Benjamin/Sheridan Blue Streak .. 177 cal. | SouthernPaddler.com

Benjamin/Sheridan Blue Streak .. 177 cal.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have this in the general section but moved one part over here to get this thread going.

Bear

Sorry about being lax and not letting you know about my new weapon.
Brown got it here and after some (instruction) reading, I got the scope on it. A Bushnell 4 power with a fast focus eyepiece , adjustable power ring and the Objective Adjustment on the lens

Set up a piece of cardboard in the back yard and put a bunch of black circles on it to sight in the rifle.
Used 6 pumps since 8 is the Max for the rifle and started shooting. Took 5 shots to march the hit area across the cardboard to the black dot. 1st shot was way off to the left but good on the elevation.

Then to make sure it was no accident I put up a fresh piece and placed (drew) 5 more dots on it, about a shade smaller then a nickel and started blasting away at it. That scope sure helps when you wear tri focals and sure as heck, one shot at each dot and all of them were in the black and the last was dead center at 8 pumps (full) power.
All of the sighting in was done at 35 feet.

Then I placed the target at 50 feet. Just to make sure everything was right I did one dot about the size of a penney or dime and took careful aim and sure as heck ..... right in the black like it should be , A person could call it a tack driver, it is an accurate little rifle.

Trigger pull is a little hard but should smooth out after some use, otherwise I am very happy with it and for plinking about 4 pumps works out real good. Did some experimenting on coke cans, empty and some filled with water.

For you folks stepping into the middle of this conversation what we are talking about is the Benjamin/Sheridan (Blue Streak) 177 cal , Pneumatic Air Rifle and Bushnell Scope ,I ordered from Cabelas.

Chuck.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
I'll stick to my Red Ryder... it's paid for....
The Crossman BB pistol, with gas cartridges, nails good at 50 foot... if I brace my shaking hand. Why is it the older we get the more tha hand shakes...? :x

Next, I want a shotgun shell BB rifle.... :roll:

swampy

A

Anonymous

.177 Blue Streak?

Chuck;
I thought the Ben/Sher Streaks were all .20 cal and the .177's were called the 397 or something.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
You have a choice today ..... http://airgunsbbguns.com/benjamin-sheri ... ifles.html

.20 or .22 or 177 Cabelas called it the Blue Streak but the stamp on the barrel says it is a 397..... 4.5 mm(177cal) So much for advertising..... :lol: :lol: but it does streak out those pellets and that is what counts.

Chuck.

Sorry I had to step out of here for a while a storm was coming thru and the juice was going everywhere.... (lighting) did not want ot burn up the puter.

I stand corrected it is a 397 , as you said.

A

Anonymous

Ben/Sher

Looking at the link; all the guns look the same. Before Benjamin bought Sheridan and then Crosman bought Benjamin, you could see there was a difference in the guns.
My Blue streak is a 1972 model so it may well be different mechanically than yours, but stoning the sear (without changing the angle) should help your trigger. Just take the tool marks off the face.

Doug

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
When I was a active duty Deputy Sheriff I had a person who would tune up the pistols I was shooting and using in competition.... I was one of the original 5 members of the Sheriffs shooting team back then in the dark ages.
We were quite good.

The person who did the work on the handguns was a really good guy and understood all of the functions of a pistol. As time progressed .... like it does and he was a lot older then me, things happen and he is in a lot better place then us at this time.

Today I just shoot for pleasure, not hunting or competition but just punching holes in a target, which I enjoy. At a later time it might provide some hunting pleasures but for now it is all I can ask for.

I am not going to try doing any modifications on it myself .... just enjoying it in the back yard for now.
Later when out paddling it can furnish supper. If not then I have plenty or items here that can....(Beenie weinees.).. but I like the Benjamin/Sheridan the best. Just call me ole fashion.................Those times were a lot simpler and a darn site more fun and I sure as heck want to go back for that , I really miss them.....even the Beenie weinees.... :roll:

You can have today ........... I will take yesterday or yesteryear and now I have the ability to do it .... Air rifles and wood boats on a river just to let me enjoy the rest of my life in the style as I did when I did not know any better and thought things would be better.

Big Mistake. The ole Jeep (a 47) , a canvas tent, air rifle, a fire and a full stomach ...... New jeep (2003) , modern tent or hammock, air rifle and a full stomach ... some things just do not change for a persons happiness.

As we progress in today's world ......... we regress for pleasure......... any way I do. :D

Chuck.

A

Anonymous

Friend Justin,

I aint seen no gun snobs on here. Gamo iz okay. Sad thing bout airguns iz that very few makers iz serious bout quality these days. Gamo aint very high on the quality scale, but if it shoots straight ever time ya shoot, ya got a keeper.

If ya order a pellet sampler ya kin learn a heap bout how the barrel on yer Gamo dont like ever pellet. They dont cost much....bout $35. Az I recall ya git near bout 25 pellets of near bout 25 different kinds in yer caliber.

Keep careful target records 'n find out which ones yer gun likes. Some guns like a heap a different pellets. Some dont like many at all. Even two of the same guns dont necessarily like the same pellets. [Same fer bullets in rimfires 'n cenral fires too.]

These days near bout all guns got lawyer triggers.:cry:

My favorite everday squirrel 'n pest bird terrorism exterminatin' tool iz a Beeman R-7, Icabod. Russ Best, a Connecticut Yankee who used ta spark Miz Martha Stewart, tuned it it up fer me. Two squirrels, two house finches 'n a rabbit today.

I got a custom made Crossman 2200 that haz a specialized barrel 'n some more. I took it ta the St. Mary, but I wuz scairt of Ole Sparkeys Curse 'n rust, so I left it in my truck.

My Slavia 631 wuz bout the best bang fer the buck, but Slavia up 'n quit makin' 'em. I aint ever been able ta scope it cuz it haz a funny rail. Its a few new ones still out there.

My first airgun wuz a RWS 48 in .22. It will drop a dog like a bad habit. I dont drop dogs 'er bad habits....jest tellin' how much power it haz.

"I aint like that no more. I aint the same, Ned. Claudia, she straightened me up, cleared me a drinkin' whiskey 'n all. Just cuz were goin' on this killing, that dont mean I'm gonna go back ta bein' the way I was. I jest need the money, get a new start for them youngsters. Ned, you remember that drover I shot through the mouth and hiz teeth come out the back of his head? I think about him now 'n agin. He didnt do anything to deserve to get shot, at least nothin' I could remember when I sobered up." William Munny "The Unforgiven"

I got a few more, includin' a Beeman P-1 (springer pistol that looks jest like the 1911) in .20. Shot two mice rite outta the fig tree outside the room we live in.....whilst visitin' with company aka witnesses.

Shootin' airguns iz cheap (pellets anyway) 'n mitey eazy on the ears. I paid near bout az much fer that R-7 az I did fer my Remington 541T. A bad thing with springers iz how they will ruin a reglar scope quicker'n ya kin fry a poodle. Ya gotta buy a airgun rated scope. Fergit all them cheap Simmons.

cheers,

bearridge

P.S. I dont fry poodles, but they go mitey good with noodles. :mrgreen:

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
"P.S. I dont fry poodles, but they go mitey good with noodles. :mrgreen:"

Yeah gadz! Another bloomin poet! :shock:
Look out Wadsworth! Longfella move aside! Betty Crocker! Yer still in there... :lol:

swampy Lorate o' th' Cypress

I am extremely acurate with my little Gamo pistol, for the price I have yet to shoot an air pistol I liked better. I liked a couple of Walters pistols, but they were a bit more expensive. If I was useing it for tourniments I would be a bit more of a stricler, but for me plinking in the back yard its a good gun for the money.

P.S. I havent been so fond of Beny/Shery since Crossmen bought them.

NativeCraft

Jun 3, 2004
coastal N.C.
Old Sparkey,
You like the good ol' days, eh? You should love shootin' my wooden longbow then...no sights, just field points and feathers. Shot two squirrels off the wife's bird feeder yesterday with it.....

Tom A.

A

Anonymous

NativeCraft said:
You should love shootin' my wooden longbow then...no sights, just field points and feathers. Shot two squirrels off the wife's bird feeder yesterday with it.....

Friend Tom,

Sounds like mitey fine shootin' ta me. One arrow, rite? :wink:

regards,

bearridge

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
NativeCraft

Back when I was able to do anything I wanted ... I have gotten a lot of critters with a Bow. In fact I still have quite a few here at the house. Might have to get them back out and see if they still work.

Long Bows and Recurves not this modern crap with all of the gadgets.

My take with a bow has been ... Deer .. Turkeys ... Hogs ... Quail ...Tree Rats...Bob Cats .... Dillers... a ton of fish and some other things I can't say because of the laws down here..

Yes, I really like the twang stick and feathered toothpicks we had a group I use to hunt with .....We called ourselves the Bushmen. (and still do) .

As time creeps up on you and you get older sometimes a person has to regress and with the Air Rifle ( just like I did when i was a kid out camping) I can still get supper when out paddling.

NO, Not what we use to get but today I am by myself out there the rest of the guys are in different parts of this country. So my needs for supper is a lot less.

They are with me in my thoughts but that is about it.......... When I sit by a campfire enjoying the pleasures of being out there... Makes me feel like a teenage again and remembering those times, YES they are just as good and the only thing that has changed is the means of getting something for supper from the wild and not the grocery store.. :D

Chuck.

NativeCraft

Jun 3, 2004
coastal N.C.
Oldsparkey,
Well, to be really honest with you - when I'm wanting to put some meat on the table (usually white-tailed deer here in N.C.), I'll break out my scoped rifle in a heartbeat. 'Course, I was sniper-qualified in the Army, so I take great pleasure and pride in 200 yard headshots so's I don't mess up the hide so I can have it tanned....
My wife took my BB gun away from me....to shoot the squirrels herself - says I miss too much with the longbow :roll:

Tom A.

A

Anonymous

Re: .177 Blue Streak?

Mutinousdoug said:
Chuck;
I thought the Ben/Sher Streaks were all .20 cal and the .177's were called the 397 or something.[/quote

That is correct. If it's not a .20 then it's not a Sheridan. Tho in truth both Benji & 'Dans are, as you know, the same gun these days.
The only good part about the new series is that they no longer require special tools to disassemble in oder to repair them.
In another post you said that you had a '72 Blue Streak. Hang onto it! That is one of the 'rocker safety' models, the best Sheridan made in the opinion of those who know domestic airguns.
The rocker safety guns lend themselves to blueprinting well. Without too much fanfare or incantations they can be made to cook. My favorite of the multitude of 'Dans that inhabit the premises spits a Premier down the pike at well over 700fps these days and is accurate to boot. It'll knock a Fox squirrel out of the tallest tree in the Ozarks.
Chuck is spot on about using airguns for canoe camping too. Though spring piston guns are quieter it's hard to fault a domestic multi-pump pnuematic for sheer practicality and toughness. And both the Benjamin & the Sheridan as well as the older Crosmans from the days when they were still make with steel are practical game getters.
They just seem a lot harder to pump these days. :shock: Tom

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
BB

I have one of the older Crosmans any way I think it is older one ... only have had it a good 50 years.
.22 cal with open sights , I have shot it so much I don't have to use the sights just point and go. It has gotten everything from coons to robins. Even used it when running a trap line, cause it is nice and quiet and I could do a little hunting while working the traps.

Had a neighbor (widow woman) and she liked those tree rats so I would get her a few while running the line and the darn thing had to run twice a day.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

I been lookin' back on the sad fact that I didnt save near bout enuff of what Prof Hoff wrote. I already give ya'll a peek inta the mind of a first rate pot stirrin' geezer.

This iz bout all I saved of Professor Richard Hoffman.
I led a rather insulated college teaching career because chemistry is rather far from the touchy-feely crowd who use tax dollars to inflict mortal damage on our young people. If you could listen in on some of the classes required of students, you would be outraged at the bias and bald-face lying proffered by some profs. Believe me, anti-gun hysteria is alive and thriving on the college campus.

Just for the heck of it, I used to sign up for classes taught by the worst of them in my corner of the world. Every time they went off on an outrageous path, I'd offer a vigorous quibble. Students loved it and the instructors were driven nuts. They even went to the extent of trying to have me banned from their classes as a "disruptive influence." It didn't work, because I was formally registered. When they fiddled, I burned, and they fried. They were happy when I retired.

Regards,
ProfHoff