A Bayou Dorcheat Pirogue | SouthernPaddler.com

A Bayou Dorcheat Pirogue

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
A few years ago I built my Son a pirogue we called a Lake Bistineau pirogue because of the similar fiberglass boats in the area. https://www.southernpaddler.com/community/threads/a-lake-bistineau-pirogue.9886/
This is an updated and improved(we hope) version. I will call it a Bayou Dorcheat pirogue because that is where we fish the most. The bayou is the tributary that feeds the lake. The original boat has worked very well, but there is no perfect boat so all one can do is to keep trying.
IMG_5239.JPG
IMG_5235.JPG

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Looks good JD. I have such happy, peaceful, memories of time spent on Dorcheat, blessed to have spent a good 30 years living there. Of course I have questions; length, beam, depth,angle of flare, sides and tumble homes? Is that a bump rail on the side tumble home seam? I hope some day we can sit down and visit, maybe even put in together at the hiway 80 bridge, or Cotton Valley road. That trip is probably just a wish!
I recently finished a similar stitch and glue version of the same type of boat. I'll post it later. Well wishes to you and your family.
Andy

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks guys for the compliments. :)
I hope the slight changes will make a differance. I'm surprised Jack hasn't noticed the most obvious one.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Oh!! Ohh! (Jumping up and down here! Waving my hand in the air! OMG! I wet my pants in excitement!

“The square stern! The square stern! Right, grampa?”

some o’ you guys don’t know that JD is my grampa. On my shelf here in my living room, is a kayak that he made me. I’m proud of my grampa!

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
"Square stern" is an acceptable correct answer. Technically it may be classed as something else because it has other features that make it not square. It is not pointed so "square stern" is ok.
IMG_5238.JPG

IMG_5230.JPG
IMG_5232.JPG
IMG_5231.JPG

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
These piccies, from several different perspectives, show a complex rear end (on the boat). The design bespeaks a special purpose, maybe more than one special purpose?
I suppose you could slip a small outboard on there? A 1 or 2 horse kicker?

texastom

Jul 29, 2013
Dallas
Nice work as always Bee. Did you put anything on the floor for traction? I can't tell if it's a reflection, or a gritty surface.

Seems like I saw one here or TKF that had salt or sugar (?) sprinkled on to provide better footing.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Looks good JD. I have such happy, peaceful, memories of time spent on Dorcheat, blessed to have spent a good 30 years living there. Of course I have questions; length, beam, depth,angle of flare, sides and tumble homes? Is that a bump rail on the side tumble home seam? I hope some day we can sit down and visit, maybe even put in together at the hiway 80 bridge, or Cotton Valley road. That trip is probably just a wish!
I recently finished a similar stitch and glue version of the same type of boat. I'll post it later. Well wishes to you and your family.
Andy

A fishing trip would be great. I'm south right now dealing with Hurricane Idea damage that I put off doing. Your boat looks fantastic and the light weight has to be a joy.
My boat does have a "bump rail" or outside gunnel. Protects the sides but also helps cover/seal the plywood's edges.

The floor is coated with truck "bed liner". Not gritty or abrasive but does offer some slip resistance and. I was concerned with the black color and heat build up in the summer, but that has not been a problem in the other boat. Little of the floor is exposed to the sun after paddler and gear are loaded.

Last edited:

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
The transom has a batter board of sorts. My hope is the "narrow at the floor" transom and the "wale tail" shaped batter board will help with the drag associated with "skiff" style transoms. I hope it works because it took me three tries to shape and fit it.
IMG_5201.JPG

IMG_5202.JPG

IMG_5204.JPG

Last edited: