Action Fish Kayaks | SouthernPaddler.com

Action Fish Kayaks

DJR

Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi,

Firstly, hello! I've just joined, found this forum through a link on an Aussie woodwork forum and have been having a good read. Great to see a few Australians on the board too.

I'm just getting back into kayaking after a long break. Being into wooden boats also, I'm planning to build a wooden kayak (well, more than one...and maybe a canoe or piroque too :D ). Still in the looking around/deciding stages, but I'll probably do a S&G first to get on the water quickly, then a strip-built for a bit more of a challenge.

On the stip ones, I have been looking at a couple of the Action Fish designs (www.actionfish.com). Has anyone here built or paddled one? Any comments on wood quality, performance, etc? They look great but I don't know of others who have bult them, so would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance,
Darren
Australia

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Darren, Welcome aboard mate. :D

I know pecious little about stippers but with todays technology, S&G ply boats are darn near as good and a lot easier to do. IMHO

Here is a very nice S&G yak that might interest you. if not, have a look round the site. Matt is a great bloke, His plans are clear and concise and very reasonably priced.

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/proddetail ... 0899a44a62

If nothing on the site suits your needs, He also does custom designs to what you want at very reasonable prices.

Again mate, Welcome aboard. I love it here.

DJR

Apr 12, 2007
Hi,

Thanks Mick. I am looking at the JEM ones for the S&G. One boat I want to build will be for fly fishing, and a couple of his look nice and stable and roomy for that sort of thing. Definitely on the list.

Regards,
Darren

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Couple of Questions mate, if you don't mind. :D

1. How far are you looking at paddling?

2, Big lakes or small streams?

3. Do you want to stand to fish or are you happy to sit.?

I am aware that Matt has some very special boats on the drawing board at the moment - both canoes and kayaks and some hybrids between the two.

A very good fishing platform if you are prepared to sit, would be a shorter version of my South Wind. This is a superb paddlecraft. with no bad habits. There are a 14 foot and 16 foot ones being drawn up for me at the moment.

I fish from all of my paddlecraft and this South Wind is such a magnificent design that most of my other store bought boats are for sale. When I get the 14 nd 16s built, the others will be for sale as well. :D

DJR

Apr 12, 2007
Hi,

Have you got pics of the South Wind? Couldn't find it on the JEM website.

Part of the reason for building more than one boat is variety of uses...

1. River exploring, some small but also the likes of the Yarra, Murray, etc

2. Some bay/sea kayaking - Melb and Sydney harbours, off the beach for sea paddling

3. Fly fishing (sitting down) - something small and portageable, stable...was looking at the Mill Creek 13 as a good option

4. Longer distance paddling - excursions etc. Plus lakes (eg we go to Jindabyne each year and I want to paddle around that).

So, a good excuse to build a few different boats!

Have had a look at a few JEM ones, look like some good designs (obviously you're hooked!) but also want to do strip-built ones for the looks and challenge.

Regards,
Darren

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Darren,

Here is a link to my South Wind Build with lots of piccies and my unbiased review at the end :p

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/forum/view ... c67b0562f0

Here is another link to an assymetrical pirogue that I built. This is a serious skinny water boat and superb fishing platform. It paddles at least was well and mid range fishing SOTS and would leave most of them for dead.
http://jemwatercraft.com/proddetail.php ... ourPirogue

My totally unbiased review is in there too. :p

If you are looking and some fairly serious portaging,
you might like to consider one of these

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/proddetail.php?prod=Eno

I haven't built one of these yet but I think it has a lot of potential.

Matt's Swampgirl,

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/proddetail.php?prod=SG

Is also a very good option.

I sold mine a few weeks ago and haven't stopped kicking myself for it since. This one really is a brilliant all round boat. Rock solid stable, easy to paddle and capable as tandem. When I build all of the boats that I want to, I will definately be building another one of these.

I don't know anything about the Mill Creek boats but have heard some good things about them. I am very happy with Matt's designs and will be staying with him.

Kurt Loup

Sep 10, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
www.loup-garou.net
DJR said:
Hi,

On the stip ones, I have been looking at a couple of the Action Fish designs (www.actionfish.com). Has anyone here built or paddled one? Any comments on wood quality, performance, etc? They look great but I don't know of others who have bult them, so would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance,
Darren
Australia

Do a seach on www.kayakforum.com. I keep up with that forum and I don't recall anyone building one of their kayaks. There was a discussion recently about the kayaks.

Kurt