Before Ambulances | SouthernPaddler.com

Before Ambulances

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Back in the ole times, before everbody had a ambulance, folks used ta call the undertaker ta bring a hearse. Once upon a time Allen wuz ridin' hiz bicycle on the loadin' platform by the railroad. He lost hiz balance 'n fell. Hit hiz head 'n knocked him out cold.

Somebody got Doc Hollingsworth ta come cross the street 'n check on Allen. Doc sez Allen iz hurt bad 'n needs ta be off ta a big city hospital. They called Johnny Bishop at the Nowell Funeral Home 'n he showed up quick az he kin. They loaded Allen in the hearse. Hiz Dad had showed up 'n got inside with him 'n Johnny. Hiz Mom followed up the 61 Blues Highroad toward Clarksdale.

Somebody must not have slammed the doors too good. Johnny wuz tryin' ta talk ta Allen's Dad, but the wind wuz makin' a terrible noise. These ole hearses had them double doors....like on the ole Lincoln Continental cars....gangster doors. Johnny wuz drivin' bout 90 mph when Allen's Dad set out ta slam them doors better. He opened one door 'n the wind ripped it open wide 'n slung hiz Dad out. He landed in the tall grass alongside the highroad.

All this give Johnny Bishop a heart attack. He crashed the hearse. Allen's Mom got ta a phone 'n they called the funeral home fer their last hearse. They called the Thweat Funeral home too. Purty soon both hearses showed up 'n one took Johnny Bishop, while the other took Allen's Dad off. They plum fergot bout Allen 'n left him behind strapped down in the wrecked hearse.

I seen Allen at the Mister Sam Walton Store this week. Ya caint hardly tell any difference. He quit farmin', plays some golf 'n hangs out at the $7 drive thru car wash.

The End.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Blind Lonnie the Preacher wuz late fer church, so me'n Leo, Jim, Dabney 'n John Raymond went ta tellin' a few tales frum the ole days. When I got home, I put two of 'em on here. I reckon ya gotta know Eddie, Allen 'n the others ta git a chuckle. :?