Any advice on trolling motors on canoes | SouthernPaddler.com

Any advice on trolling motors on canoes

Shacked

Apr 19, 2008
Jacksonville, Florida
Thinking about selling my kayak and getting a canoe, my wife can't fit on the kayak with me, and all of sudden she has developed an interest. I keep telling her I'm on the water, not at the local topless bar.

Any of you old timers or new timers using a trolling motor, what thrust, and how do you mount, and what works best for you. Looking at a old town mount and a M-K 32 Minkota. Will use on a Mad River Quest, 14.5 by 35 inch beam, tandem.

Thanks for any advice of suggestions.

Shacked

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
if you have any skill at all you can make a mount. I even made one that fit on the back of the canoe for in line thrust. Had an old 30# thrust trolling motor and it worked OK. Some I have seen, even use old 1.5 to 2 HP gas motors found at flea markets for 25-50 bucks. I had an old Neptune and cleaned it up, ran wonderful, a Buddy wanted it so I sold it to him for his canoe. I got another one, 2 HP Johnson for about 50 bucks. Cleaned it up and it ran as well, another Buddy had use for it as well. Now I'mk checking out flea markets and garage sales again.

http://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/browse.cfm/4,138.htm

http://duckworksmagazine.com/08/howto/canoe/index.htm

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
I use the Old Town side mount on an Old Town Camper with a Minn Kota Camo. motor. It has 44 lbs. of thrust and will push the canoe at about 4 mph (GPS) with two adults and fishing gear.

Mike

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Shacked and welcome aboard mate. :D

I know nothing about the leccy motors but they are very popular with canoe-sts here.

Been thinking about getting one for the pirogue for those lazy days just dragging a couple of lures round the local lake - bassin.

A mount bracket should not be difficult to make. :D

Shacked

Apr 19, 2008
Jacksonville, Florida
Thanks!

Looks like I may have a buyer for my kayak and will move on the canoe, appreciate the input. What a great forum this is, one of the best I have visited, a lot of knowledge and some good natured ribbing.

thanks,
Shacked

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Re: Thanks!

Shacked said:
Looks like I may have a buyer for my kayak and will move on the canoe, appreciate the input. What a great forum this is, one of the best I have visited, a lot of knowledge and some good natured ribbing.

thanks,
Shacked

I have no idea who forced you to say that but if I was you ... I would call the COP'S and file a Harrassment report. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Shacked,

My late wife liked an electric trolling motor on a canoe. In truth, I could paddle right off and leave her behind. Before you lay out money for the motor, battery, and mount, try paddling the canoe with a double end paddle for a while. You may still want an electric motor, or you may save some money.

word of caution

not that I would actually know this but........ ensure the business end of the motor (prop) is low enuff in the water so when you turn it the prop clears the bottom of the canoe. One of 2 things "will" happen
1) the prop will shear off the blades or;
2) the blades will slice a hole in your canoe
not that I would know...........