Animated kayak paddling hints | SouthernPaddler.com

Animated kayak paddling hints

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Seeing it done right really helps a lot. You know " A picture is worth a thousand words" kind of thing. Did you check out the drill where he got back in the kayak alone with the paddle float? You would have to be one of the Flying Walendas to pull that one off. :shock:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Several key tricks to the technique.

You cannot put too much weight on the paddle and paddle float. It can crack the paddle shaft.

You must approach the boat flat in the water, not vertical hoping to climb up.

You swim up onto the back deck going over the paddle. Head near the aft end of the kayak, belly down on the aft deck, you back your knees into the cockpit.

Turn around, reinstall the spray cover, and pump out the cockpit.

Rest a minute to get your bearings back, THEN regain the paddle and stow the float.

Now, start paddling again.

This is only an abbreviated list of steps, not all complete.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I think I'll stick with my pirogue. :) But , as soon as the weather warms, I'll try a deep water entrance in the pirogue. I guess I might need a paddle float, but I'll try without one first.

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Joey, DO IT WITH A BUDDY PRESENT. Please, do not go out alone to test your self-rescue capability. Penalty for error is catastrophic.

HINT: I wouldn't take along Piper San as a life guard. He'd get to day dreaming and wonder where all the pretty bubbles are coming from. sigh

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Kayak Jack said:
HINT: I wouldn't take along Piper San as a life guard. He'd get to day dreaming and wonder where all the pretty bubbles are coming from. sigh

He would be a BIG help. He could show the Coast Guard where to start looking. :wink: :lol:

Point well taken on the buddy system.

Joey