4.8 oz Camping Chair | SouthernPaddler.com

4.8 oz Camping Chair

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Yep , a camping chair that weighs 4.8 ounces.

Now that I have your attention it's basically a small hammock since it is cloth and straps. It's from Terrapin Outfitters , https://www.terrapinoutfitters.com/ and called the hatchling.

There are several different configuration's available along with a wide variety of colors and different weights.

Unlike hanging a hammock when both straps are the same height on both trees.
To set it up you attach a strap to one tree , this strap is set higher ( this determines the angle of the backrest ) The other strap is set lower ( this becomes the seat ). There are a multitude of configurations ( angles ) it can be set up in. You can go from a chair to a lounger to a gear loft.
On mine I have the continues loops on each end so by attaching the straps the the trees. Then with a Beckett Hitch ( Also known as the Hammock Knot ) http://theultimatehang.com/2016/04/25/hammock-becket-hitch/
at the chairs continuous loops. This saves additional weight since any hardware is not needed. The straps total weigh is 2.8 ounces.

By removing it from the chair mode at night and over to the Hammock I can use it as a gear loft. The gear loft can either be over or under my Hammock to store everything in. This keeps the backpack , gear and anything else out of the weather and off the ground.
Hammock campers have to option of using their hammock as a chair but for tent campers who want some camp comfort and light weight this could be the answer you are looking for.

This is what I got............
Hatchling™ Layers: Single Layer
Single Layer Hatchling™ Size: Large
Single Layer Hatchling™ Material: 1.6 HyperD-Solid Colors
SL-1.6 HyperD Colors: Dark Olive
Straps: None

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
A few questions:
1. How much does the necessary tree weigh?
2. Outside of the "Eastern Woodlands", the eastern 1/3 of the CONUS, where do such trees grow?
3. In an organized campground, trees can be scarce, and poorly located for these purposes.

On our geezer trip, several guys low slung, light weight chairs. When seated, your butt is about 4" above the ground. Geezers had a lot of difficulty getting in and out of them. Several fell trying to get seated. All had to roll out of them onto their hands and knees, and then struggle up. My 18oz chair seated me at chair height, and has a back support. I'll stick with that for now. If I camp on my bike, no chair goes along. Sit on the ground.

Good for all of us to have choices.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
A few questions:
1. How much does the necessary tree weigh?
2. Outside of the "Eastern Woodlands", the eastern 1/3 of the CONUS, where do such trees grow?
3. In an organized campground, trees can be scarce, and poorly located for these purposes.

Answers......
1. About that much , might be a little more or a little less , just depends on which strikes your fancy.
2. Over yonder , thereabouts , down the hill a piece and sometimes even up there.
3. Organized campgrounds ???????? I camp where the Bears and their Ultra Soft Charmin can be located.

Choices are good and it's best to use them up before they are gone.