wood. Every launch site has been bad. Lots of concrete, etc. and too much mud. No other choice but to drag the boat in and out.

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Fifteen trips in two weeks??!! I'm proud of you, old man. Plopping your hindside in a fishing boat that much, and you're going to have to have Mamaw cover YOUR hindside with bottom protection. ;-)

In the meantime, I also admire your open-minded test reports. Keep up the god work.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Every launch site has been bad. Lots of concrete, etc. and too much mud. No other choice but to drag the boat in and out.

It would save the bottom if you launched the boat in a friendlier area and not someplace that tries to grind it into sawdust. It would not be as much fun and would wreck all of your experimenting and testing but the bottom of your boat might appreciate it. :roll:
To find something new to use I guess a few boat bottoms would have to be sacrificed in the name of experimentation and fact finding. Without that happening we would never know if something better is out there. :D

My Boats...........
I tend to locate a decent area to launch in and if it is Sand or Mud that is great, Cement , Concrete , Bricks , Oyster Shells and any Metals is just a turn around and leave area.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
It was a good two weeks! :D Didn't get to go every day, so I went twice on some days. Caught a few fish, saw lots of pretty water, some of it most folks will never experience.
Field testing is fun but I'm sure the results will not be absolute. A controlled test would be more accurate and fair.
I will probably end up with a strong opinion based on my usage. It will probably be the correct choice, and the best protection for my boats, for where and how they are used.

beekeeper

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Bee,
I’m getting close to glassing the bottom of my two current builds. I wanted to touch base and see if you have any advice from your experience and experiments. Have you formed an opinion of which of your experiments works best?

I glassed a piece of scrap tonight to experiment with. In the next day or so I will try the rockite /epoxy mix on the scrap. I liked your idea of the Teflon polish for some uv protection as my boats often “live” upside down in my truck or on the ladder rack.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Good Fish’n,
Andy

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
oldbuffpilot said:
Bee,
I’m getting close to glassing the bottom of my two current builds. I wanted to touch base and see if you have any advice from your experience and experiments. Have you formed an opinion of which of your experiments works best?

I glassed a piece of scrap tonight to experiment with. In the next day or so I will try the rockite /epoxy mix on the scrap. I liked your idea of the Teflon polish for some uv protection as my boats often “live” upside down in my truck or on the ladder rack.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Good Fish’n
Andy

Short answer is I do not know which is best. Not enough usage to form a fair opinion. I need to coat my lapestrake pirogue and will have to decide something.
My guess is Rockite/epoxy or Coat It are harder than epoxy/graphite or the EZ Slide. I will probably use the Rockite/epoxy, mainly because I have some. Graphite could probably be added if you wanted it.
Let us know how your tests work out.

Bee

Reactions: oldbuffpilot

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
The boat with the Rockite and epoxy has made a couple more tips and is holding up well.
The Goop Coat It boat has been passed to a new owner. I will try to follow up on how well it works.
My truck boat with the EZ Slide has a few more trips and is showing several scratches and chips. The epoxy paint under the graphite coating has prevented any damage to the wood.
More use and comparisons are needed to make any conclusions.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
After a few more trips the EZ Side finish is not doing so good. Part of the problem may be that it is applied over the epoxy garage floor paint and is not adhering to it very well.
At this time I'm leaning to the Rockite or Goop Coat IT for any future applications.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Another option. Refinished my "truck boat" bottom with a coat of epoxy mixed with Rockite and granite powder.
Only used the boat two trips but no scratches so far.
Repainted the whole boat. I feel like I have a new ride.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Good morning, JD (08:00 here). Is this finish as "slick and slippery" as the graphite? My boats go through lilly pads and other green gunk as easily as open water. Well, danged near as easily. Does the granite powder make the finjsh gritty?

Both of my boats are in sore need of refinishing. Some lazy lout has been ignoring his job!