A short Skiff run on the Ocklawaha River. | SouthernPaddler.com

A short Skiff run on the Ocklawaha River.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
A short Skiff run on the Ocklawaha River. :lol:

Loaded the skiff up yesterday ( Thursday ) , got the camping gear packed and ready to go.
Today ( Friday ) took-out and drove the 2 1/2 hours to get the the Ocklawaha River. Arrived around 12:30 and when I pulled into Gores Landing ( a county park and camping area ) which is normally empty during the week.

"O" Chit.....The place is full of campers and there is a nice line of vehicles with kayak car-top haulers on them. I asked one camper where the kayakers went and he said up river..... The same direction I plan on going to get to the Osceola Camp site about 2 1/2 or so miles up stream.

Anyway I dropped the skiff in the water packed it with the camping gear then parked the Jeep and trailer. Got in the skiff and started out into the river hoping for the best .....It is fun and really nice to be in water where you can see the bottom 8 to 10 feet under you , this is nice.

DAM.....the way I have the oar locks set I keep hitting my knees on the back stroke , no matter how I positioned my legs. I was facing the bow and rowing in that fashion. The section of the river I was on has more twists and turns in it then a drunk snake , there are no real straight areas.

In all fairness to the skiff.................

This is not a problem caused by the skiff but a problem caused by the builder :oops: ...... When Mac rowed the skiff in Lake Kathrine ( calm water ) on it's maiden tryout it scooted along and he was facing the stern and pulling on the oars ,( the normal way of rowing and using the rear set of oar locks ) plus he was in one of the seats for a pirogue and not a fixed seat over the center rib but placed off center ( just forward of it ) when rowing. I placed the center seat over the rib not taking that difference into consideration.

Mac trying the skiff out in Lake Kathrine .............
bayou%20skiff%20079.jpg

Doing short strokes while facing forward on the seat and making slow progress against a 3 mph currant I might of been doing 1 1/2 mph , at the best , just less then a slow walk or relaxing , leisurely , stroll judging from watching the bank and weeds along the edge of the river as I passed by them.

Back to the river.............
I meet a guy coming down river and I asked him if anyone was camping on the raised area called Osceola camp on river right coming down river .... Yep , some kayakers have a tent city up there. DAM. .............I'm thinking to my self there goes my piece and quiet for tonight. No reason to go any further and fight this current since my campsite would be occupied.

So I turn around ....That skiff will turn on itself with no problems. Now going down stream the skiff will scoot along without any problems , especially in a 3 mph current. This sure beats rowing upstream.

Arriving back at Gores Landing , Backing the trailer in and loaded the boat up , pack the camping gear in the Jeep and aim for home. Tonight I will camp in my bed at home , it will be quiet there.
If Gores Landing had some spots for a hammock I would of been there tonight but the few places where a hammock can be put up the tenters had them occupied. As I said the place had a lot of campers there , more then I have ever see except for when it is hunting season.

This is a Friday , the place is suppose to be empty since the weekend crowd comes out tomorrow.
Then the light dawned and I realized why the place was full of campers with more coming in and setting up. Thursday and Friday night there is suppose to be a meteorite shower that will not be seen for a lot more years , a once in a life time opportunity. The river and Gores campground are idea places to watch the stars since it is in the middle of the National Forest.

Things I found out.........

1. The skiff was not designed for going against a good current , it is a slow process when doing that under geezer power.

2. The skiff when going down stream in the same river will really scoot along. So I'm calling it a down river boat for streams with a good current in them or for flat water use , which it was intended for.

3. As far as # 1... A trolling motor on the back should correct that problem since it is not a boat to fight a river current with when going upstream , that's why they make motors. Then float and fish or paddle back down river.

4. The skiff is a stable boat , you can get a lot in it and it is solid ( lots of stability) in the water with a nice shallow draft. I am really pleased with the stability and how it handles.

5. It is a very responsive boat to the operators wishes and maneuverable without losing any stability.

6. Packing it for a trip , just pull the side up on the sand and load it then push it off , hop in it and get comfortable.

7. When returning , run the bow up on the sand , walk up front and step out , then swing the side in and unload everything from the boat.

8. No matter where I stopped while on the road , someone wanted to look at it and ask all sorts of questions... Especially about making it , the cost to make it , where do I find one. Plus everyone I talked to said it would be a good fishing boat where it would excel in the quiet waters of a lake. I was in the Ocala National Forest which has a multitude of small lakes in the back country for fishing.

In summary about the camping .....

Even a trip that does not go as planned is better then no trip. As a friend ( John Deppa ) likes to say..." Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes he gets you ".
I saw some beautiful country , a great river , managed to be on the water a little and see how the skiff handled. Plus when I got home it was real easy to put the gear away , did not have to clean or dry anything , except the boat and me , mostly me since it was just below 90 degrees outside.

Chuck..........

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Nice looking boat.

Did you try rowing in the normal manner? I feel like you should be able to make a lot more horsepower pulling the oars than trying to push them. Is it possible that your feeling that the boat isn't suited to working up river had more to do with rowing Cajun style than it did with the boat?

I understand about traveling backwards, but remember we are only talking about like 5mph here...it isn't that hard to look over your shoulder every couple of minutes. (now I have to admit that all the rowing I've done has been on a lake, not on a narrow river, so maybe I'm wrong on this)

Definitely more horsepower rowing in the conventional direction. Not trying to be a wise guy here, but that's why people have been doing it that way for centuries.

George

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
George....

I agree with the standard style of rowing , pulling you have a lot more power then pushing.
The Ocklawaha River does not have any straight places in the upper part that I like to go to. Plus it is not that wide and in some places rather narrow for not looking at where you are going. The river bends and twists around more then a drunk snake on hot pavement. When it is on the Ocklawaha again it will have a motor of some sort on it , probably a 30 pound trolling motor.

The skiff handled like it should in fact it handled really well and I am very pleased with it. The problem was with the person in it. I should of tried it on a calm river without a strong current in it and a wider river so you could turn around and row.
I know in Lake Kathrine it was a dream to row and really scooted along when Mac rowed it the traditional way. In fact it surprised me how easy it was for him to row and the speed of the boat when I was taking the pictures from the shore.

caddepa

Aug 27, 2003
New Jersey
Sorry things didn’t work out according to plan, Chuck. But I wouldn’t go so far as to say the “the bear GOT you”…..more like a nip on your butt. After all, you got away from the house for a while; you had a learning experience with the skiff; spent a short spell on the river; and you got an ego boost with all of the compliments on your boat design and craftsmanship (which I will ditto). :D

That little skiff looks very familiar. Any chance that it’s similar to the one Hairy Mick is building? :?:

One thing puzzles me, Chuck, why not fall back to a Plan-B. There are dozens of campgrounds and beautiful lakes located in Ocala Forest, why not move to one of them to finish out the trip? Hopkin’s Prairie would be great to see how the skiff performs through grass and lily pads; Lake Delancy has lots of shallow open water; or you could have put in above Rodman Dam and navigated through the tree stumps on Lake Ocklawaha for a few hours. Only thing I can figure is that you had your mind set on that one specific campsite and didn’t (or couldn’t) think beyond that. :?

As for an alternate means of propulsion, I had a little 2-stroke, 3.3 HP Mercury that I could carry with one finger (not one of those old cast iron clunkers like Bill Logan had on his canoe). This one has a small internal fuel tank with enough capacity for a camping trip, and you can always carry a spare pint (of gas). That way you avoid the cumbersome external fuel tank, or battery for a trolling motor. But I think once you get the seat/oar lock distance right you will have no need for a motor of any kind. Now, a small sail would be another story……. :wink:

A word of caution: Whatever you do, DO NOT even suggest that Mac might be a better oarsman. His head will get so big that he won’t be able to wear a hat for at least 3 years. :)

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Chuck, Good report and review mate. Sorry things hadn't turned out with the camp for you. Sometimes a plann "B' is a good option.

John, yeah mate same design but Chuck's is a lot prettier than mine.

I just checked my build and found the begger to be 5milimetres out of plumb on the bottom so had to cut out the transom and re-think some. mine is going to be 4 inches shorter now. :oops:

caddepa

Aug 27, 2003
New Jersey
Hairymick,
I thought the 2 boats looked very similar. Perhaps my memory is not totally shot.

I just checked my build and found the begger to be 5milimetres out of plumb on the bottom so had to cut out the transom and re-think some. mine is going to be 4 inches shorter now.

We don’t worry about those little millimeters over here in America. Chuck’s boat is probably off a lot more than that. Perhaps that’s what enables the boat to travel straight with Mac at the oars! :)

Hope you are still planning a visit. With the US dollar so low, you will be wealthy over here.

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
Chuck, I was wondering about your skiff with the fixed seats and banging your knees after I tried mine and found the same thing happened to me, not because of the seat being fixed but because it was higher than the standard seat due to the swivel platform thingy I made. I took it back apart and made it 3 1/2 inches lower, hopefully that will solve my problem. They had a spiffy little trolling motor at the bass pro shop in Ft. Myers. Minn Kota 30 lb thrust, 30" shaft around $115.00. BUT THEN, there is that nasty ole battery to consider. Probably adds at least 45-50 lbs just for that. 10 - 12 lbs for the motor, making the little outboard seem more and more attractive. No difference to the tax man, still needs FL numbers either way.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
captaindoug .....

The seat in mine was to high and as you found out you do hit your legs when rowing it. Lowering the seat will correct the problem. Or building a raised area for the oar locks to raise them.

The trolling motor looked like the best deal but after considering the weight of it and the battery there is a disadvantage to the combination and that being the overall weight. The other disadvantage I can see is the placement of the batter and the space it would take. I could use that space for camping gear that weighs a lot less.

As John Depa said , the new little gas motors weigh a lot less and offer more horsepower to push the boat along. The little 4 stroke Suzuki ( 2.5 HP ) weighs 30 pounds for the whole thing. Plus it is a 4 stroke so it would be quiet and not use a lot of gas on a trip.
On a light weight boat that is only 14 feet ( 13.9 feet ) it should push it really well and the tax man does not care what motor you use all he wants is the $$$$$ to register the boat for a motor.