A GOOD PICKLE!! | SouthernPaddler.com

A GOOD PICKLE!!

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Get you a jar of Bread and Butter Pickles. Pour out the brine and add a goodly(to taste) amount of horseradish to it in a pot. Bring to a boil. Let cool then add back to the pickle. TASTES GOOD!! KAHUNA :D

Pirogue

My dad made home made pickles, and pigs feet in some jelled nasty looking stuff. He said his tasted just like Grandpa used to make when he was younger. :roll: (blech)

I suppose when you had 7 mouths to feed you just have to make do with what you had.

Kahuna, Jack, I hope ya'lls taste better

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Pirogue said:
My dad made home made pickles, and pigs feet (SNIP)
Being a kraut, we had pickled pigs feet, sause (head cheese), pickled tongue, sauerkraut, horseradish, etc. etc. all the time.

I offered a pickled tongue sandwich to my youngest daughter one day. "YECCH! I don't want anything that comes out of an animal's mouth"

"OK, I'll fix you a fried egg sandwich." sez I. Her older sister double over trying to hold in the laughter.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Mr. Yuck!

:( My grandparents on my mothers side(The Chek, Pole, Russian Side), made that headcheese, pickled pigs feet and tongue and some kind of hog blood pudding sausage :shock: called kiska. Funny thing though, they only ate it when they were half soused and raved about how good it was, now why did they have to be half soused to eat it? No one ate it fully sober. I was a young fella back than and watched in amazement how they they would pound it down after an evening of too many brews. Thats some stuff I never wanted to learn how to make and never will. They were all hard workers in this Pennsylvania coal mine area and I remember there watering holes would even have a jar of pickled eggs and pickled pigs feet sitting at the end of the bar. Don't run across much of that these day's. I also remember the ole fellas cracking open a raw egg into a draught beer and swallowing down the whole thing. What is the reason behind that? Yep, they were tough ole birds and I guess I'll never be that tough.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kahuna

A question for you..........

I just purchased a new jar of some Talk O' Texas Pickled Okra ....Do you think it work the same with it.
It is nothing but Okra, Water, Vinegar, salt, Natural Spices, Calcium Chloride and Polysorbbate 80. It is a little short on the brine but there is a lot in the old jar.

I do add some Hot Sauce to the jar before enjoying the Okra and I do like horseradish. (never have thought about adding some)

Jack ..... My Grandparents or my parents could not walk past a jar of pickled pigs feet.... Had to stop and enjoy some. Yes we are Krauts also. I never got past the looks of pigs feet , but I have a friend ( Southerner) that loves fried pigs ears , they look pretty good.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Re: Mr. Yuck!

oldyaker said:
(SNIP) The Chek, Pole, Russian Side(SNIP) Yep, they were tough ole birds and I guess I'll never be that tough.
... and Chuckie weighs in with his European heritage, & Andy Szymczak could weigh in & Kahuna & Pirogue, etc. etc. etc.

America ... is not a melting pot. We are a STEW pot. You get the benefit of co-mingled flavors, and you can still separate the carrots, potatoes, onions, etc. from each other. But the flavors are common.

In a melting pot, you form an alloy. Each of the parent materials loses its unique identity and a new, common mass is formed.

We are a stew pot.

Some of us got scorched bottoms.

Pirogue

Grandpa would also eat head cheese samiches.

Not long before Grandpa passed, we were all at my uncles house. My uncle had a dog named Moosehead. We affectionately called the dog Sh!% head.

Well Grandpa is in the kitchen making his head cheese samich. My dad walks in, looks at the dog and says "whatcha doin Sh!% head?"

My Grandpa answers "Oh nothing much just making lunch".

We laughed so hard. It's one of my favorite memories. :lol:

*****By the way*****
I am: Greek, Hungarian, Polish, Irish
A real mutt

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Yep!

Jack, never thought about it but your right!

Pirogue, You have me laughing so hard there tears in my eyes as it brings back a favorite memory of mine.

We are headed up to my grandpaps hunting camp, one flatbed truck in the front with Mr. Mancini in it and one of my Uncles driving.(This story comes from the Italian side of me, dads side, you have to remember there was alot of broken english spoken in those days.) Anyway, in the second car is my grandpap, his brother, my dad and myself. Mr. Mancini wasn't a hunter but he loved to hang around camp and cook for us.
Well, were following the truck and beside this little mountain grocery store , the truck pulls off the road and Mr. Mancini runs back to the window where Grandpap is sitting. He yell's to grandpap, " I forgota da blacka peppa! (Black pepper) I'm a gonna getta some." Grandpap turns around from the front seat, looks at us in all seriousness and say's "What the hella he wanna waxa papa (wax paper)for?"
English so broken even they didn't understand each other! :roll:
Well, those of us in the back seat were laughing :lol: so hard our kidneys were busting and we had to find a tree. I don't think grandpap ever knew what had just transpired. Makes me wonder what stories our kids will remember us by when were gone?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kahuna

I went ahead and tried it.

Took the ole juice from the okra and dumped it into a pot then added the horseradish and to kick it a bit added some of my home made hot sauce, Heated it up and made a mistake........... DON'T lean over the pot and take a deep breath ......it does clean your sinuses out. Has to be the hot sauce.

Let it cook a little and dumped it back in with the pickled okra..... Then I could just not resist it any longer and just had to pull one out and try it..........Enjoyed it and then .......got on the puter to tell you anddddddddddddddd

Back in a minute................or several..............

OK ......I think my lips will be OK. :oops:

Man a cold beer is good medicine........It has to be the hot sauce, next time I will use less, but it is just so goooooood. Always wondered why the wife likes my hot sauce ........ she uses it as a paint remover on anything that is non flammable.

I think I might be able to salvage the pot but who cares I got some gooooood Okra and clean sinuses.

Kahuna .... Thanks for the tip, the rest of you are safe with this cause you don't have my hot sauce.
Chuck.

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
RE:pickles and OUR Family Heritage

Funny thing..sitting here reading everyones stories. Makes me realize how much like brothers we really are :D I have eaten everything you guys have mentioned. Learned it from my parents and grandparents. Italian and Polish :D Never tried cooked tongue...would if I had some :D I love good head cheese. Have made it. Have a good recipe for Kiska!! I'll post. Also my POLISH Pickled Eggs. This discussion has choked this Big Kahuna up. It was about time today. I lost my best buddy two years ago on this day. My beloved Polish Grandmother. She taught me allot. :D Got choked up writing this... :cry: But that is a good thing. :D Being the oldest of a family of five kids I have always taken it upon myself to keep the old traditions alive and create new ones. {:O) We can't let our children forget them. Gotta keep them alive :!: Gotta have my Polka Music when I camp :D Thanks you guys(and gals) :D KAHUNA

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
I know yer making her smile ...
I bet she told you to trim down on the hot peppers too!

Now boiled eggs!!!! Love them wicked things!

I grew up in downriver Detroit in the European neighborhood and Hungarian, Polish, German, Chec added to my Irish, Scot, Netherland and German back grounds kept me full and entertained for a life time.
I'd carry fried chicken one day for lunch and kilbasa the next...
I haven't seen Blood Pudding mentioned yet.......

swampy

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Boiled Eggs.

Boiled Eggs.
Glass gallon jug.
About 48 medium eggs boiled about 11 minutes. Peel and drop in jug.
Also, drop in jug as much garlic and Daves insanity sauce as you dare or any hot sauce.
In a sauce pan, bring to boil about 2 quarts of Heinz white vinegar.
Drop in 2 Tbsp. pickling spice.
Pour over hard boiled eggs making sure to cover eggs. Cover loosely.
Stick jug in fridge and forget about it for two weeks.

Pull jug from fridge. Get a salt shaker, pepper shaker and Tabasco bottle.
Sit down with six pack and enjoy. Not good to be in the same room with wife next day :oops: .

Kahuna, my mother makes them with beets, your granny ever do that?
Makes purple eggs.